How much RAM is in your Mac Mini?

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 am
ryanbuckner offline

How much RAM is in your Mac Mini?

...or other mac running Indigo Server?

My Late 2012 Mini is running sluggishly with 4GB RAM. Indigo Server seems to be fine but any other processes on that box (launching a browser, Indigo client, terminal) takes a long time.

I just ordered a 16 GB upgrade kit (2x 8GB) , wondering how it compares to your setups and should I expect better performance in the old dog? Install tomorrow!

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 am
roussell offline

Re: How much RAM is in your Mac Mini?

I ran with 2 GB in a 2006 mini on OSX 10.6 for years, then went to a 2009 Mini with 4 GB with 10.9. Indigo ran fine on both platforms -but- Indigo and a few supporting scripts/applications were the only residents. Sadly, both of those rigs finally died so they've been shelved until I have time to try and resurrect them. Currently Indigo is on a 2012 Mini with 16 GB and 10.12. It's still mostly the only thing on the box, but that's only because I have VMs on other hardware to do other heavy lifting.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The server itself doesn't use a lot of memory. Each plugin and the Z-Wave and Virtual Devices interfaces run in their own processes, as do all external scripts. As the number of those increases, the amount of memory needed will correspondingly increase. The amount of memory a plugin uses varies given what it does and how it's built. If you open Activity Monitor and type Indigo in the search box then switch to the Memory tab you'll see how much each uses. The client app uses a bunch more memory because of all the Mac OS SDK needed for UI, but that doesn't need to run all the time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

For me the big difference wasn't the memory as much as the processor. I ran on a 2011 Mac Mini with the Core 2 Duo and 8GB of RAM and it worked fine for years. As I was repurposing a better Mac Mini I decided to use it for Indigo with the I5 and 16GB of RAM and it worked FAR better (and still does). Even taking 8GB out of this current Mini doesn't impact it that much until my other things like SecuritySpy and AirFoil, Weather, etc all kick in and use up RAM.

When Apple stops farting around and gets back to the business of making computers maybe I'll upgrade again, in the meantime my 2012 I5 is perfect for Indigo.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm
jalves offline

I'm running a late 2012 mini (headless if that matters) with 16G of memory. Machine primarily runs Indigo & Security Spy. Also functions as an iTunes server at times.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:49 pm
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
When Apple stops farting around and gets back to the business of making computers maybe I'll upgrade again, in the meantime my 2012 I5 is perfect for Indigo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Pfft, selfie sticks....

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Upgrade complete to 16GB. Everything is snappier including remote connection, Indigo cocoa client connection, scripts that launch and interact with web pages, and reboot cycles.

Happy $79 spent!

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 am
midd offline

My mini has 16gb of Ram. I use security spy and Itunes as my video server on it. Everything runs without a hitch.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Page 1 of 1