Power Outage Mess

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm
CraigM offline

Power Outage Mess

Last night we had a ±2 minute power outage in the neighborhood. My server never lost power [UPS], but boy did the outage hose Indigo. I have experienced much worse outages, but they never required me to spend hours of work to bring Indigo fully alive.

* Both Pioneer receivers would not respond. Plugin just stated "connecting". Restarting the plugin didn't fix. Fixed by unplugging/replugging their LANS, although the 1123 device state goes from ON to ERROR, OFF displays correctly. FYI the 1021 device state shows ON/OFF correctly.

* Both Venstar adapters would not respond. Fixed by unplugging/replugging the adapters from the stat

Out of desperation I unpluged/repluged the 2413U, "couldn't hurt?"

Everything SEEMS to be working properly, but I did an INTERFACES>INSTEON>START SYNC INSTEON DEVICE LINKS after the 2413U re-boot and this is what I have:

Starts off fine
1.png
1.png (43.92 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

Then some mismatch
2.png
2.png (25.37 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

Then a never ending sea of red
3.png
3.png (66.25 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

I manually stopped the sync

How can everything be working with so many errors?

I definitely want to clean this up before upgrading to v7 from 6.1.10

Any advice Matt, Jay?

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Power Outage Mess

Unfortunately power outages can sometimes put INSTEON modules into bad states. Normally unplugging (or removing the power to the module) for a bit can help, but sometimes a full factory reset is needed. Try shutting down the Mac and unplugging the 2413U from both the power outlet and the Mac for 10 minutes, then plug it back in and restart everything. Can you then re-sync the INSTEON modules?

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:16 pm
CraigM offline

No luck, I'm still getting an endless stream of (resending previous command - failure response) errors when I
INTERFACES>INSTEON>START SYNC INSTEON DEVICE LINKS

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It might have malfunctioned as a result of the power outage/spike. Try doing a full factory reset of it:

1) Unplug it from both the power outlet and the Mac.
2) Wait 10 seconds.
3) Press and hold the SET button on the side of the PowerLinc.
4) Plug it back into the power outlet. Continue to hold down the SET button.
5) Wait 10+ seconds and release the SET button.
6) Reconnect the USB cable and try a re-sync in Indigo again.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:23 pm
CraigM offline

Matt, am I at risk of making my whole HA non-functional by doing this if it doesn't work?

From what I described, is the data on the 2413U bad, or the Indigo DB? If the DB is corrupt and you wipe the data from the 2413U aren't you attempting to sync [copy] corrupt data onto the 2413U which would now have no previous data?

I just want to feel safe that I can't make things worse, especially since everything seems to be operational despite the sync errors.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your Indigo database file is fine. The problem is the 2413U is either malfunctioning (bad flash memory would be my guess) or in a bad state. If it is just in a bad state, then a factory reset might help. The gotcha is that if it is malfunctioning, then after the reset Indigo may not be able to re-write any of the links into the 2413U. The result of that would be loss of functionality (like PowerLinc based scenes/groups, and maybe worse). So there is a risk that things will become less functional after a reset. If that is a concern, then you could go ahead and order a spare 2413U to have on hand in case it is a malfunctioning 2413U (versus it just being in a bad state).

Page 1 of 1