MessageBird - sms and voice

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 am
Shutter offline

MessageBird - sms and voice

I'm always on the look for a good way to have my system notify me for alarm and critical events via voice or sms. My reasoning behind voice or sms is that it's more likely to be received when the signal strength for data is low. I had been using Cuube but have been testing this morning MessageBird. A much slicker interface with a fast response from email to voice, email to sms, and send to voice via the web interface. I'll now look into creating triggers in Indigo for this. IFTTT also supports MessageBird, which I'll look into, but I've found IFTTT to be rather slow - if I could buy credits for a faster response time then I would.

I also see that MessageBird has an API - figured there might be devs interested in this willing and to create a plugin for Indigo.

Simon

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: MessageBird - sms and voice

There's already a plugin to use Twilio for sending/receiving SMS/MMS/Voice calls. viewforum.php?f=213

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:04 am
Shutter offline

Completely missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out.

But just to be clear, this is only for sending SMS messages from Indigo via Twillo, correct? Is it able to initiate a voice call, say via text-to-speech? What I used before with Cuube, and now testing with MessageBird, is have an email notification sent from Indigo to the service which then calls the number(s) and speaks. There is nothing more immediate than receiving a phone call. Ideally it would bypass the email and go from Indigo to phone call, but from testing it was pretty quick.

Simon

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:19 am
FlyingDiver offline

No, Twilio does text-to-speech as well. Use the "Place a Message Call" action.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:57 am
Shutter offline

Perfect, I'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 1