New Z-Wave devices

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:53 pm
Shutter offline

New Z-Wave devices

Anyone have any experience with any of these new Nodon Z-Wave devices, specifically thewall switch and either of the remotes (Soft & Octan)?

The wall switch would be a perfect way to turn on some lighting in the conservatory without running any new wires the existing switch. And the remotes would be a cool little gizmo to use for a couple different functions.

How do Z-Wave devices that haven't been specifically added to Indigo's supported list work when included? Should they work at all since they follow the Z-Wave protocol? Haven't yet experienced what would happen with any previous devices.

Thanks

Simon

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:20 pm
howartp offline

Re: New Z-Wave devices

No, but I'm liking the look of Octan for my bedside table!

If Indigo doesn't natively support a basic item like an on/off plug, it will 'usually' still work if it's using the common control classes for on/off devices.

If it's a multi-sensing thermostat that also operates ceiling fans and HVAC, you might find it reports temperature ok but the fancy features don't work.

It just boils down to what command classes the device supports.

I'm not sure about scene controllers such as these three items - if they all send a simple 'scene 1 on' etc then maybe Indigo will work with them out of the box, but I recall one such device sends scenes 2-5 when you press buttons 1-4 which isn't helpful; a device definition maps the buttons and scenes correctly.

I reckon I'll get an Octan and probably wall switch on Monday when Vesternet are putting everything on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:23 am
Shutter offline

howartp wrote:
I reckon I'll get an Octan and probably wall switch on Monday when Vesternet are putting everything on sale.

None of the Nodon items are on sale. :(

Posted on
Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 am
howartp offline

Shutter wrote:
howartp wrote:

None of the Nodon items are on sale. :(

Ah...

The title of the blog post is "Final Blow Out - Everything on Sale" so I took to mean that "everything" was "on sale".

I've now read the content of the blog post which confirms what you say. :(

Peter

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:54 am
Chockymonster offline

I thought the same when I got that email. Everything is on sale apart from the stuff I want! I'm still scratching my head with scene controllers. I just can't figure out how to get the one I have to turn things on or off. All I can get from it is battery status!

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:28 am
durosity offline

Well.. everything is on sale... just not at a reduced price ;) Fortunately the 3 things i really need are on sale so that's another £100 towards bankruptcy for me.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:01 am
steveoidm offline

Has anyone managed to get one of these working yet?

I am getting close to working out my first home automation project but need an ideally battery powered wall scene controller to make it truly useful. This looks like it would do the trick.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

They aren't working with Indigo yet, but based on the log results in this thread I am hopeful it won't be too difficult to add to a future version of Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:22 pm
Chockymonster offline

That's good to hear. Is there a way I can make use of them at all now or do I just consign them to the pile of things I've bought that don't quite work yet :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:49 am
PeteVis offline

Hi Chockymonster, take a look at this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=14323

it shows how you can put an unsupported device to use via a workaround.

Basically you set up a schedule to check the logfile. If it finds a command comming from your device, you make it act and turn on a light or whatever you want to control.

I have it set up in a schedule for my doorsensors, it runs every 10 seconds, but I'm thinking about moving the script to an external python file so I can loop it indefinatly and not have the 10 sec delay of my schedule.

That being said, it is a messy solution, but it works.

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This thread is old but I wanted to follow-up that Indigo 7.0 is now available (has been for a while). It adds supports for dozens of new Z-Wave devices, including several of the popular Nodon modules.

Posted on
Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm
Different Computers offline

Anyone know of a place to buy these in the US?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1