Indigo Touch Beta 2 feedback

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am
dnomode offline

Indigo Touch Beta 2 feedback

Hello,

On control pages if I touch a blank part of the background Indigo Touch selects a random button, I think it's selecting the first button that I created on that control page (not for sure). If I slide my finger around the screen it un-selects the button, however if I don't slide my finger and just touch the background and lift up it will execute the command of the button.

Popup UI looks better, however I personally prefer the sliding on/off button that's the norm with the iPhone. Please keep the feature that allows us to touch anywhere else on the screen to close the popup. The "X" is a nice look.

I've written about this one before. For some restoring the UI to the last page location might be great, however some of my control page go 3 to 4 levels deep. If the last thing I did was start music in the TV room I'll have to touch the back button on the black title bar four times so I can get to the control page that controls my lights. Please give us a home screen option so Indigo Touch always start on the control page we specify as the home screen. And to go further with this home screen option, if we can add a home button on the right side of the black title bar so the main control page is always just one touch away.

I'm still hopeful that you'll figure out a reliable implementation of sliders into control pages.

I've also brought this up before. Indigo Touch is super fast on Wi-Fi and good 3G areas, however the cellular reception in my area is very bad. Would there be a way for you to allow us to upload our control pages to the iPhone so Indigo Touch does not need to download the control pages every time, just the status and stuff like that.

Over all works good.

Thank You
Ed

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:56 am
Martijn Heeroma offline

(No subject)

Please give us a home screen option so Indigo Touch always start on the control page we specify as the home screen.

yes, that would be nice. (the first in the list or the one called "menu" would be fine for me too)

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:05 am
Martijn Heeroma offline

(No subject)

Compliments for how nice the reconnecting works already.
still I've one whish:

I use the IPhone app on 2 places (at my home and at a friend's place)
When the app can't connect to my database it would be nice
if it starts trying to connect to previous "succesfull connected servers"

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch Beta 2 feedback

dnomode wrote:
On control pages if I touch a blank part of the background Indigo Touch selects a random button, I think it's selecting the first button that I created on that control page (not for sure).

I tried reproducing this with a few Control Pages and couldn't. Are you seeing it on more than 1 Control Page? Can you open the page in the Page Editor (in Indigo Client) and make sure there isn't a large control that is encompassing the entire page or something?
dnomode wrote:
Popup UI looks better, however I personally prefer the sliding on/off button that's the norm with the iPhone. Please keep the feature that allows us to touch anywhere else on the screen to close the popup. The "X" is a nice look.

The On/Off slider definitely looked better. I'm going to try to improve the appearance of the new On/Off buttons. You will still be able to close the popup control view by either the X or clicking off of the view.
dnomode wrote:
I've written about this one before. For some restoring the UI to the last page location might be great, however some of my control page go 3 to 4 levels deep. If the last thing I did was start music in the TV room I'll have to touch the back button on the black title bar four times so I can get to the control page that controls my lights.

I'm still thinking about how to handle having a "start page" exactly. There have been a few different suggestions, and I'm still trying to figure out what will work best. Saving the the last location will definitely be the default, but I might add some type of start page option as well. Note the iPhone UI actually has a built-in shortcut to jump to the top-most nav element -- double click on the toolbar icon at the bottom.
dnomode wrote:
I'm still hopeful that you'll figure out a reliable implementation of sliders into control pages.

Doubtful for the first version. I got it working as best I could given the Apple bugs, but the usability was too poor for me to release it. The most recent version does let you click on the left column Light/On-Off icons to toggle the on/off states though.
dnomode wrote:
I've also brought this up before. Indigo Touch is super fast on Wi-Fi and good 3G areas, however the cellular reception in my area is very bad. Would there be a way for you to allow us to upload our control pages to the iPhone so Indigo Touch does not need to download the control pages every time, just the status and stuff like that.

Indigo is currently transferring just about the minimum amount of information possible. I might add a bit more image caching than already exists, but I'm not sure it is going to help your situation that much. The control state information cannot be cached obviously, and the data that describes the control position and type is very small (and compressed). There is just no getting around that some data transfer has to occur for it to work. :-)

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 am
ricks offline

Re: Indigo Touch Beta 2 feedback

support wrote:
dnomode wrote:
On control pages if I touch a blank part of the background Indigo Touch selects a random button, I think it's selecting the first button that I created on that control page (not for sure).

I tried reproducing this with a few Control Pages and couldn't. Are you seeing it on more than 1 Control Page? Can you open the page in the Page Editor (in Indigo Client) and make sure there isn't a large control that is encompassing the entire page or something?

I reported the same problem earlier, but not as eloquently.

For me, it only seems to happen on that control page (the one pictured in the post). I just looked, and the button that gets pushed (the play button) has a z-order of 0. It's strange too, that button is connected to a variable, but it always is stuck on...it doesn't respect the on/off status of the variable. No, I don't have a large control encompassing the entire page.

Rick

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:00 am
dnomode offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Can you open the page in the Page Editor (in Indigo Client) and make sure there isn't a large control that is encompassing the entire page or something?

No I don't have it encompassing the entire page. Rick is correct about the Z-order. I changed the Z-order and the problem followed to the control button with a Z-order of 0. Mostly I see this with control buttons that link to other control pages.

Ed

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:06 am
ricks offline

(No subject)

dnomode wrote:
No I don't have it encompassing the entire page. Rick is correct about the Z-order. I changed the Z-order and the problem followed to the control button with a Z-order of 0. Mostly I see this with control buttons that link to other control pages.

Actually, I think it might be more widespread and related to control objects with Z-order of zero. I just checked all my control pages on Safari (on my mac), and if you double click on the background, the control with a z-order of 0 becomes hi-lighted. This is the same behavior we are seeing on Indigo Touch. For the majority of my pages, the control with z-order of 0 is the Sever Status Icon. So, that's why I've not really noticed it before, as this icon is small and hidden away at the top or bottom of the screen. However, now with the need to have big iphone buttons smack dab in the center of the page, this behavior is, well, very obvious. I think the quick workaround is to add a transparent control image and set its z-order to 0.

Ed, are any of your z-order=0 controls tied to variables? I was wondering if they were "locked" into the "on" position like mine. I hope to play around with it tonight.

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:20 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Ed and Rick -

I'm still not able to reproduce this problem with Indigo Touch. I've tried all sorts of z-order at 0 elements (static, var state, dev state) with different types of click actions (including actions that link to other control pages).

Can you both give me the specific settings for your z-order 0 element? What type is it and what properties does it have?

If it is a control with an image, what happens if you select a different image? Does the problem still continue? And can you make sure the bounds of your image are correct by selecting the elem in the Page Editor and see where the blue handles draw -- they should be tight around the image.

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Update: I figured it out. It only occurs if you are using a background image on the page. I'll get this fixed in the next build!

Page 1 of 1