Local connection issue with iOS 10

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 pm
rehafer offline

Re: Local connection issue with iOS 10

I spoke to soon; the connection problem occurred again. It's so sporadic that it's hard to nail down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 am
sumocomputers offline

I have performed a "Reset All Network Settings" on the iPad Mini 2 still running iOS 10.0.1 as a recommendation from Matt. So far it seems OK, but not convinced yet.

Here is my server info:

Mac Mini (Mid 2011)
OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Indigo Server 6.1.10
Insteon PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:41 am
rehafer offline

Still intermittent failure or slow connecting with Bonjour. I've also added my servers .local address manually, that worked so well it may be my default way of connecting when I'm done experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 pm
mrmatt68 offline

I cannot connect touch either and I have not updated to iOS 10. It has always worked with bonjour. I can't connect using ip either

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mrmatt68 wrote:
I cannot connect touch either and I have not updated to iOS 10. It has always worked with bonjour. I can't connect using ip either

Have you tried this?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:24 pm
mrmatt68 offline

jay (support) wrote:
mrmatt68 wrote:

Have you tried this?

I have reset all network settings on phone.

Also I have since upgraded to 10. on idevices and still no go. Reset airport extreme and deleted all network devices on Mac mini and set-up network from scratch and still notihing.....get servername.local timed out error. If i remove server from list on iPhone it pop right back up......really fast but will not connect and will not ask for a password......have uninstalled the app multiple times....as of now i have the radio button in server to allow connection from iPhone checked and user name password unchecked and it still will not connect.....this issue has existed well before i upgraded mac mini or the devices.

thank you for all your help,

Matt

Posted on
Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 pm
mrmatt68 offline

Well after 7 hrs of messing around i finally got it working!!! I uninstalled and deleted anything i could find related to indigo and reinstalled 6.015 and resync'd most of my devices then deleted and reinstalled iOS app and it finally asked for password and connected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All seems right in the world except i have no idea why it crapped out to begin with. Now on to creating all my triggers and schedules and trying to get the other devices to sync. What a nightmare. I still have a directory labeled backups.....Is there something i can do with that or is it corrupted?

Thanks,

Matt

Posted on
Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo doesn't create any directories labeled backups so we don't know what they are.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 am
mrmatt68 offline

Really weird as i have 104 zip files dating back to dec of 2015 which is when i first installed it. If i decompress one of the zip files it contained the folder tree /library/Application Support/Indigo 6.....and everything contained in that folder? Do I have a virus that is making backups of the indigo directory?

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:45 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Not a virus, but it sounds like at some point you installed the Indigo Backup plugin.

If you have a backup of your database file, then I would just use that. I'm 99.99% sure that the iOS connectivity issues aren't related at all to the actual Indigo database file.

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just to be clear, that's a 3rd party plugin, not something we developed or support.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:18 pm
mrmatt68 offline

Oh Ok thanks. I don't remember doing that but obviously i did. At this point i don't guess we will ever know what caused the connectivity issue as all the logs are gone. It's fixed now and faster than ever!

Thanks again

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:15 am
sumocomputers offline

So neither my network settings reset or my entire device reset worked long term for anything on the local network. Both Bonjour and local IP fail after 24-48 hours.

But 1 of my 3 iPads never had an issue on iOS10, so I realized I have 3 different Airport Extremes on a mesh network (all same SSID, hardwired together), so I figured they were connecting to different physical AEs. So I reset them all, and it seemed to work for awhile, but then crapped out again. For the record, I can still ping the IP of Mac Mini running Indigo Server from the iPad in question when the Indigo failures happen.

So I still have a major issue. The only thing that works is setting the server to be an external URL using a dynamic DNS type service, which is slower on device refresh, etc. That has held up for many days, so it is clearly something weird on the local network, not general WiFi connectivity.

I sure wish I knew how to look at the correct log files to see what is really going on.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:28 pm
RogueProeliator offline

But 1 of my 3 iPads never had an issue on iOS10, so I realized I have 3 different Airport Extremes on a mesh network (all same SSID, hardwired together), so I figured they were connecting to different physical AEs. So I reset them all, and it seemed to work for awhile, but then crapped out again. For the record, I can still ping the IP of Mac Mini running Indigo Server from the iPad in question when the Indigo failures happen.

There are similar reports on the web of this happening whenever multiple Airport Extremes are bridged together... behaving exactly as you describe. One such example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1470067?start=0&tstart=0

You might could try using another Bonjour application whenever Indigo Touch fails -- see if, say, you can see a printer via Bonjour that is attached to another Airport Extreme (anything that uses Bonjour might be a valid test).

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:40 pm
sumocomputers offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

There are similar reports on the web of this happening whenever multiple Airport Extremes are bridged together... behaving exactly as you describe. One such example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1470067?start=0&tstart=0

You might could try using another Bonjour application whenever Indigo Touch fails -- see if, say, you can see a printer via Bonjour that is attached to another Airport Extreme (anything that uses Bonjour might be a valid test).

This is a great idea. I don't have a printer handy, but I am going to see if maybe there is some other app I can run on the same iPad that would give me visibility into what is happening with Bonjour. That said, even the direct IP of the Mac Mini running Indigo Server has the same issues, and iOS 9.x had been fine for a year. But I will still keep investigating.