Local connection issue with iOS 10

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:46 am
rehafer offline

Local connection issue with iOS 10

I encountered an issue where Touch can't connect locally, via Bonjour, to my server; but only occasionally.
At what appeares to be random intervals, Touch will time out while trying to connect to my server locally. On the settings screen, I can select my dynamic dns address and connect as normal. Also, if I delete the local connection from the list, in about 10 seconds it reappears and can connect as expected.
I'm assuming it is an iOS 10 issue because I don't remember it happening before updating. Maybe some new Bonjour protocol?

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:44 pm
sumocomputers offline

Re: Local connection issue with iOS 10

Same exact here too on 3 iPad Minis that we use to control the entire house.

I may have to try and downgrade to iOS 9 quickly, unless a fix is on the way.

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you, just for troubleshooting, turn the firewall on your Mac totally off? Restart the Indigo Server (not just the client) once it is OFF, then inside Indigo Touch delete the server settings line in the table and close/re-open the settings screen (gear icon). Does it then work?

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm
sumocomputers offline

I will try your suggestion on one iPad, and entering a manual IP:Port address on another. Currently using Bonjour discovery on all of them.

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 am
sumocomputers offline

So the Mac firewall was already off. And I completely restarted the Mac.

I have deleted the bonjour discovered servers from the Indigo touch list and reconnected one of the iPads to it, still same issue.

Entered IP:Port on another, still same issue.

I can confirm that the problem started immediately after upgrade to iOS 10.

One side note: On my iPhone 6+ running iOS 10, it never has a problem, but it is always accessed using a DynDNS style name, (like my_server.com:public_port).

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:16 am
DaveL17 offline

sumocomputers wrote:
One side note: On my iPhone 6+ running iOS 10, it never has a problem, but it is always accessed using a DynDNS style name, (like my_server.com:public_port).

My iPhone 6S+ is connecting via Bonjour and seems to be connecting faster than ever. It feels like they did change something Bonjourish in iOS 10.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:25 am
howartp offline

DaveL17 wrote:
My iPhone 6S+ is connecting via Bonjour and seems to be connecting faster than ever. It feels like they did change something Bonjourish in iOS 10.

I have only just launched Touch since my upgrade yesterday, in response to this thread - and I'd certainly agree with Dave's observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:00 am
sumocomputers offline

I have reverted 2 of the 3 iPad Minis back to iOS 9.3.5, and I should know soon if it is any better.

I would say there is some anecdotal evidence pointing to iPad on iOS 10 not working, and iPhone on iOS 10 working fine.

I am wondering if it is some difference in the WiFi chip or stack that Apple changed.

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 am
mat offline

I agree - 10 does feel/seem faster on Bonjour and I have patchy wifi while doing building work - unfortunately the better half just upgraded so I can't do a speed test.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:25 pm
sumocomputers offline

I can confirm that the iOS 9.3.5 units are working great after a few hours and the iOS 10.0.1 is still having issues (All iPad Mini 2).

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm
aldera offline

I have an iPad mini 4 and an iPhone 6S on iOS 10 and they are both working fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:37 pm
sumocomputers offline

rehafer,

What iOS devices have you seen the issue on? And what OS is running on the Mac?

rehafer wrote:
I encountered an issue where Touch can't connect locally, via Bonjour, to my server; but only occasionally.
At what appeares to be random intervals, Touch will time out while trying to connect to my server locally. On the settings screen, I can select my dynamic dns address and connect as normal. Also, if I delete the local connection from the list, in about 10 seconds it reappears and can connect as expected.
I'm assuming it is an iOS 10 issue because I don't remember it happening before updating. Maybe some new Bonjour protocol?

Posted on
Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:12 pm
citysnaps offline

I've been running Indigo Touch with 10.0.1 on my iPhone 6+ and so far have not found any issues connecting via Bonjour WiFi. Schedules, triggers, lights, motion sensors, cameras (via Cynical SecuritySpy), and iMessage alerts with photos appear to work fine.
Attachments
Indigo touch.jpg
Indigo touch.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:23 pm
rehafer offline

[quote="sumocomputers"]rehafer,

What iOS devices have you seen the issue on? And what OS is running on the Mac?

I've noticed the issue on my iPhone 6s, I have an iPad but I used Touch on it less frequently and it leaves home less often so haven't noticed.
Mac OS 10.5 (early 2009 mini)

It may be coincidence but thinking about it I haven't experienced the problem since I updated Homebridge.

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 pm
rehafer offline

Amazing how much clearer I think when I get home from work. The Homebridge-indigo update was to prevent Indigo from being overloaded by to many requests form iOS 10 HomeKit. Are you all running Homebridge or something else that may be bogging down Indigo and preventing bonjour connection?