Touch can't connect to server...

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm
P15-D24 offline

Touch can't connect to server...

Current versions of Touch and Indigo running on Yosemite MacPro connected to Airport Extreme (APE) and a cable modem. Using NAT and the MacPro has a static IP. On the APE have mapped TCP public and private ports 8176 to the MacPro IP. The firewall on the MacPro is turned off. all incoming connections allowed. in Indigo "Allow remote access, enable iPhone,iPad... and Enable Remote Indigo client access" are check marked using default ports on the MacPro server. When inside my network I can delete the existing server on Touch, close then it detects the server and reconnects. However when I go outside my local network I never connect to the server using the APE external IP and port 8176. (Could not connect to the server). When I check 8176 to be externally accessible it doesn't appear to be open. However I'm sure the NAT port mapping is correct as I have done similar NAT setups for a vpn and ssh access that work fine. What process is looking to connect to port 8176? Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Touch can't connect to server...

First, the bonjour connection won't work outside of your local network, as you have found. If you were using an Indigo Reflector, then that information would have been sent to Indigo Touch which would automatically switch the connection from the bonjour connection to the reflector connection when the iOS device switches from your local network to something else.

This automatic switch, however, doesn't work with a static manually created connection. So, you'll either need to always use your static IP connection or manually switch when you leave/enter your local network. Some users have found that a static external IP address isn't usable from inside your local network - it's some kind of network/router issue but beyond our ability to support.

We highly recommend using an Indigo Reflector not only for the auto-switching but also because connections from outside your local network are secure using SSL.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1