Indigo server hangs

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm
bkmar1192 offline

Re: Indigo server hangs

bkmar1192 wrote:
On Friday night I went through my server and removed all thing homebridge. I did a "sudo find / -name "home" and deleted anything that was related to homebridge. I also removed all aliases and wrappers. I then reinstalled HBB. I have a very simple setup right with just a single lamp running.

So far no crashes. I'll be slowly adding things back in over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:01 pm
bkmar1192 offline

bkmar1192 wrote:
On Friday night I went through my server and removed all thing homebridge. I did a "sudo find / -name "home" and deleted anything that was related to homebridge. I also removed all aliases and wrappers. I then reinstalled HBB. I have a very simple setup right with just a single lamp running.

I have now gone whole weekend+ with out any issues. Starting from scratch seemed to have fixed the crashing.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

So the question is what really changed in all of that? Is it possible that the old ~./homebridge was still running during all of that?

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:27 pm
bkmar1192 offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
So the question is what really changed in all of that? Is it possible that the old ~./homebridge was still running during all of that?

That would be my guess. What Would be interesting is to see if only removing the ~./homebridge would fix it. Or possibly just removing from auto starting.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Honestly it shouldn't make any difference - I actually run both myself because the original install lets me run additional plugins. However, if the old config was strange in some way - for instance I enabled the iTunes plugin and it totally screwed my system over so much that removing it wasn't enough, I had to manually delete files it was so screwed up.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:49 pm
MartyS offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Since Homebridge opens up a port to communicate with HomeKit, two or more copies cannot be running at the same time—unless the two config.json files specifically mention different port numbers in the bridge section. If HBB by default used a different port than the original homebridge did then they could in theory both startup and run. The pin has the same issue… confusion could reign if it were even possible.

I'd love to get into one of these systems while they're having the issue, but not everyone is setup and willing for that. And if the system (versus Indigo) is truly hung then it would probably be pointless to try anyway.

/Marty

Posted on
Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 am
midd offline

Funny you should mention this. I tried to do the fix on Friday. While messing around, I noticed my log at ~/Library/Logs/homebridge.log was missing. Also my plist file ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.webdeck.homebridge.plist was corrupted.

I had just about given up but I tried a last attempt on Sunday. With HBB disabled I fired up the Teriminal app and uninstalled -g homebridge and -g home bridge-indigo.

I then turned HBB back on and started a new home bridge server. I've been running with no hangups since then.

I'm running Indigo 7 on Mountain Lion, OS 10.8.5

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:22 am
bkmar1192 offline

bkmar1192 wrote:
bkmar1192 wrote:

I have now gone whole weekend+ with out any issues. Starting from scratch seemed to have fixed the crashing.

Well bad news - Indigo just crashed last night. I had a very simple setup - a "real" device, a virtual device, and one alias. Hadn't used Siri much either.

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:53 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

bkmar1192 wrote:
Well bad news - Indigo just crashed last night. I had a very simple setup - a "real" device, a virtual device, and one alias. Hadn't used Siri much either.

The next time it crashes can you try the troubleshooting steps outlined in this post?

Posted on
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm
cuhouse offline

cuhouse wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
cuhouse wrote:
I edited the com.webdeck.homebridge.123456789.plist where 123456789=Homebridge Device ID
Had to do an ./unload 123456789 and then a ./load 123456789 and came up! Nice. 8)

Perfect. Now, let us know if/when it hangs up again.

My system has been up for 72 hours with no IS hangs! :D I have had all my plugins and apps running during this timeframe also. HBB is disabled but started HB manually as instructed.
Jay/Mike,
I will continue with testing this way until you guys want me to try something else.
Thanks again for all the support,
Jody

Update: I have been running my Indigo 7 server/modified HBB in the above configuration for 1 month today with no hangs. In following various posts, it seems a common issue may be Sierra?
I am willing to try any other ideas or suggestions. If none, I will just keep running in this configuration.
Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

cuhouse wrote:
Update: I have been running my Indigo 7 server/modified HBB in the above configuration for 1 month today with no hangs. In following various posts, it seems a common issue may be Sierra?
I am willing to try any other ideas or suggestions. If none, I will just keep running in this configuration.
Jody

I don't recall - are you running Sierra?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:59 pm
cuhouse offline

jay (support) wrote:

I don't recall - are you running Sierra?

Yes Sierra 10.12.3

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks - that pretty much narrows it down the the HBB plugin and some interaction with it's built-in HB install when running on Sierra.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm going to lock down this topic and continue the conversation on a different topic. Please check out this post over there and let us know what you find.

Jay (Indigo Support)