Can't connect via client app or web, but touch works fine?

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect via client app or web, but touch works fin

I think you're missing the point - on the client (in your example, the printer) you just specify DHCP. I don't recall any device in recent memory that doesn't support DHCP. What am I missing?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm
howartp offline

If you install a networked printer (on Windows, in this instance) you create a "Standard TCP/IP Port", give it the IP Address of the device (printer) and give it a name.

When you print, your print job is sent to the IP address.

If your IP address has changed for some reason, the printout never appears because it can't find the printer.

So, you have three choices when setting up the printer itself. (Never mind the windows/Mac end-user device)

1) DHCP and nothing else.
2) DHCP then log into router and reserve it
3) Static IP

1) has potential for the IP to change after DHCP lease expires - typically 8 days on a windows server, but no idea what typical expiry on routers is. EG if printer is left unused (turned off) for 8 days.

2) and 3) both provide fixed IP addresses - but 2) is never documented in instructions cos 3) is simpler to tell end-users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I seriously doubt that home users will be configuring IP print servers... ;)

Configuring a manual IP address on some home-oriented devices can be cumbersome and sometimes impossible. And if it does support it then the user has to learn the UI on each device which will be different. OTOH, if they just use the default DHCP setting on the device it will start working immediately. Then, should the need arise, they can learn 1 UI (on their router and in their router's documentation/help system usually) to assign IPs for any device that it makes sense for. That also makes it much easier to avoid duplicate IP addresses since you see all of them in one place rather than have to separately document what IP is assigned to what device... :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Having managed both types of networks, I have to agree with Jay here and use DHCP reservations for pertinent devices in my house. If you back up your router configuration (which you should be doing!) on any big change, resetting the router is no problem, you just restore the configuration. Further, if a device goes bad and must be hard reset - such as my Onkyo receiver a while back, many a people's Xbox back in the day, etc. then you have to remember or try to find it's static IP to set it back up so all clients can still connect. With DHCP reservations you just reset it and boot back up and it will pick up it's assigned address.

I find devices go out FAR more than my router...

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 pm
FlyingDiver offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Having managed both types of networks, I have to agree with Jay here and use DHCP reservations for pertinent devices in my house. If you back up your router configuration (which you should be doing!) on any big change, resetting the router is no problem, you just restore the configuration. Further, if a device goes bad and must be hard reset - such as my Onkyo receiver a while back, many a people's Xbox back in the day, etc. then you have to remember or try to find it's static IP to set it back up so all clients can still connect. With DHCP reservations you just reset it and boot back up and it will pick up it's assigned address.

/agree

(We need a thumbs-up emoji)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am
howartp offline

DC, looks like everyone's ganging up on us now.

:-(

:-)

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:32 am
johnpolasek offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

The problem at my mom's house is that the ISP insisted on installing their own router/DHCP server and won't give us admin access to it... so rather than setting a second router between theirs and our local network, we took advantage of the fact that they start serving IPs at 192.168.1.100 and up,letting us put all our static devices below that..

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 am
Different Computers offline

I'm not holding up static IPS as The Way.

But it's The Way when your craptastic CenturyLink DSL router has been completely replaced >3 times, not always with the same model, and the config backup utility has proven less than wonderful.

I live in breathless anticipation of SpaceX's worldwide satellite wireless.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:18 am
roussell offline

howartp wrote:
DC, looks like everyone's ganging up on us now.

:-(

:-)

Maybe I'm old-school (Get off my lawn!) but I always PREFER to use static IPs at the device when possible. Some of my reasons are no longer valid in today's world for home use, but some are debatable, if nothing else. Also, similar to Howartp, I come from decades in corporate, critical care, and industrial IT; old habits die hard.

For home use, I stand by the statement that "IF you can assign a static IP, you should." My Arduinos, RPi, servers, laptops, wall mounted tablets, IP cameras and networking (router, access point, etc.) devices all have static IPs. Most are on specific VLANs and/or grouped in IP ranges according to their type/function (VLANS are admittedly atypical for most home use; my network and systems are definitely more corporate in nature...) Cell phones and non-wall-mounted tablets all have DHCP reserved IP addresses. I would love for the Sonos devices to have static IPs, but there is no provision to do so, so they too have reserved IPs. The 3 Onkyo receivers I have also have reserved IPs, because they are notorious for forgetting a static IP so I gave up. Interestingly enough, the Pioneer receiver in the media room refuses to communicate when configured with a DHCP derived address, so it's static. Also, my firewall is separate from my network switches, sometimes the firewall is restarted for updates, or to help diagnose an internet problem - I don't want to lose local connectivity for my devices when that happens - not all devices cache and retain DHCP information the same way so dropouts can and do occur when the DHCP server goes away for an extended period.

Reserved or static - I maintain an updated Google spreadsheet with every device, it's MAC address, IP address, VLAN info and other stuff; again, old habits die hard... My last HA server lasted 10 years, it always had the same static IP (as does it's replacement). I can't tell you how many routers I've been though in that time. Why introduce an additional potential failure point if you don't have too? It's not like you're changing the IP once assigned; even if you do it nowhere else, put a static IP on your Indigo server and be done with it.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:44 am
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:

Getting off the subject, but satellite wireless is a pain in the patootie. No matter how fast it is, you've still got the latency up and down that makes remote desktop a patience building exercise...

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
Different Computers wrote:

Getting off the subject, but satellite wireless is a pain in the patootie. No matter how fast it is, you've still got the latency up and down that makes remote desktop a patience building exercise...

I totally agree. My brother had satellite service several years ago. The speed itself was fine, but the latency was amazingly annoying. And anything realtime(ish - he tried WoW LOL) forget it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Professor Falken wrote:
Is there a way to force the Indigo running Mac Mini into a permanent ip address (and is this a good idea)?

So, to circle back to the OP, yes, there are ways to do this. Two primary ones, both of which ultimately work equally well. The difference is primarily how they are managed, and clearly from the discussion everyone has a favorite approach, each with strengths and weaknesses. It's a healthy discussion and I give Terry the award for the most geeky rationale (VLANs FTW)!

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 am
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
It's a healthy discussion and I give Terry the award for the most geeky rationale (VLANs FTW)!

Whatever... Can't a guy have a server farm at his house and not be branded a geek??? :wink:
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.31.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.31.22 AM.png (10.96 KiB) Viewed 2669 times

Terry