Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:24 pm
WinslowJR offline

Email Authentication Error and AppleScript

Thank you! This AppleScript works wonders! :lol:

Posted on
Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:48 pm
jtimleck offline

Using email AppleScript for security update

Thanks for the script. I'll use it with my motion detectors to auto email me when something is detected and then I'll be able to verify! Cool!
A.T.

Posted on
Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:13 am
gadgetnut offline

Insteon Button Press Sends Email with Mac Mail?

Hello, all, I've read this topic three times and I've spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to work and am not getting anywhere.

I apologize, but I am not familiar with AppleScript at all (it's on my list though.)

Whereas I have been able to set up successfully Indigo responding to receipt of an email, I now need Indigo to send mail upon response to an Insteon device button press. I would like Indigo 3 to send an email on my dot mac email account through the Apple Mail application. I set up the mail account in the Indigo 3 preferences panel but mail is not being sent and judging by this topic the problem might have to do with authentication.

Can someone please give the dummy's version of exactly what to do, including precisely what to text to copy and tell me where to paste it-- into Indigo, into AppleScript Editor, etc. Do I "compile" or just save the AppleScript file, where do I save it?

I presume when I set up my trigger action in Indigo, the action won't be send email, it will be run applescript, right? Will I automatically be able to browse to (select) the applescript I just created?

Finally, could you please tell me all the parts of the script I need to personalize at my end, specifically when the script text you tell me to copy and paste reads, "send email to anyone@anything.com" is that where I need to change "anyone" to my sending email account name and where does the recipient's email info go?

Sorry this is so lame. I know there's an entire world out there for me (AppleScript, etc.) but can you please help me in the mean time? Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:58 am
pwarwick offline

(No subject)

Have you looked at the Event Log? are there any error messages?

I should add that I did a quick test and was able to send mail without using any AppleScript (AFAIK) once I entered the correct SMTP password.

Patricia

Posted on
Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:38 pm
gadgetnut offline

Sending email successfully in Indigo 3 w/ Apple Mail

Patricia, thank you for replying. The log errors were "email send connection failed."

I played around with the email settings in Indigo 3 preferences and finally got it working. For the benefit of anyone else running to problems setting this up, this is what worked for me.

In Indigo 3 server preferences, Email Sending Section,

SMTP server: smtp.mac.com
SMTP server port: 25
SMTP user name: your email name (not your email name @mac.com)
SMTP password: your mac.com pw for that account
reply to email address: your email name@mac.com

and I have the SSL box unchecked.

Cheers.