[HOW TO] Smart home notifications on Android TV

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 am
jh71283 offline

[HOW TO] Smart home notifications on Android TV

Hi All

This has been bugging me for a while, so I decided to set aside a couple of hours this morning to finally solve it... My smart home can now overlay messages on my TV, regardless of source!

What you'll need
[*] Android TV device (I am using my Sony TV which runs Android natively)
[*] Another android device, preferably a tablet or something that stays in the house
[*] Android apps: 'Pushover' and 'Notifications for android TV'

How it works
The 'other' android device acts like a bridge between pushover and your TV. Pushover cannot be installed on Android TV, so we need to install pushover on the tablet to receive and forward the notifications.

To forward the notifications, you need to install 'Notifications for Android TV' on both the TV and the tablet. Once set up, any notifications on the tablet will be mirrored to the TV.

Now, to get messages from your smart home to pushover, you will need to install the pushover Indigo plugin, and just set up any actions you want to!

So, when something happens, your message will go
[Indigo] ---> [Pushover] ---> [Tablet] ---> [TV]
Because this is a full 'Push' set-up, i.e. no polling, it means that the lag from indigo to the TV is typically < 1 second.

Hopefully you guys might find this useful, I was excited to achieve it, and wanted to post about it!

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:11 am
durosity offline

Re: [HOW TO] Smart home notifications on Android TV

Very cool.. might try it out later with my horrible horrible android tv. (Seriously that thing crashes more than a toddler that’s had too much sugar!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:32 am
noel1983 offline

Hi, have you any pictures of notifications on the tv, be good to see what it looks like Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 am
durosity offline

jh71283 might be able to provide that for you, however Pushover is now available for Android TV so that may well be an easier solution. I've not tried it myself yet, but my trial of JH71283's steps didn't go so well.. whenever a notification came through it'd actually push the program you're watching to the background and come up with a text box in the bottom right. I'd then have to quit out of the app and re-launch whatever i was watching before. This doesn't seem to happen with all tvs but i did see a couple of other people complaining about it on Philips (the kind i have) and Sony i think it was.

I might try out the pushover option tonight and see how well it works.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1