[SOLVED]Trouble with email set up

Posted on
Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 am
Pilott28 offline

[SOLVED]Trouble with email set up

I am having trouble getting the outgoing email function to work properly. I have tried it with my mac mail account, my aol account and also my windstream POP account. None work. I am sure I have set up the smtp server names properly, and have verified the ID and password are working correctly through direct web access to the accounts. The event log shows a try every 10 minutes with a failure.

Are there any common errors that are made in setting this up?

On another subject, are you planning to include direct text support in the non-pro version?

Thanks, Keith.

Posted on
Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with email set up

Hi Keith,

The most common problems are using the incorrect SMTP server address, wrong port number, or it is possible your local ISP is blocking the traffic (they do this to cut down on spam). Another problem is not having the correct return address entered -- most ISPs will block messages if the return address specified doesn't match.

Regarding the direct text support, by that do you mean SMS messages? We haven't yet decided when/if that will be added to Indigo so at this time I couldn't guess if it would be pro only functionality or not. Note you can use your mobile provider's SMS email gateway to have SMS messages sent. We might also add direct notification to Indigo Touch (which wouldn't be via SMS at all) to a future version.

Posted on
Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 pm
Pilott28 offline

I have double checked everything. I am using my mac icloud account. In Indigo preferences I have populated smtp.mail.me.com, port 587, SSL checked, email address (for user name) and my email address for reply-to-email. Except for the last items, these are the specifications in the Apple mail documentation.

When I execute the trigger group, I get an error in the event log that says "reply-to email address not specified", although it is clearly there.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Keith.

Posted on
Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:11 pm
Pilott28 offline

OK, it has started working. Not sure why I was getting the error message ... perhaps I had to close the preferences pane completely for it to register the changes I made.

Thanks, Keith.

Posted on
Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct - changes aren't saved until the prefs dialog closes.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1