Need Suggestions to control MistAway (mosquito) system

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2015 9:30 am
eme jota ce offline

Need Suggestions to control MistAway (mosquito) system

Installing a MistAway mosquito control system. It sprays a chrysanthemum based mist through nozzles placed around the yard / swamp.

Would like to integrate it into Indigo, but do not have programming skills. Looking for any hardware and / or plugin suggestions. (My searches here and via search engines have not resulted in any solutions, but I may not be using quality search terms or even know what I need.)

The Mistaway system can be programmed to spray on a schedule controlled by it's internal clock. Not bad, but would be better to control via Indigo to (1) decrease spraying frequency, (2) avoid spraying during high winds or other times when spraying would not be effective, (3) avoid spraying or provide warning to avoid directly spraying a person or pet in the yard, and (4) allow for extra sprays in the evening or when needed.

The system comes with two systems for control, beyond the timer. I hope one of these would allow integration into Indigo:

Remote Control. I believe this is RF based. It has three buttons: MIST, Stop Mist, and Skip Next Mist. If there is a way to make Indigo send those commands, that would be perfect. Would just turn off the Timer, then have Indigo send the "MIST" or "Stop Mist" command based upon time, weather, occupancy, etc.

iMistAway system. This has a module that connects to my router via ethernet cable and a receiver that is placed on the MistAway's pump / control unit. This is a standalone app and offers little useful functionality beyond the remote control's (to this user). Pictures of the gateway unit's label and the receiver module are below. I can see the XBee gateway on my network. A screenshot is posted below. Noting that one section references "Python applications to run."

Thanks very much for any suggestions.
mjc
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 11.35.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 11.35.25 AM.png (115.15 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG (396.16 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (300.88 KiB) Viewed 3599 times

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2015 10:19 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Need Suggestions to control MistAway (mosquito) system

I have a mist system also, but I removed all but the pump and connected the 120V pump input via a standard power cable to an insteon external power on/off switch (or zwave work too).

Then from indigo switch it on and off per schedule, skip via trigger when its raining .. . Very simple works nicely.

I can send you a pic tomorrow. It is really VERY simple to setup

Karl

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2015 5:38 am
eme jota ce offline

Thanks Karl,

Very helpful. Does your system have an agitator?

I was considering something similar - adding an Outdoor Insteon On/Off module Model 2634-222. to just cut the power to prevent any of the scheduled sprayings.. The manual says there's enough battery to power the clock for six weeks without power. Keeping the schedule but cutting power via the Insteon switch would let Indigo prevent spraying when too much wind, rain, vacation .... but we'd still need to use the remote control to call for an extra spray. Your solution solves that problem, though. Allowing Indigo to just power on / off, on demand.

A picture would be great. We are finishing the installation, today.

The reason I ask about the agitator is that the pre-programmed schedule will first trigger a 30 second agitator to ensure the mix is homogenous and to decrease (bacterial?) growth. It can also be programmed to agitate before any extra sprays are requested via the remote control. Possibly, that is also 120v and could be wired to a separate Insteon outdoor switch.

EDIT - just went outside to look at the system. They installed it as two separate zones, instead of one, which means there is an actuator I probably need to keep that control box. .

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 am
kw123 offline

here my setup

120V == insteon switch =std power cable===== connector ==== pump
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 12.05.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 12.05.21 PM.png (359.08 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 12.02.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 12.02.09 PM.png (461.65 KiB) Viewed 3508 times

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2015 4:07 pm
eme jota ce offline

Thanks Karl,

I showed the pictures to the installers, but they were concerned that we'd have no way to (1) run the agitator and (2) control the actuator that flips from zone 1 to zone 2.

Still, placed an instead outdoor switch on the unit so that I can kill the power. Tonight, the wind is high enough that noseeums are not a problem. Indigo was able to retrieve wind speed from NOAA and Weatherunderground, then cut the power to the MistAway so that it didn't spray during the high wind.

If I learn anything more about the Xbee system, I'll post here.

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2015 7:59 am
AndyVirus offline

Not the most elegant but if you just want to use the 3 buttons on the remote, can you get a spare remote?
If so then you could solder the contacts of the remote to 3 relays which would complete the curcuit sumulating a button press.
This is what I had to do for my Velux windows and wotks perfetly, though i only use the up and down buttons not the middle "stop" button.
I used a usb relay board from easydaq (which is a nativly supported plugin in indigo). http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=13724&p=94082&hilit=velux#p94082.
Hope that helps, or atlest another option to ponder.

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2015 5:43 pm
eme jota ce offline

AndyVirus wrote:
.... can you get a spare remote?
If so then you could solder the contacts of the remote to 3 relays which would complete the curcuit sumulating a button press.
I used a usb relay board from easydaq (which is a nativly supported plugin in indigo). http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=13724&p=94082&hilit=velux#p94082.
Hope that helps, or atlest another option to ponder.

Very cool suggestion. A little over my abilities, but I have an extra remote, YouTube (for DIY soldering) , and a willingness to learn , once work allows.

In the meantime, I'll use more Indigo hacks. The mistaway can be programmed to spray up to 30ish times per day. Noseeums are worst around sunset. Since I can't program indigo to make it spray (yet) I might just add more spray cycles around the range of sunrise and sunset, the. Have indigo turn ON the power to the unit only when I want to one of the mistaway programmed spray times to actually fire. For example, set morning sprays at 5am, 5:30, 6,6:30, and 7am But have the power OFF for all but one of those, depending upon wind speed, sunrise time, home status, etc.

My insteon network is highly, highly reliable, except for a couple trouble spots, which are still highly reliable. Will just need to monitor this new, exterior insteon device to see if it's reliable enough not to allow overspray.

Still, I like your suggestion better. Is it reliable to have it simulate push buttons? Seems that these remotes require a long "press and hold" to activate the mistaway.

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2015 4:30 am
AndyVirus offline

Yeah, i had to learn from scratch too (proabably not a very good job but it works) but there was no other solution so on to ebay i went to find a bunch of spare remotes to practise on. Only managed to kill one entirely by haing the soldering iron on too hot and holding it on the board for too long frying the chip! Dont let that pu you off trying though, that was before i checked out some youtube videos and found out what "tinning" was. I started by practising soldering bits of wite i had laying about until i was getting confident then tried the remote. 6 worked, 1 I killed. Not bad for a first atempt I think :)

It is perfectly reliable. I have never had an issue with any button presses (or lack of). My issue was i needed to press the button for a very short period of time so i had to use python to tell it to turn on the relay and back off again with in 0.75 secconds. The remotes i have work when momentaritly pressed OR you can hold down the button and let go when you want the shade to stop.
So for you pressing and holding is alot easier as you can have the realy make contact (On) then a deayed action for off for say 15 seconds later. So in your action you have to specify On and Off otherwise it will spray forever (like holding your finger on the button).

I went with a 24 relay board as i needed 12 remotes (1 relay per button) but easydaq do a 4 relay board and there are a few other options suppoerted by Indigo plugins such as Phidgets (though i have not seen exactly what is supported or used Phidgets yet).

The only issue i am working on is powering all the remotes as eventually the batteries wil die. You batteries will die quicker if you holding the button down for long periods of time so might be worth getting a matching power adapter for the remote at the same time so once done you never need to look at it again.

The final option would be to slip the local hobist shop some cash to solder the remote for you as im sure they do it all the time then all you have to do is connect the wires up to the relay blocks (screws). To test the remote works after the soldering is done just touch the wire pairs together for the correct button and you should get spray for the duration of the connection.

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2015 11:02 am
kw123 offline

if you are into these things you could check out the ARDUINO solution.
Probably you don't need any relays just connect one of the button pins to the output with a diode in-between with the ARDUINO digital output pin (need to experiment which one) and the other with ground.
Then create an action for the ARDUINO momentON (or OFF) for 0.1 secs.
You then should have an action that presses the button for 0.1 secs. The action time is about 0.1-0.5 seconds between action start and actual button switch. Current cost: $55(*) for ARDUINO with ethernet (+power supply). It can support 10 buttons.

Karl

(*) if the mini pro+the new wifi card works its $20

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:42 am
eme jota ce offline

Thanks Karl and Andy for the great suggestions to control the Mistaway. I had not considered soldering or ARDUINO.

Didn't make it to those solutions because the MistAway system didn't survive the 30-day trial period. Noseeums (as biting midges are called locally) would return to invisibly devour backyard inhabitants in as little as 15 minutes after a misting cycle's completion.

For anyone else trying this system in the future who locates this thread, Karl and Andy's solutions would provide superior integration and control. Lessor control, during a trial period, is still pretty effective by just adding an outdoor Insteon switch, then having the MistAway's power turned off if the wind (via WeatherUnderground plugin or other weather plugin) during it off 5 fines before a normally scheduled misting if the wind is above 8 or 9 mph.

Page 1 of 1