Venstar WiFi Thermostat API

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:56 am
freshwuzhere offline

Venstar WiFi Thermostat API

I see Venstar has released its latest API http://developer.venstar.com/assets/ColorTouchRemoteControlAPIv3rev1.pdf for Direct control of their wifi thermostats (not sure how new this is- says Jan 22 2014).

I was about to buy 7 X Nest thermostats ($249 each) for my new house but the whole uncertainty about unsupported API (Google's purchase of Nest will probably mean change - not sure for better or worse) - and Nest Plugin's total reliance on the internet connection left me a little concerned I might be wasting my money. Venstar T5900 ($278 with wifi) with pretty pictures is similar spec to Nest (minus Nest's learning - which can be quite irritating).

Question is does anyone have feedback on the Venstar API direct control and the Venstar T5900 thermostat itself - especially vs the Nest?

I realize I'll probably be writing the plugin myself.

Ian

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Venstar WiFi Thermostat API

(moved to a more appropriate forum)

I haven't looked at the API or the thermostat so I can't really comment.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1