[ANSWERED] Failed to find USB device

Posted on
Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:06 am
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Another thing to try with these kind of weird issue is to run Panther Cache Cleaner. I found it's helped with some general weird issues I would occasionally have. Not only that cleaning out the caches frees up disk space.

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:23 pm
Anonymous Dan offline

Failed to Find USB

I just purchased a PowerLinc 1132U and connected it to my computer. I, as others have noted in this thread, am getting a "Failed to Connect to USB" error message. I checked my system profiler and found the PowerLinc 1132U in the USB section. My question is whether separate partitions for the Mac OS and my Home directory will have an effect on Indigo. I've had other applications that have experienced problems because of this.

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Failed to Find USB

Anonymous Dan wrote:
My question is whether separate partitions for the Mac OS and my Home directory will have an effect on Indigo. I've had other applications that have experienced problems because of this.

This shouldn't cause any problems. Can you verify that changes to the Indigo database (ex: create a new Device or Trigger Action) are saved across application quit and relaunch? If so, then that shows that the database file is still be saved correctly even though you have multiple partitions.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:55 pm
rickdees offline

Re: Failed to find USB Device

[quote="support"]The bad news is it sounds like you have a PowerLinc that is borderline incompatible with your Mac. We've seen a couple of other cases of this (a very small percentage of PowerLinc Mac users). I suggest you get a replacement from Smarthome. The good news is out of the few folks that have had to get replacements, so far we have a 100% success rate with the new units they received.

Additionally, Smarthome has made some design changes with the new PowerLinc Controller (1132CU). So far, we have no reports of any problems with the new PowerLinc Controller not connecting. I imagine it will be a bit before this design change trickles down to the 1132U, but I'm hoping that once it does the failure (incompatibility) rate will drop to near zero.

Regards,
Matt[/quote]

I was getting the same errors until I switched USB cables. The cable shipped with the Smarthome controller is extremely cheap and replacing it fixed the problem for me.

Rick Darenberg

Posted on
Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:53 pm
miller offline

same problem with finding USB

I have used it without problems for a couple of years and the last time I plugged in I got the error.
I noticed the green LED went off on the Powerlinc when I plugged in the USB cable. I unplugged the power and replugged everything and it worked.

Posted on
Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:22 pm
arenapub offline

Indigo doesn't see Powerlinc 1132U

Received my 1132U today, hooked it up to Mac powerbook G4 17", system 10.3.8. Shows up under System Profiler, but isn't seen by the application. Tried both USB ports on computer, a powered hub, unplugging, plugging in, restarts, cleaned cache, fixed permissions, diff. USB cable - still no luck. Any updated suggestions/fixes that aren't on this board? Has anybody who sent for a replacement 1132U received one back that worked?

Posted on
Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo doesn't see Powerlinc 1132U

Have you, by chance, installed any other home automation software on that Mac? Some other software (Xtension) causes a driver conflict with Indigo 1.5.5. I just posted a new beta of Indigo that includes a new driver that might help. Here is more information.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:21 pm
arenapub offline

New Beta With New Drivers Works

Thanks to the beta version with the new drivers, the interface is now working. (BTW, I do have Xtension installed - what files do you suggest be removed to avoid interference with Indigo?)

Posted on
Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: New Beta With New Drivers Works

I think the drivers Xtension installs are compatible with the new beta of Indigo (but not with Indigo 1.5.5), so as long as you are using the beta you should be fine. It would be an all or nothing failure -- if it works at all, then they are compatible.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm
John offline

Re: "Failed to find USB device"

I can't get connected to the PowerLinc V2 controller either, and it is showing up in the USB section about this Mac. I'm just getting started and may have left something out. I'm using system 10.4.4 on a G4 PowerBook. I downloaded the Insteon software and dragged it in my applications folder and opened it. Then I plugged the PowerLinc V2 controller in and connected it via its included cable to my USB port on my Mac. I then installed two RF 2442P Signal Enhancers and set them up according to their instructions, and that went well. But when I try to connect, I get the failed to connect. The LED on my PowerLinc V2 controller was solid, and I didn't press the set button on it for I didn't see that in the instructions. After it failed to connect several times though, I pressed it and it now blinks but I still can't connect. I plugged in one applicance module and tried to get it going but I don't understand about filling in the address of it. So I'm at a standstill and would appreciate help and thoughts to maybe get me going. Thanks so much. John :?

Posted on
Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:55 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "Failed to find USB device"

Hi John,

You didn't list in your steps that you ran the driver installer included on the DMG download. You must run that as well.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 am
John offline

(No subject)

I thank you so much. I didn't mention it because I hadn't done that at first. I just missed the boat on that, but did run it later and got going. Thanks so much for your help. Then I had trouble linking a device because I didn't know where to find the address of the appliance link. A nice person helped me with that on the board and I got that going thanks to that. Now I'm just trying to learn how to simply program the coffee to come on, then go back off. I'm trying to figure about the actions and all. Wish I had a book! But I thank you so much, have a good day and God bless. John :)

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:30 am
mbast offline

(No subject)

I am a bit confused as to why I have no trouble using Ingigo 1.5.4 but both upgrades 1.6 or 1.8 have failed to find the USB device. I noted that there is possibly a problem with the Powerlinc controller 1132CU from Smarthome, but this would not explain why 1.5.4 works and not the newer versions. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Did you run the driver installer? Starting with version 1.6, Indigo requires that you run a driver to be able to access the PowerLincs (and CM15). Prior to v1.6, you didn't need the driver but now you do...

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 am
mbast offline

(No subject)

Thank you, thank you! I thought I had installed the driver, but may have missed reinstalling when I reinstalled my system. 1.8 seems to be working now. Thanks, again