The new app

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 pm
Umtauscher offline

The new app

I know you are working on a new app for ios.
Since I have several devices that run iOS6 I just wanted to ask if the new app will continiue to work on devices using iOS5 and 6.
TIA
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm
wiery offline

Re: The new app

I was going to ask the same thing, i'm sure there are a lot of people that still have an iPad Original and would be great even if V1.7 was maintained

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 pm
Umtauscher offline

Well it's a bit more serious with me.
I have jailbroken all my devices to stop being forced to update to 7.
(really hate it)
I would rather switch to Android.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It isn't set in stone yet, but the next major release will likely have iOS 7 as a minimum requirement. Although we would like to support older versions, the amount of time required to support iOS 6 or earlier is significant.

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 pm
Umtauscher offline

very sad to hear that.
If that really would be true, you could stop development right now. (for my taste)
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Will your devices not support iOS 7, or do you just not want to upgrade to it?

I believe iOS 7 runs all the way back to iPhone 4 hardware. On hardware older than that Indigo Touch 1.7 should run well.

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:16 pm
Umtauscher offline

I have 4 devices that don't support it ( iPad, iPod Touches). and 2 that do.
But I don't support it either. ;-)

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm
roussell offline

The new app

I have 5 1st gen iPads permanently mounted to the walls of my house. No support for IOS 5.x will be a major problem for me. Sonos hurt the house's performance earlier this year when they dropped support of and connectivity to their gear with their previous app, even though it worked fine. If you guys drop support for IOS 5.x at least please consider releasing the old app source in some fashion so those of us with old, but functional hardware can at least have the option of moving forward with a custom app. I'd rather not write an app from scratch or move to a different HA platform.

Terry

Posted on
Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It isn't set in stone yet, but the next major release will likely have iOS 7 as a minimum requirement. Although we would like to support older versions, the amount of time required to support iOS 6 or earlier is significant.

This is very, very true -- I had to abandon support for iOS6 and previous versions at work as well because of the amount of additional work required to continue supporting both platforms.

Those with older hardware -- keep in mind that you will be able to continue using the existing application even after a new version is released, at least as long as Indigo itself supports the communication. Obviously you won't have any of the flashy new features, but you should not lose any functionality. Had a nervous moment with an old iPad (original) where in I couldn't load a couple of apps from the App Store because they had been updated for iOS7; however, upon synching with iTunes it went ahead and downloaded the older version of those same apps for me.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:53 am
oktemplar offline

The current version of Indigo Touch should work well on the old iOS versions. It ran great for me on iOS 6 and 7 (even though the screen size has been wonky since the 5x phones). I only started having issues with iOS 8 as many others did.

I think as long as the server still supports connections from the earlier version then those of you with the older iOS devices should be fine right? I do know of vendors who flat out remove server-side support for the old versions but I don't think that's what Matt is suggesting from the sounds of it.

I guess to me it doesn't seem unreasonable that new features are only available on new hardware.

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, there is no plan to make Indigo Server changes that would cause Indigo Touch 1.7 to become incompatible. That might happen some day, but not in the near future.

We generally provide backwards compatibility very far back. For example, I don't know of many (any?) modern Mac OS apps that still support all the way back to OS X 10.5. We do this because we recognize many of our users are running their home servers on much older Macs. It is tough though because users also want the new functionality. As an example, we currently are facing the issue of users wanting to use python 2.6 or higher for plugins, yet Mac OS X 10.5 has python 2.5 installed. Supporting both python versions is not only difficult from a development perspective, but also confusing for end users because then some plugins won't be compatible on all Indigo installs.

Balancing these trade-offs is part of what we have to do. We have to recognize that it won't be possible to meet everyone's needs – tradeoffs have to be made weighing adding support for new functionality / OS services versus supporting legacy hardware / OS versions. In the case of the next major release of Indigo Touch, we have decided requiring iOS 7 or higher is in the best interest of a majority of our users and Indigo's direction and future (as well as our sanity on the dev/QA side ;-) ).

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 am
Umtauscher offline

Well, I suppose you could develop for 6 and compile it for 7 and up.
TomTom and other major companies do it. In factr TomTom also supports 5.

I can hardly think of any function in the newer OS's that would be required for Indigo.
In fact I personally will not throw away perfectly working device, just because some .... thinks it's better looking?!?

Speaking of Indigo touch, I think it is not so up to date and needs a redesign apart from optics.

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:36 am
roussell offline

A backwards-compatible app that only displays control pages would be awesome. Something simple - no slide transitions, button "click" sounds, opens directly to a specified control pages etc. Surely that wouldn't be TOO hard, right guys... ;-) I mean I could do it, but it'd be a lot easier if I could guilt (uh I mean persuade) you into it. :)

Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 6+ will appreciate the new app, but the walls of my house are going to feel antiquated... sigh...

Where do I cast my vote for RogueProeliator as the third member of the Indigo team and official mobile app developer??? ;-)

Terry

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:11 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 6+ will appreciate the new app, but the walls of my house are going to feel antiquated... sigh...

LOL, this would sound very strange outside of a HA forum... :-)

Posted on
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 pm
roussell offline

Ha! So true!! :D