Unintended Insteon command

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:33 pm
rafsel offline

Unintended Insteon command

I am getting a series of unintended Insteon commands, all on the same device. The latest one was early this morning:
Code: Select all
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:55:03 AM
   Sent INSTEON                    "MBR Outlet (Lamp)" on to 30

The previous and subsequent entries in the log were at:
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:23:51 AM
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:00:00 AM
These are far enough away from the problem to not be relevant.

I'm trying to track down where this is coming from.
Is there some way to turn on additional debugging to see how the Insteon command was initiated?

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:43 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Unintended Insteon command

I don't think there is. Have you tried factory resetting the device? If that doesn't work it might be an indication that the device is failing.

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm
rafsel offline

No, but I will reset it.
However, the log message seems to indicate that the Indigo server is sending the device the Insteon command. Am I reading this wrong?

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:03 pm
ryanbuckner offline

You're reading it right. I think if someone presses a physical button you get "Received INSTEON" and if it's triggered by a control page , touch, or the client you see "Sent INSTEON"

If it was an Action , or Trigger, or Schedule you should see that in the log as well.

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:38 pm
rafsel offline

Right. There is no indication in the log that it was caused by an Action, Schedule or Trigger. And it wasn’t manually turned on. So that leaves a control page . I wonder if it’s possible that a control page could send it spontaneously? This doesn’t seem likely.

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:38 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Did you try to right click on the device and "Show Dependencies" to see where the device can be accessed?

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:47 pm
rafsel offline

Yup, and its dependencies are Actions, Schedules and a Control Page. And since the log showed no evidence of it, being an action, nor a schedule, I’m assuming it was from a control page. I did verify that when the appropriate button is pressed on the control page. It generates a log entry similar to the one that happens early in the morning. So I’m assuming that somehow the control page is sending the command. I’ll add some debugging statements to prove that conjecture to try to get to the bottom of this.

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:25 pm
ryanbuckner offline

The other possibility is that it's linked to another device? or thinks it is?

Posted on
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Note on the Action UI panel for Triggers and Schedules there is a checkbox that suppresses the logging of the trigger/schedule. In that case you won't see anything in the Event Log about the Trigger or Schedule, but any commands it sends out (like above) will be logged. It could also be from a script or plugin you have running.

Posted on
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 am
rafsel offline

Found it! I'm using the HomeKit Link plugin and somehow the HomeKit enabled my test Automations.
Don't I feel silly. :oops:

Page 1 of 1