Indigo server hangs

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:53 am
webdeck offline

Re: Indigo server hangs

I'm not running Sierra. I don't use HBB, just homebridge, and I'm not seeing any hangs.

roussell said he was running homebridge by itself for a while with no issues - the hanging didn't start until he introduced HBB, so that seems to be the trigger.

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:04 pm
cuhouse offline

I was getting hopeful to be able to report good news. :?

The system ran for over 30 hours before hanging at 12:10 PM today. Per web deck's suggestion, I had excluded my lock device and restarted the system. I was still also just running the HBB plugin and terminated all apps except for Indigo7 and Terminal.

All previously reported indications remain the same as with the other hangs.

I did capture the following as MartyS requested:
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.02.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.02.28 PM.png (63.8 KiB) Viewed 3222 times

Jody
Attachments
homebridge.log
(468.26 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:27 pm
MartyS offline

cuhouse wrote:
I did capture the following as MartyS requested

Unfortunately, at the time you took the screenshot the only process with "node" in its name wasn't the node we were looking for. :( So for you we'll have to look elsewhere since it doesn't appear that JavaScript was hung — this time.

/Marty

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Note that I don't see a "node" process in my process list either - I see "homebridge". I'm using the built-in hb installed with hbb.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

webdeck wrote:
roussell said he was running homebridge by itself for a while with no issues - the hanging didn't start until he introduced HBB, so that seems to be the trigger.

I think Sierra is also required. I wonder if there's something about the built-in HB installation with HBB that's the issue. I believe earlier in this thread someone was using the HBB version that didn't include the built-in HB install and wasn't having any issues. Of course, I don't know for sure what OS they were running.

I also think there was someone reporting the problem without HBB running. Maybe a HB version issue in combination with Sierra?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:01 pm
cuhouse offline

jay (support) wrote:
Note that I don't see a "node" process in my process list either - I see "homebridge". I'm using the built-in hb installed with hbb.

Jay,
If you open terminal and run top, you don't see node? This is where I am seeing the stuck process not in Activty Monitor. You can see the example of mine posted in this thread on Mon. Jan 30th.
I have reverted back to my normal setup with HBB disabled.
Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:02 pm
webdeck offline

ps shows the process name as homebridge and top shows it as node

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:07 am
Different Computers offline

Sierra + I7+HomeBridge continues to run like a champ for me with HBB disabled. I haven't tried turning it back on to see if it crashes.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

webdeck wrote:
ps shows the process name as homebridge and top shows it as node

Gotcha.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

@webdeck, is there any way to run the compiled HB version inside HBB directly (without the plugin)? I think that's probably the next step in the diagnostics. We'll need someone with Sierra to try that.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:26 am
roussell offline

I can help with the tests, if somebody would point my to the latest/most-appropriate version to test against Sierra. I used (and had my problems with) the one that was at the top of Colorado4Wheeler's HBB plugin sub-forum, but I'm not sure if that's the correct one.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 pm
webdeck offline

jay (support) wrote:
@webdeck, is there any way to run the compiled HB version inside HBB directly (without the plugin)? I think that's probably the next step in the diagnostics. We'll need someone with Sierra to try that.

Sure. First, stop your custom homebridge. Then install HBB, make sure it isn't running, and then disable the HBB plugin. Then you should be able to run these commands to copy over your custom config and run the embedded homebridge manually:
Code: Select all
cd "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins (Disabled)/EPS Homebridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/bin/hb/homebridge"
./createdir test
cp -rp ~/.homebridge/* test
./load test

You can see the homebridge log file in test/homebridge.log

To stop the server, run
./unload test

-Mike
Last edited by webdeck on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:51 pm
cuhouse offline

jay (support) wrote:

Anyway I can help let me know. My system never had the manually installed HB just HBB running on Sierra 10.12.3.

Thanks,
Jody

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

webdeck wrote:
First, stop your custom homebridge. Then install HBB, make sure it isn't running, and then disable the HBB plugin. Then you should be able to run these commands to copy over your custom config and run the embedded homebridge manually:
cd "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins (Disabled)/EPS Homebridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/bin/hb/homebridge"
./createdir test
./load test

To stop the server, run
./unload test

Excellent, thanks for that. This would be instructions for someone who used a manually installed HB at some point, correct? Terry, can you try this?

I'm also assuming that anyone who has HBB running can just shut down the plugin, then go to that directory and do a:

./load 123456789

where 123456789 is the ID of the homebridge device in Indigo (I seem to have one in there that matches)? @cuhouse can you give that a try? Make sure to leave the HBB plugin disabled.

Anyone else who's experienced the problem can follow these directions above - if you at any point have run HB from a manual install then try the first set of instructions. To reiterate, the goal here is to run the precompiled homebridge that's distributed with the HBB plugin without the plugin running/managing it. If it runs without issue, then it's likely that there's something about the plugin that's triggering the problem. If it continues to fail, then it's likely that the precompiled HB is the issue.

Thanks everyone for helping to get to the bottom of this. Debugging these sorts of issues can be a major time suck given all the permutations so having you guys involved closely should make the diagnostic time much shorter than if just one person were trying to figure it out.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm
webdeck offline

jay (support) wrote:
webdeck wrote:
First, stop your custom homebridge. Then install HBB, make sure it isn't running, and then disable the HBB plugin. Then you should be able to run these commands to copy over your custom config and run the embedded homebridge manually:
./createdir test
./load test

To stop the server, run
./unload test

Excellent, thanks for that. This would be instructions for someone who used a manually installed HB at some point, correct? Terry, can you try this?

Correct - this would only work if you had a manually installed homebridge with configs in your ~/.homebridge directory.

jay (support) wrote:
I'm also assuming that anyone who has HBB running can just shut down the plugin, then go to that directory and do a:

./load 123456789

where 123456789 is the ID of the homebridge device in Indigo (I seem to have one in there that matches)? @cuhouse can you give that a try? Make sure to leave the HBB plugin disabled.

Correct, that should work for anyone who has a configured HBB install after the HBB plugin has been disabled.

Page 7 of 9 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9