Indigo server hangs

Posted on
Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:51 am
Frakke offline

Indigo server hangs

Hi,

Since a couple of days my Indigo server hangs at night and today just an hour ago..

See images below.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

thanks!

regards
Attachments
Indigo2.png
Indigo2.png (41.46 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
Indigo1.png
Indigo1.png (28.22 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

Posted on
Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm
Swancoat offline

Re: Indigo server hangs

I get this a lot as well. I think the SERVER actually runs though. Seems like things happen like they should. But I sit at the computer and can't interact and then I see that little dialog box.

I click 'start' and it actually stops the current server. Then you can actually start it and everything's back to normal. It's like the client loses contact with the server for some reason. Shouldn't be a network issue - it's running on the local machine.

I'd love to hear suggestions.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm
midd offline

My system has been doing it too lately. I get the Server Connection Status pop up. After a few seconds it seems to reconnect.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's almost always a result of one of these:

• A runaway embedded AppleScript stalls the server so it can't communicate with the client.
  • A plugin is having some kind of difficulty and is causing a lot communication with the server, which slows down any communication with the client.
  • Something else on your system is eating up CPU cycles causing everything to slow down. Some networking issues will cause lots of long (30s) network timeouts that may slow things down.

When you get that dialog, one thing to do is to open up Activity Monitor and see if there's anything eating up lots of CPU. For instance, if you have the Developer menu enabled in Safari and you have caches disabled, you'll often get a runaway process called nsurlstoraged (or similar) and that will eat well over 100% cpu. This is a known bug in Safari on Yosemite and above I believe.

Point being that anything eating up lots of CPU will cause the client to timeout when trying to talk to the server.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:04 am
Frakke offline

jay (support) wrote:
That's almost always a result of one of these:

• A runaway embedded AppleScript stalls the server so it can't communicate with the client.
  • A plugin is having some kind of difficulty and is causing a lot communication with the server, which slows down any communication with the client.
  • Something else on your system is eating up CPU cycles causing everything to slow down. Some networking issues will cause lots of long (30s) network timeouts that may slow things down.

When you get that dialog, one thing to do is to open up Activity Monitor and see if there's anything eating up lots of CPU. For instance, if you have the Developer menu enabled in Safari and you have caches disabled, you'll often get a runaway process called nsurlstoraged (or similar) and that will eat well over 100% cpu. This is a known bug in Safari on Yosemite and above I believe.

Point being that anything eating up lots of CPU will cause the client to timeout when trying to talk to the server.

Hi Jay,

I'm afraid that isn't the case, see image attached. Also, nothing is working any more at this moment. So, no connection to server from anywhere, client on iPhone, web, ...
Any idea how to troubleshoot this further?

Regards
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.02.29.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.02.29.png (241.16 KiB) Viewed 4202 times

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:46 am
midd offline

I've noticed that my server usually hangs when I'm trying to do an action with HomeBridge Buddy. Even the Homekit app buttons will just say "updating".

I'm thinking one solution would be to run a schedule that will reload the app every hour or so.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Frakke wrote:
Also, nothing is working any more at this moment. So, no connection to server from anywhere, client on iPhone, web, ...
Any idea how to troubleshoot this further?

The next time it occurs you can try manually killing the IndigoPluginHost processes one at a time, then try to reconnect to the server to see if it starts working. Before killing the IPH processes determine which plugin it belongs to by getting info its info (in Activity Monitor) and looking at the open files/ports panel. In there you should be able to identify which plugin it is. Hopefully after killing one of the IPH processes reconnecting to the Indigo Server will work and we'll narrow down where the problem is coming from.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 am
bkmar1192 offline

I reported this exact issues here: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=17711

I have been trying to track it down for awhile but have not figured it out yet. My only recovery has been a complete restart.

Which plugins are you running - maybe some comparison of notes would help.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 am
cuhouse offline

I wasn't sure which topic to respond to but since Bert came over here, I will follow :)

I have had two server "hangs" since I upgraded to Indigo 7 on January 14. I unfortunately didn't follow my crede and made two changes at the same time. I got anxious and also installed HBB later in the day.

I am running the following 3rd party plugins:
Announcer
Arduino
Cynical Behaviors
Cynical Security Spy
EPS - Homebridge Buddy
Foscam Controller
Phidgets
Smartphone Radar
Survey
UPS and Battery Monitor

Since the second and most recent server hang on January 17, I have stopped email scanning, disabled Foscam Controller and stopped the HBB server (didn't disable).
I had captured the Activity Monitor while the hang was ongoing. I will follow this thread and advise if I find anything concrete that could help.

Thanks,
Jody
Attachments
Activity Monitor 1_17_17.png
Activity Monitor 1_17_17.png (218.18 KiB) Viewed 4139 times

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am
DomoPat offline

I had one server hang exactly like you describe last week, and the way out for me too was to restart the Mac. It was 24 hours after I got HomeBridge Buddy working, and the only two plugins we have in common are HBB and Cynical Security Spy. I would suspect something happening with HBB, as Security Spy hasn't changed in a long time.
Now it is almost a week after and I am still running HBB and no further 'hang'...

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:59 am
midd offline

For those of you who installed homebridge buddy, did you attempt to install homebridge via Webdeck viewforum.php?f=191

and then install HomeBridge Buddy? I did and now I'm wondering if a combo of the two is bogging down the server.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am
cuhouse offline

midd wrote:
For those of you who installed homebridge buddy, did you attempt to install homebridge via Webdeck viewforum.php?f=191

and then install HomeBridge Buddy? I did and now I'm wondering if a combo of the two is bogging down the server.

Mine was just Home Bridge Buddy. No previous install via Webdeck.

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm
bkmar1192 offline

I installed Homebridge awhile ago and was running without HBB so don't recall how I did the initial installed.

Looks like HBB is the common thread here though. That said I've been running with HBB active for about24 hours with no issue - previously it was crashing almost every night and sometimes multiple times a day.

Maybe a particular command or action in HBB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm
Frakke offline

Also homebridge buddy with webdeck previously installed..

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:54 pm
midd offline

I created a schedule that every hour will reload the HomeBridge Indigo server. The option is built right into the Device Action of the schedule.