Control of existing lighting

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 am
trevorsmith offline

Control of existing lighting

So I dont need to replace all of my many recessed light bulbs could I just install something like this
Z-Wave Qubino Flush 1D Relay in the ceiling space? My lights (as is prevalent in the UK) are wired on the end of a 1A cable coming radially from the fuse box. Switching the whole lot on and off at will would be a cinch if there is a device like this that is suitable. Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Control of existing lighting

I'm no wiring expert so I won't comment on the specific feasibility of what you want to do, but I'll say that given the choice between non-color-changing smart bulbs and dumb white bulbs connected to a smart switch, I'll always go with the latter.

Smart bulbs are great for when you need color changing, for when you have no neutrals, and for when you aren't able to put in a new smart switch. Otherwise, they're annoying because turning them off at the switch kills their controllability, and for most bulbs, if you lose power, they all pop back on at full brightness when the power comes back on.

Plus in your case it sounds like one smart switch for <$70, vs. multiple $25 bulbs.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am
trevorsmith offline

yes - agreed. thanks for replying. just swapped PMs with Vesternet who pointed me in the right direction. I'll report back on success or otherwise

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 am
yassi offline

That's what I need too, like Trevor.

I have a ceiling lamp with 5 LED bulbs which I want to integrate into my Indigo.
The question is if it's not easier to replace the wall-switch instead adding a Qubino switch?
It's a cost factor too and I think it has the same functionality.
Or am I wrong?

Yassi

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 am

@Yassi it comes down to how much you want individual control of the 5 bulbs, and whether you want them to be able to change color. Also whether or not there's a neutral in the switch box, and if not, how expensive it will be to add one.

For MOST people, a single smart switch for somewhere between USD 35 and 70 is much cheaper than 5x $25 or so for smart bulbs, and with greater convenience.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 am
yassi offline

Well, I don't want to replace the bulbs or control them individually, just want to integrate the whole lamp as it is into Indigo and switch it on/ off, eventually dim.

So, basically I just need something which brings it via Z-Wave into Indigo.
Here in Germany the wires are like this: live, neutral and ground (sometime only live an neutral).

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 am

I can't advise about Germany specific issues like "what's available?" and "what works here?" but I'm quite happy with my GE z wave switches.

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 am
autolog offline

I have got LED down-lighters in the hall, landing, main bathroom and ensuite bathroom. I am using a number of Qubino Flush Relay x 1 (non-gen 5).

To operate them via a wall switch, I have replaced all my wall switches with MK Grid Plus Switches e.g. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4885.html. These enable the momentary turning on/off and dimming function of the Qubino Flush Relay to be controlled. They also look quite smart. :)

Using this method means that you don't have to worry about a neutral, you just use the existing switch cable to feed into the Qubino Relay. for the downstairs ceiling lights I did have to lift some floorboards to wire it up but you might be able to get away without doing that. The upstairs ceiling lights were easier as I could access them from the loft. The Qubino also accepts a temperature probe which I have deployed in the loft to monitor the loft temperature.

I can recommend the Wago system for lighting wiring. It is more expensive but it really makes the job a lot easier. :)
- https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index ... Wago_Lever
- https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAGOBOXL.html
- https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WAGOBOX.html
- https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA413.html

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm
agame offline

I’ll also call out the wago joiners. All the zwave relays I’ve used have undersized and fiddly screw connector that barely fit standard (Australian in my case) building wire (this is usually solid core and relatively inflexible). Linking the relays with more flexible cable is sometimes key to tucking them away in the wall cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am
trevorsmith offline

I've gone for a Fibaro Dimmer 2 unit..eeds no neutral and is pretty small. It can be used as a switch or a dimmer, even with legacy wall switches, depending on how you wire it up.

I don't know yet whether to try and get it in the wall plate of the switch or in the ceiling space where the wiring comes into the room. Either way, its not clear to me how you'd pair the device with the ZWave controller at a later date (if you need to), once its all hidden

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am
autolog offline

trevorsmith wrote:
... Either way, its not clear to me how you'd pair the device with the ZWave controller at a later date (if you need to), once its all hidden

It normally involves turning off the mains at the consumer unit (just the lighting circuit), leave it off a short while (I normally count to 10) and then switch it back on again. You will probably then have 60 seconds to include it which time you typically do this by switching the relevant light switch on and off a number of times (having put Indigo/Z-Stick into inclusion mode). It can help to have a spare pair of hands to assist. :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm
jh71283 offline

I wouldn't say that's the prevalent way of wiring lights in the UK... the majority are on a lighting ring, hence the complex ceiling rose arrangements in each room.

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:57 pm
siclark offline

trevorsmith wrote:
Either way, its not clear to me how you'd pair the device with the ZWave controller at a later date (if you need to), once its all hidden

For Qubino they will auto include once power is restored or otherwise you just have to press the switch on I2 3 times (possibly 5 times). No reason to open things up again once installed.

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm
mat offline

I'm with Jon and Trevor. Fabaro2 behind the wall switch. That way nothing complex for visitors but automated for indigo

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 pm
siclark offline

I 4th the use of Fibaro or Qubino modules (and sure aeotec but no personal experience of them) over expensive bulbs (although they do have their place)

And second the use of the Wago connections rather than old chocolate boxes (is that the right term?) . Take time to get the wiring neat, so you know you've done it right and it will work first time.

I use the Click minigrid switches which I, and more importantly the wife, like.
Attachments
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG (89.35 KiB) Viewed 4388 times