using older mac pro for server, how to keep safe w exp. osx

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am
kw123 offline

using older mac pro for server, how to keep safe w exp. osx

I am planning to move my old 2008 mac pro to the back and make it the indigo +.. server.

As the mac pro will run out of support this summer - when el capitan goes to unsupported -- I was wondering how to keep security up to date.

Question to those that still use leopard etc: what do you do about keeping security up to date.
I am happy with a frozen OS X system, but still would like to make sure I have good protection against malicious attacks.

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: using older mac pro for server, how to keep safe w exp.

If you don't use a web browser on that machine, and don't open emails, and make you have a good firewall in place, then your odds of getting attacked would be very low. If you eliminate all the possible vectors for malicious code to get to that machine, then it's going to be pretty safe even if the OS is not up to date.

I recommend something like Little Snitch to protect against any external attacks and to let you know if any apps you are running are trying to do something untoward.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 am
MartyS offline

Joe is right about limiting what you do on the server, and having a firewall setup for inbound access and Little Snitch for outbound. "Training" Little Snitch and looking for inbound firewall connections that need to be opened up to local network systems can take some time, but is really worth it (even for a system running Sierra) when security is a concern. Have the fewest inbound ports accessible as possible to minimize your exposure to outside probing. Check out Murus for a super easy GUI way to get your firewall going. It has a Murus Lite version that's free.

For an older OS I suggest getting MacPorts installed. With it, install openssl. You can branch out from there to install newer versions of SSH, Perl, Python, etc. as you desire. Apple tends to be "behind" in patching many command-line components that may or may not expose your unsupported system to abuse. You can go overboard with installing things with MacPorts so concentrate on key things.

My headless 2GB, 2.16GHz Core Duo 10.6.8 server handles Indigo (including Homebridge), TimeMachine and CrashPlan backups for all local systems, NTP time service, MRTG and a bunch of lesser-important stuff. Your Mac Pro would run circles around my machine… and never break a sweat. I envy your hand-me-down machine!

/Marty

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 am
pvrfan offline

Um, how much power does a 2008 Mac Pro use when running 24X7? Could be expensive!

Craig

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

pvrfan wrote:
Um, how much power does a 2008 Mac Pro use when running 24X7?

Lots. A whole lot. I have the late 2008 model that was my dev Mac for years and it's super power hungry. It's currently running as my production server, but only until I can justify the cost of replacing it with a mini. I've had like 5 ebay outbids on used minis (they are quite expensive) over the past several weeks so I've about decided to just buy a new one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 pm
kw123 offline

just an update.. moved indigo back the the MAC pro 2008 (el capitan) and it works fine. And the mac 2014 mini (sierra) is back as my desktop

on the MAC Pro: with security spy (8 cameras) and 650 devices in indigo with a lot of updates the cpu usage is at ~ 10-15% sometimes up to 25% - half of it is from security spy
on the Mini it was ~ 30% ... 60% without security spy.

I hope the 2008 mac pro will last some more years. -- 8 and counting

Karl

Page 1 of 1