Another 7.1 license question

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am
Umtauscher offline

Another 7.1 license question

Hi Matt and Jay,

what I read here about 7.1 licensing changes confuses me.

What are the differences in licensing?
Is the installation now dongled to the Mac it is installed on?
What will happen if i replace the Mac hardware?
Could you please elaborate what changed with 7.1?
TIA
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Another 7.1 license question

Umtauscher wrote:
What are the differences in licensing?

Licenses are now acquired directly from your Indigo Account rather than via a Registration Code. Other than that, nothing has changed.

Umtauscher wrote:
Is the installation now dongled to the Mac it is installed on?

The Indigo license has always been for one server instance. We now enforce this by activating it to a particular Mac.

Umtauscher wrote:
What will happen if i replace the Mac hardware?

Before you move to the new Mac, you need to first deactivate the old Mac in the Licensing dialog. Customers should contact us if the activated Mac is no longer available.

Umtauscher wrote:
Could you please elaborate what changed with 7.1?

The 7.1 Release Notes cover all the new features and bug fixes.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks Jay for taking the time to answer.

Nevertheless I don't like what you are telling me and I think you have changed a lot concerning the licensing!
So what you are saying: If you go out of business and or your server(s) are down or both our installations will become useless. I cannot see, how that's not a significant change.

Is it that you are not trusting your customers or what is the cause for this change?

I am not amused - and I will NOT update until this is resolved.

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
So what you are saying: If you go out of business and or your server(s) are down or both our installations will become useless. I cannot see, how that's not a significant change.

That isn't what we said. If our backend server goes down then your already activated license will continue to run fine on your Mac. In fact, that was one of the core requirements we had when switching to the new licensing model. I even implemented it so that the Indigo Server won't pause for a single millisecond on launch waiting for the server. As always, usability and customer experience are a huge focus for us.

This does not, of course, allow Indigo to run on a different Mac than it was activated on, so in the event they we are no longer in business we will release a utility to provide license transferring and/or a bug fix release that allows transferring. But for server outages you will be totally unaffected in ability to run Indigo. Additionally, Indigo 7.1 is a transitional release in that it does not require you to authenticate with our Indigo Server for activation (although it will prompt you upon every launch). Indigo 7.2 will require authentication, but only if it wasn't done in 7.1.

Umtauscher wrote:
Is it that you are not trusting your customers or what is the cause for this change?

It is several different things. For one, having licensing tied to a registration code just doesn't work well. People lose their registration codes, they make typos entering them, etc. We also want to get the Indigo Server paired with everyones' backend Indigo Account because there is potential for optional cloud-based functionality we can provide in the future. This is step one in that process of being able to offer some new functionality.

And yes of course, some people "misunderstand" the licensing model and think they can install Indigo Server in more than one house. Having a licensing activation model that more accurately reflects the actual license helps avoid that misunderstanding.

Umtauscher wrote:
I am not amused - and I will NOT update until this is resolved.

That is your decision to make. We most definitely will never be going back to the previous activation/licensing scheme.

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks Matt,

I undestand your explanations but I am still not at all comfortable with that.
It's quite a step from a simple reqistration code to complete control over your customers.
BTW I think that change is the only real "feature update" for nearly a year in my opinion, at least for me.
So all in all I'm sad to say: I am not so much a fan any more.

Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
...The 7.1 Release Notes cover all the new features and bug fixes.

You guys might want to update this, as I didn’t see any mention of the new licensing methodology and this topic seems to be what has folks most up-in-arms.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
You guys might want to update this, as I didn’t see any mention of the new licensing methodology and this topic seems to be what has folks most up-in-arms.

We have rearranged how we're announcing releases and we just figured it out (cart before the horse thing maybe). Anyway, official announcements of new feature releases, that include an overview and discussion of things we think are important to outline, will now take place on our blog (see the 7.1 Announcement). On the Announcements forum, we'll just post the release notes (bullet point list with little or no discussion). We think this is a better approach since the blog is meant for longer textual descriptions. They will of course link to each other.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 pm
neilk offline

I actually think the new model is cleaner and easier for your customers and it prevents genuine customers breaching the terms in error. I personally hate license keys and getting straight to my subscription status is a bonus. You guys are responsive and fair for genuine situations so I struggle to see how this is a huge change. I for one am still a fan, where else would you get the whole company responding to questions on a support forum on a Saturday afternoon for the price we all pay. Of course more rapid releases would be great but quality and support is more important to me and the work under the covers is obvious recently even if it does not yield a vast amount of new features.
Just my view ....

Page 1 of 1