Warning of a possible conflict with El Capitan 10.11.6

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 am
macmacmansions offline

Warning of a possible conflict with El Capitan 10.11.6

Has anyone else had issues after installing the latest security update?

I lost connection with my Powerlinc 2413U last night, and nothing that I tried could get it to find the USB port. (It's a new unit - a couple of months old.) Unplugged for 10+ secs, changed USB port, power outlets and USB cable.. nothing. I didn't do the factory reset - that was my last resort and I wanted to check for other culprits before resenting every single link.

There had been a momentary power cut and surge earlier in the day, but that was 5 hours before the log showed its first problem. But it did coincide with restarting after the OS security update.

Ran the recovery program and reinstalled the OS from the last time machine backup before the update, and a mere 3.5 hours later, all is as well. Coincidence? Or could the update have reintroduced some USB instability?

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Warning of a possible conflict with El Capitan 10.11.6

There have been a variety of USB subsystem issues with each macOS release over the past several years, so that might have been what you experienced. If your Mac has USB3 ports on it and this problem continues to happen, you might want to try a USB2 hub and plug the PowerLinc into that. We've had reproducible results in that scenario - it appears that the OS either isn't always identifying USB2 devices on the USB bus or isn't communicating with them reliably.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the server forum since the server is responsible for connecting to the PowerLinc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm
kw123 offline

Added a usb3 card to Mac Pro 3.1 2008. Since then all usb connections work fine.

Only issue indigo does not find insteon modem at indigo start. Need to restart insteon interface then it works fine. That one is still in the usb2 on board outlet

[EDIT] after I moved the insteon modem to the new USB3 card it works fine .. ALL INDIGO MODEMS now on the extra USB3 card. no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm
durosity offline

FWIT I find the built in USB on my Mac Pro 3,1 utterly unreliable, to the point where I couldn’t even get a new z stick to be recognised properly. The USB3 card I added works perfectly and I don’t think I’ve had any issues with it!

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1