Connect OK via Indigo Touch, but no info is visible

Posted on
Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:18 pm
Since ][e offline

Connect OK via Indigo Touch, but no info is visible

I've read thru many forum posts and can't find a similar problem. I've happily used all the previous Indigo versions for years. With my recent upgrade to 5.0, I decided to start fresh on a Mac Mini running Lion (firewall is off), with a new PowerLinc Modem 2412U, planning to keep the Mini on all the time. Loaded each device (all Insteon now), set up new schedules from scratch -- no copying from my 4.0 database. Set up a new Control Page. Got a new goPrism reflector and successfully activated it. I can remotely access and control my devices via the web on browsers on other computers. I can even connect successfully to the new goPrism reflector via my iPod Touch using latest version of Indigo Touch, (and using either a https: or http: address) and Indigo Touch shows the name of my new Indigo 5 database as connected, but nothing appears when I select the Device or Control Pages on my iPod Touch. The iPod Touch is connecting to goPrism via Wi-Fi on my home network. In the past under Indigo 4 running on an old Mac, I connected successfully from many remote hotels and other locations, and successfully controlled my house via the same iPod Touch/Indigo Touch. Any suggestions for this new Indigo 5/Mac Mini setup? What am I missing? Thanks guys!

Posted on
Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Connect OK via Indigo Touch, but no info is visible

Is it not showing any devices/control pages ever, or does it work in some cases (Wi-Fi versus 3G via a reflector)?

If it never shows, then right-click on the device and select "Enable Remote Display" if it is shown in the menu (versus Disable). Do the same for any folders that your devices/control pages are inside as well.

Posted on
Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:47 pm
Since ][e offline

Matt - since I only have an iPod Touch, I can only test it via Wi-Fi. I've tried it on two different Wi-Fi networks with the same result -- nothing shows up on the pages for device, action/scenes, variables or control page on the iPod Touch, even tho I'm connected to the reflector. It never shows anything on those pages.

I then tried your right click suggestion. Only disable, hide and copy show up as options there. I then went in to edit each device and every one has the box checked for enable remote display. I have not put the devices or the control page in any new or different folders.

Thanks for these ideas. Any others?

Posted on
Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

What about when you are on your local Wi-Fi? In that case it shouldn't use the reflector and should connect directly using Bonjour. After it connects press the gear icon to show the settings. What does it show for the connection information, and what does the black banner (with white text) at the very top say?

Also try force killing Indigo Touch by double-tapping the home button, then press holding on the Indigo Touch icon until the minus icon appears so you can kill it.

Lastly, what happens when you access Indigo from Mobile Safari on your iPhone? Use the same GoPrism.com reflector URL shown in Indigo Touch.

Posted on
Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm
Since ][e offline

When connected via my local Wi-Fi network, the iPod Touch shows that I'm connected to my Indigo 5 house plan. The black banner in white letters says "connected via Bonjour Wi-Fi." I killed Indigo Touch and then opened it again with no change in behavior - nothing shows up on the pages for device, action/scenes, variables or control page.

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't test your Mobile Safari suggestion.

In Indigo 5 on my Mac Mini, the event log shows all the different times I have connected, reporting "Indigo Touch client connected from (IP address)"

Thanks for continuing to help with this issue.

Posted on
Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try using Mobile Safari on your iPod touch then.

Posted on
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:17 am
Since ][e offline

Matt - connecting via Mobile Safari on my iPod Touch works. I can see and control devices on both the device and control page and I can see my variables. (I've developed no actions yet.) Everything seems to work as advertised when connecting via the web. Still no joy when connecting via Wi-Fi using Indigo Touch.

Posted on
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 pm
johnpolasek offline

I know this is probably a microsoft issue, but getting help from them (beyond dumb looks) is pretty tough and it might be related... On my Win7 laptop, I can log into Indigo Pro using a web browser and open the House Control page and see all my insteon devices with their proper states updating as they change. In Safari, if I click on them, their states will change; I can turn lights on and off from the laptop. But in IE8 or 9 (had 8, updated to 9 to see if it would change the problem), a dashed border just appears around the control and it doesn't change. I CAN open the devices pane and turn things on and off from there, but not from the control page. Haven't loaded Firefox or Chrome for a tiebreaker, but it seems that either there is something wrong with Explorer's rnedering or Safari is taking advantage of some hidden html extension. Anybody know which?

Posted on
Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Since ][e wrote:
Matt - connecting via Mobile Safari on my iPod Touch works. I can see and control devices on both the device and control page and I can see my variables. (I've developed no actions yet.) Everything seems to work as advertised when connecting via the web. Still no joy when connecting via Wi-Fi using Indigo Touch.

You are running the latest version of Indigo Touch, correct?

Assuming you are, I think we'll need to troubleshoot this further off forum. Can you email me at indigo-support AT perceptiveautomation.com? If possible, I'd like for you to give me temporary access to your Indigo Server user name/password (and reflector name) so I can try to connect and debug it from here.

Posted on
Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
But in IE8 or 9 (had 8, updated to 9 to see if it would change the problem), a dashed border just appears around the control and it doesn't change. I CAN open the devices pane and turn things on and off from there, but not from the control page.

Firefox, Chrome and Safari should all work. IE definitely used to work, so it either stopped working in one of the newer IE releases (to be honest, haven't tested it in forever) or something in Indigo broke it. We'll look into it.

Posted on
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:37 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

support wrote:
Firefox, Chrome and Safari should all work. IE definitely used to work, so it either stopped working in one of the newer IE releases (to be honest, haven't tested it in forever) or something in Indigo broke it. We'll look into it.

We will definitely have this fixed in the next beta release.

Page 1 of 1