[ANSWERED] Failed to find USB device

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 pm
walstib offline

(No subject)

The 2414 is plugged directly into the Mac and yes, I did the factory reset using the procedures you referenced. I tried restart and I tried reinstalling the software -- from the ground up with a new database and fresh install of the license code. I tried both the current version and for kicks I even tried Beta 12, which I happened to still have a copy of. I even put fresh batteries in my Indigo decoder ring - none of it worked.

The only thing I haven't done yet is a different USB cable, which I guess is next. This setup has been working perfectly for months and months, and nothing on or around the machine was disturbed, so I didn't spend much time considering the cable early on.

I have another 2414 running with Houselinc on a PC, so I can factory reset that unit and try it on the Mac if nothing else works. I suppose the 2414 could have just died, but I doubt it did so completely independent of anything else. Something must have trioggered it or played a role.

Any ideas?

The only thing out of the ordinary I did was on Saturday I ran the simplehomenet configuration utility for the EZ108T, but I ran that on the PC and the EZ108T was not synced with either Indigo or Houselinc. (I just got a Hunter rain switch and I plan to use it with the EZ108T to tell Indigo whether it's rain or shine, so the sprinklers won't run on rainy days.) The 2414 failed sometime after that...

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

After you try the cable swap, I think it is time for you to get a warranty replacement on the 2414U. Sounds like it died on you...

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:36 am
ecrabb offline

(No subject)

Hi, Matt-

I just upgraded to Indigo 2. I was using 1.8 on an old iMac running Panther with an 1132U. The 1132 was always a little flakey - like, if I rebooted, I'd have to unplug and plug-in the 1132U so Indigo could find it. Once I did, it would run for months without issue, though. It's also worth nothing this is my second 1132U - the first one I had died completely after running only a couple of months.

Well, last week I installed Tiger and Indigo 2 on an old PowerBook G3 500 to use as my new automation machine and couldn't get Indigo to connect to the PowerLinc. The 1132U was visible in System Profiler... sometimes as a generic device and sometimes as Smarthome whatever... but, still no dice. I swapped USB cables - no good. Plugged and unplugged to no avail. Drug it upstairs and plugged it into a Dual-G4 desktop with Tiger and Indigo 1.8 - no dice. Finally, I plugged it into a USB 2.0 PCI card on the same desktop machine and it worked. But, it will NOT work connected to either of those two Macs running Tiger with built-in USB.

Should I just get a new 1132CU from Smarthome? I'm sure the old one is 2 years and a day old - so probably get to spend $70 for one with memory I won't use. :roll: One step forward...two steps back.

Thanks,
SC

Posted on
Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:20 pm
ecrabb offline

(No subject)

The 1132U was definitely flakey with the Macs I tested it on, and based on some of the comments in this thread, I decided to just replace it. I just ordered a 2414U. Hopefully, it will be more reliable.

Anyone need an 1132U that's flakey with Macs, but will probably work fine on a PC? :wink:

Thanks,
SC

Posted on
Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Yeah, some PowerLincs just don't like some Macs. I have another customer that is having problems with a PowerLinc 2414U and an older G4. I'm experimenting now with having Indigo simulate an unplug and reconnect of the device multiple times to see if that will get connection reliability up in these cases. Most folks don't have any problems, but it would be good if Indigo could get it working somehow in these failure instances without having to replace the PowerLinc. We'll see...

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:29 am
dtich offline

(No subject)

anybody know the current version on the 2414?

i have powerlinc usb E, vers 4.00

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 pm
dtich offline

(No subject)

from another thread, but really for here, in case this helps anyone. this was after upgrading to an intel mini....

well, this is definitely the wrong thread for this, but i'll just finish what i started...

so, up and running. after much ado. the solution seems to have been to swap and switch around the usb connections, watching sys profiler to see what bus things are on - there are several usb bus ports and they are not created equal, they definitely have differing priorities in the bus routing architecture, and some combos don't really work well - i put the powerlinc on what i could figure was the most 'main' bus, ie, closest to the motherboard, and then put both keyspans on the next one, and the modem on the last one. that seems to have been a good combo, except for the modem which still isn't seeing callerid or transmitting it to silica.. but that may be a different issue...

also, and most important probably, i needed to reinstall indigo server. after that the powerlinc connected. thankfully. so, matt, if that tells you anything...

at any rate, all good now, knock wood.

the w800 is MUCH faster than the powerline version i was using, btw. i use three or four remotes and they all function nearly instantly now. very very high w.a.f. :)

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2007 7:54 pm
sgljungholm offline

I was scratching my head until

I had 2 USB devices "fail" on me, the third seemed to work like a charm.

I tried 1 and 2 again an noticed that they sort of worked. One would work to turn light on, one to turn them off.

I ended up stopping the local indigo server, then starting it again, this seemed to connect to the device and set it up properly.

I now have 3 working powerlinc devices.

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2007 10:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: I was scratching my head until

sgljungholm wrote:
I now have 3 working powerlinc devices.

Interesting. I did add some logic to Indigo 2.0.4 that improves the reliability of Indigo establishing a connection with the PowerLinc, which may explain why your other 2 are working better now.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:38 am
marcos offline

Failed to find device error

I ran into this same problem yesterday. Indigo was working fine and then stopped working (with no changes to the system).

I have the powerlinc plugged right into my imac's usb port. I tried changing usb ports, restarting etc with no luck. I then replaced the usb cable and followed Matt's reset suggestion for the PowerLinc and apparently one of those two tricks worked.

Does this mean I need to worry about the PowerLinc doing this again? It sounds like this is an issue that's been coming up for several users. I want to avoid having my smart home become stupid while I wait on a warranty exchange if possible. Any suggestions for avoiding this issue in the future?

Posted on
Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:11 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Failed to find device error

marcos wrote:
Does this mean I need to worry about the PowerLinc doing this again? It sounds like this is an issue that's been coming up for several users. I want to avoid having my smart home become stupid while I wait on a warranty exchange if possible. Any suggestions for avoiding this issue in the future?

I've never seen this happen personally, but it sounds like the PowerLinc is locking up for some reason. Maybe it is starting to malfunction, or maybe you just randomly hit a firmware bug that causes a freeze. Most folks never have problems with their PowerLincs. Because this is a support forum, we hear about all the failures but very little about the successes (no failures!).

One thing that I will suggest for anyone that is really dependent on having their system up and working without any down time -- purchase a spare PowerLinc. Then, if you ever have a problem or suspect your PowerLinc is malfunctioning, you can swap in a new one while the old one gets a replaced (likely under warranty). I agree you shouldn't *have* to do this and the odds are you will never need the spare, but I imagine for some users paying an extra $70 is worth guaranteeing their system won't be down for a few days.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am
Charbinjr offline

2414U device - Failed to establish connection with interface

Looks like a resolved topic based on the dates - but unfortunely, not for me.
I used to use Indigo 2 on my power Mac G4, mirror door. No problems. For convenience, moved everything to a constantly running Windows machine also using Indigo 2, also no problem.
I bought and installed Indigo 4 (with latest upgrade) on my Mac G4. 2414U was functioning on Win machine.
Now on the G4, I get the error message, Failed to establish connection with interface. Reconnected it to the Win machine, Indigo 2, works perfectly. Reconneceted to G4, same error. Help??[/code]

Posted on
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: 2414U device - Failed to establish connection with inter

Charbinjr wrote:
Looks like a resolved topic based on the dates - but unfortunely, not for me.
I used to use Indigo 2 on my power Mac G4, mirror door. No problems. For convenience, moved everything to a constantly running Windows machine also using Indigo 2, also no problem.
I bought and installed Indigo 4 (with latest upgrade) on my Mac G4. 2414U was functioning on Win machine.
Now on the G4, I get the error message, Failed to establish connection with interface. Reconnected it to the Win machine, Indigo 2, works perfectly. Reconneceted to G4, same error. Help??[/code]

I'm a little confused - you say "moved everything to a constantly running Windows machine also using Indigo 2". Indigo doesn't run on Windows.

Make sure that your USB cable is plugged directly in to the Mac (not a USB hub). Also, try switching out your USB cable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:41 am
Charbinjr offline

I'm a little confused - you say "moved everything to a constantly running Windows machine also using Indigo 2". Indigo doesn't run on Windows.

Make sure that your USB cable is plugged directly in to the Mac (not a USB hub). Also, try switching out your USB cable.[/quote]

Right you are. Runs fine with Houselinc2 on the PC.
I am using the same USB cable and am plugged into a computer located USB.
I have done a lot of surfing since writing earlier. Found where to change the designated port on the MAC, and now receive a message that the 2414U needs firmware vs 8.5 or beyond. I suppose that means communication was attempted. Unless you can tell me if a user firmware upgrade is available, I am awaiting word from Insteon/Smarthome.
Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Charbinjr wrote:
Right you are. Runs fine with Houselinc2 on the PC.
I am using the same USB cable and am plugged into a computer located USB.
I have done a lot of surfing since writing earlier. Found where to change the designated port on the MAC, and now receive a message that the 2414U needs firmware vs 8.5 or beyond. I suppose that means communication was attempted. Unless you can tell me if a user firmware upgrade is available, I am awaiting word from Insteon/Smarthome.
Thanks for your help.

See Matt's post - let's move this discussion over there.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn