Play sound and speak to client (iPad)

Posted on
Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 am
DrLove offline

Play sound and speak to client (iPad)

Hi.

Can I send audio to the clients from Indigo some how?
In HomeSeer I could "Text-to-Speak" to clients and trigger audio files in the HSTouch app.
What I want is to use my iPads as door bells.
I could live w/ a second app in the background that I could trigger from Indigo. Thinking of using Pushover but I want more sounds to choose from. And I would love to send text to the clients for them to speak out loud.

Best regards, L

Love Kull (yes it's my name)
Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:19 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Play sound and speak to client (iPad)

One possibility would be to use the Growl plugin and Prowl on your iPads. You can configure Prowl to play a sound depending on the notification and you can also have it redirect the notification to another app.

I use Growl/Prowl for notifications on a daily basis and I find the combination to be very reliable.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:49 am
DrLove offline

Thanks!

Kind of how I planed to use Pushover, I used Prowl w/ HomeSeer but now I use Pushover.

Any other ideas?

/L

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:33 pm
palantir offline

I used Airfoil on my MacMini where Indigo is running and Airfoil Speaker on my iPad.

The audio port of the iPad is connected to my amplifier. On the MacMini, Airfoil intercepts the Systems Audio.

I use the Indigo plugins to control Airfoil (and iTunes). This allows me to stream audio from the MacMini to any selected i-device. Whenever I use the Indigo 'Speak' feature, this sound gets mixed with the audio playing - if any and since the system audio is intercepted by Airfoil, the entire audio signal also sent to my iPad, and from there to the speakers in the selected room(s).

Not sure if this would be a solution for you, but if you want to play standard announcements to the intercom ("Welcome to my castle!"), or select pre-recorded audio clip from an iTunes library, well, that should work in this way...

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:05 am
DrLove offline

Perfect, exactly what I'm looking for. IF the Airfoil speaker app on the iPad can run in background and still play audio if I have the Indigo touch app in front?

Best regards, L

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:42 am
palantir offline

Yes it does. Whatever else you do on the iPad, the sound channel from the Mac to the iPad stays active in the background. Pretty neat.

With the Indigo Airfoil plug-in you can also control the which i-device you want to stream to. That would allow you to only stream a welcome message to the iPad where someone rang the bell and not to all. What you can NOT do is stream on audio source (eg iTunes) to one i-device and at the same time stream another audio source (eg. Indigo speaking a message) to another i-device. You can have only one source simultaneously, yet many selectable targets.

Again, in my setup Airfoil captures / intercepts my Systems Audio. iTunes plays to that, and so does Indigo. If Indigo speaks a message while the music is playing, the two get mixed and I hear a voice "heater goes on" while the music is playing. Quite slick... :-)

Have fun!

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 am
DrLove offline

Tested it and it works great! Thanks!

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:43 am
DrLove offline

palantir wrote:
Yes it does. Whatever else you do on the iPad, the sound channel from the Mac to the iPad stays active in the background. Pretty neat.

Have you done anything special w/ your iPad app to get it to be active in the background?
I can't get it to stay active (iOS 8.1).

//L

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Page 1 of 1