rfid sensor/tags in indigo store

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 pm
kw123 offline

rfid sensor/tags in indigo store

http://store.indigodomo.com/insteon-iolinc-rfid-proximity-reader-kit-24950a9.html

is there any documentation available for this?
1. range / distance between RFID tag and sensor
2. I guess (1) in range state 1 (2) out of range state 2?
3. can 1 RFID tag be linked to multiple detectors?

anyone any experience with these devices?

My goal is to integrate with eg FINGSCAN to improve detection rate with 2 or more RFID sensor placed properly so that it can detect inside/ outside by state and timing of events of RFID tags (first the outside sensor then the inside sensor ==> arriving ...etc)

thanks

Karl

Posted on
Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: rfid sensor/tags in indigo store

I don't know the answers to your questions, but you might want to ask Norm if you can borrow the kit to give it a try.

Posted on
Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:39 pm
berkinet offline

The tags look suspiciously like EM4102 type tags. Those, and most similar entry technologies are close proximity only. Typically a useful range of 10cm, depending on the reader and what is between the card or tag and the reader. In other words, you have to hold the tag up to the reader.

BTW, note the following from the product description: ....users can simply hold a key tag up to the reader ...

Posted on
Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:10 pm
ChopOMatic offline

I'm very interested in the approach you described, Karl: Using two RFID readers to establish direction of travel and thus able to distinguish between departure (lock the door) and arrival (unlock the door).

There's an outfit selling a long-range RFID Indigo kit that will definitely do it, but the starter kit is $500.

I've just ordered some Arduino gear in hopes of building a self-contained, battery powered RFID reader that can be put together for $50 or so and that can be used exactly like that.

I'm also exploring similar uses for iBeacon tech.

Page 1 of 1