New Intelligent Sprinkler Controller

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 am
jeffgtx offline

Re: New Intelligent Sprinkler Controller

I have one too and got it going this weekend. Love it so far. Hope for indigo control.

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 pm
koensayr offline

I've got to be honest. I ended up writing a hacked up API for my RainMachine and plugged it into Indigo, but I'm not entirely sure what the value is. The controller basically runs itself. The only value I can see with Indigo integration is the ability to start and stop zones, from inside the Indigo app. I rarely do that anyway, and using the naitive RainMachine app for that task is totally usable.

So what is the use case then for integration of something like Rachio and RainMachine into Indigo?

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am
johnpolasek offline

koensayr wrote:
So what is the use case then for integration of something like Rachio and RainMachine into Indigo?

I've just started at looking at a sprinkler system for the new house I've recently moved to, and for me, the use case would be a better way to visualize the zones and tweak the run times on an Indigo control page map of the yard (generated from Expert Home Design), as well as seeing what zone is running and for how much longer when the system is active. I built and got very used to that interface at the old house after I put in an EZFlora, but the new yard is bigger and more varied, which means I'll need at least 10 zones with an 11th possible, making the EZ no longer an option.

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:07 pm
kw123 offline

you can easily do this with a raspberry pi.
the piBeacon solution would work out of the box with 8 outputs+ input puts for rain sensor/temp/ humidity sensing etc.
Missing are schedules you can preload to run autonomously . Will think about adding that.
You need to add relays (e.g. saint smart $7 for 8 relays)

Karl

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2016 11:03 pm
Bollar offline

koensayr wrote:

Thought it's not a high priority of mine, if I knew when the sprinkler was operating, I could make sure the Robomow didn't run at the same time. Rachio has an API, but I haven't had time to mess around with it.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:15 pm
spiv offline

Starting to research a sprinkler controller option for my Indigo system.

Are there any options other then OpenSprinkler and the EZFlora devices?

Is it correct that with the OpenSprinkler plug-in, scheduling set in Indigo runs in Indigo and is not downloaded into the controller? That is, OpenSprinkler plug-in will send zone on and zone off commands to OpenSprinkler as the schedule is run. The downside to this, if I understand properly, is that if Indigo sends a zone on command and then Indio server is not running (e.g. someone turns off the server or there is some kind of network/comm problem), OpenSprinkler will never turn off?

In contrast EZFlora is integrated directly with Indigo and the scheduling is downloaded and self-contained so it doesn't have this issue?

OTOH, I could use OpenSprinkler with its' own web and/or mobile interface to set schedules internally and then only use the Indigo Plug-in for status or manual control? Is that correct and reasonable?

Note: For my usage, I want a very reliable automated schedule running self-contained (don't need dynamic updating via internet weather forecasting or other data). The primary reason I want to automate and integrate with Indigo is to be able to view status from my control pages and when I do my 2-3 times a year walk around to adjust sprinkler spray, check for broken nozzles, etc. I don't want to run back and forth the garage control unit dozens of times to turn individual zones on or off.

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 am
jalves offline

Just found this thread. I'm considering replacing my existing controller (Hunter Pro-c) with one that will allow me to operate the system through Indigo. The thread has given me some systems to look at, but its getting old. Anybody got other suggestions?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am
Professor Falken offline

I have a first generation Rachio, and it is awesome. Was really one of my first connected/smart devices, even before I started using Indigo/Insteon/etc.

Very easy to install if you have an old RainBird or other outdated control system. Basically just connect the wires and put it on your network. It saves your schedule locally, so even if it goes completely off line, as long as it's powered it will keep watering on the last known schedule. It has features that allow for adjustments both seasonally, or based on local weather. I don't use those much, as it seems to use forecasted rain (along with already measured rain), and I've seen it skip/alter watering based on expected rain that didn't materialize. I would prefer if there was an option to only use rain that had actually happened.

I do hope someone creates a plugin for it, though frankly, probably the most I would use that for would be to pull it into Indigo for monitoring purposes. The scheduling and other functions of the Rachio app is pretty darn good. About the only feature I would like that they haven't implemented is a "pause/resume schedule" function, for if, say, you want to take a shower with normal water pressure, but the schedule is running. Right now if you stop a schedule manually, the only option is to restart it from the beginning, or manually key in a duration for whichever zones you want to water when you restart it.

Our only real issue is when we have sprinkler service done, one of us typically has to be around to trigger the zones for the serviceman. Rachio has a way of giving someone limited access for a few hours (an expiring ticket), but in our experience, no service person ever wants to do that (it's browser based, they don't have to install an app or anything). I think the newer versions of the Rachio have a physical button on the device so a zone can be started manually. This was probably to address this for the sprinkler service companies that don't want to be IT maintenance companies as well. We just schedule our service calls when either me or my wife are available to walk around with the guy and trigger them as needed.

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am
spiv offline

For my integration with OpenSprinkler, I took an old iPad (the very first generation) and mounted it to the garage wall next to the controller with a flip-open cover.

Now the gardner, or anyone else, can access a Custom Control Page that is always running on the iPad for an easy visual interface to stop/stop any zone for troubleshooting or manual watering.

Much easier than the cryptic buttons and dial of the Rainbird, which almost no one could figure out how to use.

(Since a gen 1 iPad is worth less than $25 now, was a great use for something literally in a drawer just gathering dust.)
Attachments
IMG_5651.jpg
IMG_5651.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:07 pm
Swancoat offline

koensayr wrote:
I've got to be honest. I ended up writing a hacked up API for my RainMachine and plugged it into Indigo, but I'm not entirely sure what the value is. The controller basically runs itself. The only value I can see with Indigo integration is the ability to start and stop zones, from inside the Indigo app. I rarely do that anyway, and using the naitive RainMachine app for that task is totally usable.

I also have a more basic installation. I went with the IrrigationCaddy. It's pretty no-frills, but effective. Can hardwire it to network instead of wifi, and does not rely on cloud. API commnucates directly with it. Plus someone here made a plugin for it (completely unmaintained from what I can tell, but it's reliable. Not sure what I'll do if it breaks).

Anyway, my use case is basically that despite the fact that the sprinkler controller has a timer, and a rain sensor, I don't think that sensor works very well. If it rained all week and then stopped for 3 hours, by sprinklers would still activate. And then in the summer it seemed like the schedule wasn't frequent enough.

I already use WeatherSnoop (and Indigo plugin) with a Davis Weather Station. I added a soil moisture sensor and now I just have my sprinklers run every morning, contingent on the soil moisture level (that should be the ideal way to do it, right?). So if it rains for a month, the Sprinklers don't run at all. If there's a heat wave, they might run every day for a week.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:39 pm
koensayr offline

That is exactly the benefit of having the sprinkler get data from the cloud. If it stops raining but is scheduled to rain later for example, it may choose not to run the sprinklers or at least run them for a very reduced amount of time (say 30% of the program).

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm
Professor Falken offline

by koensayr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm

That is exactly the benefit of having the sprinkler get data from the cloud. If it stops raining but is scheduled to rain later for example, it may choose not to run the sprinklers or at least run them for a very reduced amount of time (say 30% of the program).

And actually, the converse would probably be the use case if I had a Rachio plugin. I'd let the system do its thing on its own most of the time, but I could use Indigo to cause it to skip a cycle if the 24 hour rainfall exceeded some amount (as opposed to the built-in Rachio system, which uses measured rainfall + "predicted rain").

As with most things, Indigo gives the user the ability to almost endlessly customize the behavior of their networked devices, extending functionality far beyond what was initially designed into the device.

Posted on
Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 pm
mclass offline

New Intelligent Sprinkler Controller

I have implemented an even simpler system. I have installed 24VAC solenoids on each zone, and used Fibaro dual switches (the earlier ones with voltage free contacts) installed in a weatherproof box with a small 240V to 24VAC transformer. Each of these enclosures operate two zones.

Two weatherproof push buttons allow the Fibaro module switches to be manually toggled for maintenance or manual (local) operation.

The schedule is implemented within Indigo, with control/over-ride available on a control page on our central iPad in the kitchen.

I have yet to implement weather monitoring or soil resistance measuring -or the ability to adjust schedules. They're on the "to do" list along with all those other things!!

Note that the new Fibaro dual switch no longer offers voltage free contacts, so I'm currently searching for an alternative device. The fall-back position will be to use a transformer for each zone, and switch the 240VAC supply to the transformer.

My system has proved reliable over the last two or three years, and has succeeded in scoring highly in the WAF (wife acceptance factor) stakes!!

Whilst I have opted for "decentralized" control boxes located close to each group of solenoids (requiring a mains outlet adjacent to each), there is no reason that all zone switches could be centralized in a larger enclosure with 24AC wiring run to each solenoid.

The only downside to my approach is that should Indigo go off-line (hasn't happened yet), there will be no watering - although with the push button on the control box(es) adjacent to the solenoid, manual watering can continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am
spiv offline

mclass wrote:
I have implemented an even simpler system....

Are you sure about that? The OpenSprinkler costs only $150 and can control 8 zones (more with expansion unit).

I would think the cost of all the Fibaro switches you need, plus the transformers, plus the waterproof cases, etc. etc. probably adds up to a higher cost.

With Open Sprinkler you can choose whether the plug-in and Indigo control everything, or let the built-in controller run the automatic cycles on its own with only status and manual control via Indigo.

(I think you have built an interesting system, but just want to understand if low-cost/simplicity was your goal or just to have fun with a DIY solution even if more expensive/less capable?)

Posted on
Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm
mclass offline

.... just want to understand if low-cost/simplicity was your goal or just to have fun with a DIY solution even if more expensive/less capable?)

Both :lol:

Consider this:
- my property is an inner-urban solid brick terrace house without underfloor access, making wiring from a central controller to only four zones, each physically separated by the building, difficult and expensive. Wireless control of individual valves was considered the most cost efficient solution, but I was unable to find affordable valves with integrated wi-fi control (still my preferred solution).
- I am located in Australia. By the time I get an OpenSprinkler or similar to Australia, I'm faced with shipping and currency exchange fees, making it not so cheap. I could assemble my own hardware and use the Open Sprinkler firmware, but then I'd just be "having fun" :roll:
- my system was commissioned several years ago, before the availability of devices such as the low cost, ESP-based Sonoff modules,

With the resident gardener planning an additional zone, I am considering the use of a Sonoff (with firmware modified to work with the excellent Arduino plugin for Indigo) or WeMo wi-fi switch with a small transformer dedicated to each valve as alternative. The other option under consideration is the Sonoff SV module (although would require the added complexity (and cost) of a low voltage supply.

Any alternative suggestions welcome!