7.1 license question

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:33 am
lochnesz offline

7.1 license question

Matt, Jay,

Until 7.1 I was able to have a staging environment (I believe that this was discussed in a topic a while back) making it possible to test things without affecting the production environment . Now your activation model in 7.1 makes it impossible.

Is there a way I still can have a lab server with only one license?

Peter

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 am
CliveS offline

Re: 7.1 license question

I also see that as a negative and have not updated my laptop version even though 7.1 still allows remote access.

Recently I was modifying the IP9528 plugin and with my python knowledge (or lack of :? ) I was able to actually modify it without affecting my live Indigo Server.

It may well put off plugin authors from updating or writing new plugins if it costs $250 plus yearly updates or chance crashing the live server.

Is it possible to allow a few devices to work like the trial version if a valid license is entered and then you can lock that to a second development machine?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Users needing a development specific license should contact us off forum with the relevant details.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 pm
lochnesz offline

Just did, no luck though. :(

It isn't for plug-in development, but for staging and testing.

EDIT: Previous thread regarding this: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2124

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I've updated that previous thread (that was 10 1/2 years old) to reflect the new state of the licensing situation.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:36 pm
lochnesz offline

This was not so much just a reference to the old thread, more like describing something that would be nice to have (or continue to have), it helps a lot to be able to test things on a staging server.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Understood. I agree it would be useful and we'll consider it, but for the time being it isn't possible.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:22 pm
lochnesz offline

A suggestion would be that one license can activate one production server and one staging server. The difference between them would be that the staging server only runs a total of 25 days total up-time per month. A staging server probably wouldn't need to run a full month (can be shut down between tests etc.), while no one would want a production server shutting down several days a month.

Just a thought.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:23 pm
FlyingDiver offline

lochnesz wrote:
This was not so much just a reference to the old thread, more like describing something that would be nice to have (or continue to have), it helps a lot to be able to test things on a staging server.

What kinds of things do you test on a "staging server"? Plugin developers need a full server so we can test code without effecting production. But what are you testing that would interfere with the production server?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 pm
lochnesz offline

It can be python scripts, triggers, actions, etc. Basically anything that can affect the installation most importantly alarm functions but really anything that the rest of the family would find annoying if it made the system unstable.

I understand that plug in development is something else, but I understand that there is a special licences for that.

Page 1 of 1