Prowl: Growl for iPhone

Posted on
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:33 pm
gregjsmith offline

Prowl: Growl for iPhone

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 76271&mt=8

A growl client for the iphone that supports push notifications. $2.99. Can hold us over until Indigo Touch supports push notifications.

Posted on
Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Prowl has added a feature that allows alerts for specific application to redirect them to that application on the iPhone. Indigo is currently not supported, I assume it needs a URL handler.

It would be nice to add this capability.

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 pm
ricks offline

(No subject)

Just ran into this today. So, then, is there anyway that Indigo can send an arbitrary message to the iphone through prowl? Ultimately, I'd like a way I could use applescipt to send notifications to my iphone.

For my webcam, I'm thinking of switching from evocam to icam, since icam can send a picture and do push notification to the iphone when activity is sensed in the webcam feed.

But, then I saw prowl (and now howl) in the app store, and thought, neat, maybe I can do that with other applications or Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

I think so, Prowl uses some sort of URL handling scheme to communicate with other apps. The support has to be added to Indigo Touch.

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:43 pm
ricks offline

(No subject)

Support has to be added to Indigo Touch for badging of the Indigo Touch icon I imagine. But from what I just read, it should work fine for sending alerts. Very neat.

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Yes I meant to say that. For badging and so that when you get an alert, the button will open Indigo instead of Prowl.

Posted on
Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:43 pm
jamus offline

(No subject)

Support is already in Indigo; using the "indigo://" url would open Indigo.

However, there needs to be support in Prowl too; see this thread: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20704

I'm not sure if the Prowl guys would add it, though, seeing that Indigo doesn't support Growl natively.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm
jamus offline

Re:

jamus wrote:
Support is already in Indigo; using the "indigo://" url would open Indigo.

However, there needs to be support in Prowl too; see this thread: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20704

I'm not sure if the Prowl guys would add it, though, seeing that Indigo doesn't support Growl natively.

I went ahead and requested support for Indigo based upon a better understanding of their redirection system.

First, I didn't realize that they could update the list of redirections without having to update the app.

Second, I didn't realize that the application name was customizable. Thus, any application (and not just "Indigo") can send a trigger message to Prowl. This was my biggest reservation about requesting support.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:11 pm
jamus offline

Re: Prowl: Growl for iPhone

Support has been added to Prowl.

There's three redirections. As example of the code to trigger it is below. I've commented out two of the three since Prowl will only show one notification.

In prowl, I setup a redirection for the applications "IndigoDefault", "IndigoControl", and "IndigoDevice", which matches the applications I configure in the script.

Code: Select all
tell application "GrowlHelperApp"

-- Register our script with growl.
   -- You can optionally (as here) set a default icon
   -- for this script's notifications.
   register as application ¬
      "IndigoDefault" all notifications {"Event"} ¬
      default notifications {"Event"} ¬
      icon of application "Indigo 4"
      "IndigoDevice" all notifications {"Event"} ¬
      "IndigoControl" all notifications {"Event"} ¬

--   Send a Notification...
   --notify with name ¬
   --   "Event" title ¬
   --      "Event" description ¬
   --      "Loads Indigo." application name "IndigoDefault"

notify with name ¬
      "Event" title ¬
      "Event" description ¬
      "Loads Control Page." application name "IndigoControl"

--notify with name ¬
   --      "Event" title ¬
   --      "Event" description ¬
   --      "Loads Device Page." application name "IndigoDevice"

end tell

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
ricks offline

jamus wrote:
In prowl, I setup a redirection for the applications "IndigoDefault", "IndigoControl", and "IndigoDevice", which matches the applications I configure in the script.

Excellent, thank you very much for posting this! So far I've been using using the API and sending notices directly to prowl without using growl. Something new to try.

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 am
discgolfer1138 offline

Boxcar vs Prowl for push notifications

I setup Prowl as previously described in this thread, but during the process discovered a similar service called Boxcar (http://www.boxcar.io)

Using a modified version of the script above, I send Growl notifications whenever a trigger fires using the following code:

Code: Select all
tell application id "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp"
      "Indigo" all notifications {"Event"} ¬
      icon of application "Indigo 5"

notify with name ¬
      "Event" title ¬
      "Server Room Intruder!" description ¬
      "motion detector has been tripped" application name "Indigo"

end tell

I am using Indigo 5 and the latest version of Growl (now an App Store download). Please note the updated reference to application id "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp" and the icon of application "Indigo 5" in the script.

I found Boxcar to be a little faster to respond than Prowl, and a little easier to setup. It is also worth mentioning that Boxcar is a FREE iPhone app. They do stick an ad at the bottom of your message list which costs $4.99 as an in-app purchase to make go away, but it hasn't bothered me yet. Apparently, they also have a version available for Android.

Thus far, I have scripts attached to the triggers for my garage door, a TriggerLinc on the back entry door and a motion sensor in my server room. I have tested each manually and received a push notification on my phone within a 3-5 seconds. I would recommend setting a condition in your trigger to only execute the growl script when you're 'away' (either by setting a time interval or utilizing a home/away Indigo variable). Otherwise, the push alerts can get a little tiresome... like when your working in a room that has a motion sensor.

If anyone is interested in this configuration, either reply or PM me... I'd be happy to elaborate :)

fwiw, here's a screen cap from my phone of the incoming Boxcar push notification:
boxcar_screencap.jpg
boxcar_screencap.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 9635 times

Indigo 6.1.0 | Mac Mini | OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 pm
mortenkols offline

Anyone using prowl and redirect to Indigo Touch? I have tried it, but this error comes: Cannot launch URL 'indigo:'. Nothing was found to execute it.

Anyone got this to work?

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm
durosity offline

You'd probably be better switching over to the pushover plugin, I find it much more reliable (and indigo:// rules fully work :) )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:26 pm
mortenkols offline

thanks. it works. possible to open a specific control page ?

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:18 pm
durosity offline

Yeah, here's a handy page on the options you can use: http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... touch_urls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1