Fire tablets on sale

Posted on
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 pm
roussell offline

Fire tablets on sale

Amazon has the 7”, 8”, and 10” tablets on sale for Black Friday for $29, $49, and $99, respectively.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Fire tablets on sale

My dad picked up a new 7" for my son to replace his which has a finicky charger (I can't imagine WHY it is finicky when it is yanked from the charger every time... if ONLY I had suggested that this not be the way it is removed...) Anyway, thought I was gaining myself a HA controller in his old one but my wife apparently laid claim to it. So I guess I will have to use my Nexus 7 as that and purchase a new PIxelbook! :-| When the wife asks, it is roughly the same price as the Fire 7...

But just to second your first post, these are definitely great tablets for the money. A small hassle to get Google Play on the device, but nothing all that major. I wish creating an Amazon App Store version was simple enough to be worth the effort, but alas it does not seem to be from my limited research. I might need to revisit that again, though, as the Analytics say that Amazon branded devices are second only to Samsung in app installs by manufacturer.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am
Busta999 offline

Bought a slack handful last year as gifts.

Run two of them for Indigo displays, so useful I just bought two more and will do the same.

Also picked up 2 Hue Lightstrips + 2 GU10 bulbs for £99 and another motion detector with a Hue Hub 2 for £39, figured it was time to spread the load on the existing Hue Hub and for £5 effectively, not worth messing around.

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:46 am
CliveS offline

Busta999 wrote:
Run two of them for Indigo displays, so useful I just bought two more and will do the same.

I was just about to buy the 8" HD but have been reading the 1 star reviews all stating the 2017 is not as good as the previous versions and gives blurred output, when yours arrive can you give some feedback please (7 or 8 inch whichever you bought)

Busta999 wrote:
Also picked up 2 Hue Lightstrips + 2 GU10 bulbs for £99 and another motion detector with a Hue Hub 2 for £39, figured it was time to spread the load on the existing Hue Hub and for £5 effectively, not worth messing around.
Yes I just ordered the Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 10W E27 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0 for £90, which works out as £20 off each bulb and a ‘free’ hub, had not thought of adding it to spread the load, have to see how to add that to Nathan's Hue plugin!

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 pm
Busta999 offline

CliveS wrote:
Busta999 wrote:

I was just about to buy the 8" HD but have been reading the 1 star reviews all stating the 2017 is not as good as the previous versions and gives blurred output, when yours arrive can you give some feedback please (7 or 8 inch whichever you bought)

The 7” and 8” I am using now were both purchased last Black Friday in 2016 so not current gen.

I received 2 new 7” today - I’ll pull one out and try it now and compare against the older 7” I’ll post back here when done.

BTW I am incredibly impressed by the 8” - I have am]n iPad 12.9” and wanted something smaller to play with and it continues to impress.

Busta999 wrote:
Yes I just ordered the Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 10W E27 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0 for £90, which works out as £20 off each bulb and a ‘free’ hub, had not thought of adding it to spread the load, have to see how to add that to Nathan's Hue plugin!

I have 40 Hue lights and about 10 motion detectors in house that has a major extension on it - so splits the house by an exterior wall and I have been running into issues of ‘lost’ lights - so thought I may add a second hub and see if it helps with them placed at opposite ends of the house. Worst case scenario I spent a £5 for a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm
Colly offline

CliveS wrote:

Decided to take the plunge myself on 2 x 7" so will see how they go next week. If all else fails I've a 3 & a 5 year old who'll put them to good use. :D

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 am
Busta999 offline

CliveS wrote:
Busta999 wrote:

Got the new gen 7 7” Fire Tablet setup with Play Store ...

If you have added Play Store to a Fire Tablet before be aware on the upgraded Fireos you need to press power off then log back in to get the Install button to light up when installing AFKs. Took me a while to figure that one out.

The new 7” is working great!

It is noticeably faster than the gen 6 for the only thing I am really interested in, Domotics Pad for Indigo Control Pages.

The font is slightly smaller on the gen 7 than the gen 6 showing the same Control Page in web view.

The colours appear more saturated.

Blue shade is still grim.

This better because now all the text fits where it is supposed to, on the gen 6 text never sat quite right, not on the line, over running box borders etc.

The gen 7 looks and performs much better than the gen 6, which for £29 is OUTSTANDING.

So far, and I am only 20 minutes into testing this it seems to be doing a great job as an Indigo display.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:03 am
CliveS offline

Busta999 wrote:
The gen 7 looks and performs much better than the gen 6, which for £29 is OUTSTANDING.

So far, and I am only 20 minutes into testing this it seems to be doing a great job as an Indigo display.

I just can't make up my mind on this, you have answered the doubts I had about loading DomoPad and the speed, the only other things I may use it for is web browsing (terribly slow on my iPad2 on IOS9.3, the lag is horrendous) and as a Kindle Reader (novel idea that ;) ) so would the 7" be OK or would you think 8" HD a better bet?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 am
Busta999 offline

For personal use get the 8”, I have a gen6, got it last Black Friday- for £49 it was worth a punt. As a very-cheap iPad mini substitute it is exceptional. Can’t speak for gen 7 though. But as long as you remember it is one fifth of the price of an iPad mini ....... If you get one drop me a PM and I’ll send you the best link I have found for tweaking it :-)

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm
CliveS offline

Busta999 wrote:
For personal use get the 8”, I have a gen6, got it last Black Friday- for £49 it was worth a punt. As a very-cheap iPad mini substitute it is exceptional. Can’t speak for gen 7 though. But as long as you remember it is one fifth of the price of an iPad mini ....... If you get one drop me a PM and I’ll send you the best link I have found for tweaking it :-)

Well I decided on the 8" HD ( and an Amazon Dot but that can wait for @autolog to look at the Alexa plugin with Gen2 devices ) and am impressed for the price, thanks for the push for the 8" over the 7".
I will send you a PM for the link for tweaking it as I might as well do that before installing DomoPad but wonder if the install procedure is still the same with the new 5.6.0.0 Fire OS

CliveS

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm
Busta999 offline

CliveS wrote:

I will send you a PM for the link for tweaking it as I might as well do that before installing DomoPad but wonder if the install procedure is still the same with the new 5.6.0.0 Fire OS

The best site I have found for adding Google Playstore without rooting is

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon ... e-t3486603

Once done you can add Domopad

I am using my 8” Fire a lot more than I expected.

Very pleased with it.

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm
CliveS offline

Thanks for that

CliveS

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm
Busta999 offline

CliveS wrote:
Thanks for that

If you run into any problems ping me and we can work it through.

I’m using three 7” Fires as permanent Domopad displays in the house

Page 1 of 1