openURL Schemes

Posted on
Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:41 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

openURL Schemes

This thread is for sharing openURL schemes for iOS apps. For those who don't know, openURL schemes are used to link to/open an app on your device, and you can use them on your Indigo control pages by selecting "Link To External URL" and typing in the openURL for the app you want!

I recently contacted Rob who makes the Remote Patrol software for BenSoftware's "Security Spy" and he said he would implement openURL in his next update and let me know when it is out, so I will update this thread when that happens.

----

UPDATE
Rob got back to me very fast and has already submitted an updated version which is not live in the App store, here are the schemes you can use with Remote Patrol:

URL Syntax: remotepatrol://?serverNum=<server number>[&cameraNum=<camera number>]

Examples:
1) remotepatrol://
2) remotepatrol://?serverNum=8
3) remotepatrol://?serverNum=8&cameraNum=25

1) Opens Remote Patrol same as if you tapped it from the home screen.
2) Opens Remote Patrol to the multi-view display for the indicated server (serverNum)
3) Opens Remote Patrol to the camera info view (shown here) for the given server/camera

*note: if you pass in a camera you MUST also provide a server number, otherwise you will open to the servers list table.

----

You can search for schemes here http://handleopenurl.com/ but it is by no means an exhaustive list.
For now, the ones I use are:

Plex - plexapp://
Netflix - nflx://
CCal - ccal://
Mocha VNC - mochavnc://
Itunes Remote (the Apple one) - remote://
Denon Remote - denonremoteapp://
Remote Patrol - remotepatrol://?serverNum=8&cameraNum=25

If you guys use this too and post what you use I will update this post with your contributions!

Your contributions:
Rowmote - rowmote://
Last edited by SpencerJRoberts on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:34 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Re: openURL Schemes

UPDATE

Rob got back to me about implementing Remote Patrol openURL schemes, first post has been updated with details.

Posted on
Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 pm
nsheldon offline

rowmote://

Opens the Rowmote app (which turns your iPhone, iPod or iPad into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for the Mac).

Posted on
Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 am
Jpaction offline

Nest
nestmobile://

Posted on
Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 pm
Korey offline

Weather Underground: "WUnderstation"

wunderstation://

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:17 am
Roland offline

I am new to Indigo and I want to use a few apps like Plex to be launched from the Control Page. The method described here works fine, however, Indigo becomes invisible and must be launched again after Plex is closed. Is there any way to make Indigo visible again? Obviously, return path doesn't work and I also couldn't find anything on the Plex HTS to give it a link back to Indigo. Any ideas?

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 am
roussell offline

Roland, see this link: http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... uch_urls&s[]=url

Is this what you're wanting?

Terry

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 am
Roland offline

Terry, thanks, unfortunately not.
When I launch Plex via "plexapp://", Plex becomes the active window and Indigo is send to the background, its window closed. When I then close Plex, iOS returns to the home screen and the user has to re-launch Indigo again.
Ideally, I'm looking for something like "plexapp://?returnpath=indigo://", but I couldn't find any info on the plex web pages (asked the question also there). As there are many Plex users here, I thought, maybe someone has found a solution or workaround for this already.

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

While it might technically be possible for an App to call a URL for another App when it goes into the background, I don't know that anyone's ever tried it (and my guess is that Apple wouldn't allow it). One reason is that you could end up getting yourself into a situation where your app never goes to the background (if it called it's own URL).

A better question for the Plex guys is if there's a way to have a control in the Plex app that would in turn open an indigo:// url...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:08 pm
achterberg offline

Not really a solution to this, but interesting code from Google Maps I think. If you enter the following in a Go to External URL Client Action:

Code: Select all
comgooglemaps-x-callback://?q=30.2500,-97.7500&zoom=18&markers=color:blue%7Clabel:S&scale=2&x-success=indigo://?resume=true&x-source=indigo

the page returned:
Attachments
gmap.png
gmap.png (100.67 KiB) Viewed 21605 times

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:24 pm
roussell offline

Ok that's cool. Thanks for sharing!

Terry

Posted on
Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 pm
Roland offline

Thanks for all your feedback.
Unfortunately, no answer from Plex. Same problem with Sonos (sonophone, sonopad can do it, but it's quite simple and I couldn't find my spotify on it). Yesterday, I tried the whole day with Roomie, however, they leave a blank page when jumping over to Indigo; asked them, whether I could directly address explicit pages in the url call, so still waiting for their answer. Might be, I have to live with that.

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 am
Different Computers offline

Anyone know how far back in iOS this app URL function works? I've got some iPad I's doing yeoman's duty and would love to invoke the Apple Remote from a IT control page.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 am
roussell offline

Different Computers wrote:
Anyone know how far back in iOS this app URL function works? I've got some iPad I's doing yeoman's duty and would love to invoke the Apple Remote from a IT control page.

I seem to remember it working with Sonopad on one of my old iPad 1st gens a couple of years back. I think that's the reason I went with Sonopad (well that, and the fact that Sonopad could switch back to Indigo using the same method), but don't know if other apps support(ed) it.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:48 pm
Different Computers offline

Anyone know what the openURL for Airfoil Satellite is? I tried airfoil:// and no joy.

handleopenurl.com is no longer active.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.