We Need a Contributor-Editable Wiki

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 am
mat offline

Re: We Need a Contributor-Editable Wiki

I agree with most of the above. But we need a different approach. Apart from python, keeping up with plugins is my problem.

For me, I've been on here for a while and the forum is a great source of help when wanting to tackle a problem. However with a year and a half away building a new house, I now feel that there are gaps in my knowledge (eg homebridge etc) that were developed/explored/extended while I was "away". I know I can catch up but some of the threads are hundreds of posts long and resolving an error without reading the whole lot takes time.

I suspect that for new people coming in the learning curve is high, and could be daunting for the less able.

What I feel would be useful would be some form of organisation and brief instructions on all of the current plugins. Many of the more experienced developers do this in their forum pages, but a central referenced library would make things easier for new people coming in. Then following each a troubleshooting of common errors.

I think its a big ask for Matt and Jay to look at this.

Perhaps its a case of making a list of everything that needs doing, volunteering to write sections, and then Matt, Jay and a small team editing it all together?

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am
neilk offline

I tend to agree, I think I have done a lot but in many ways have only scratched the surface. I have on my wish list spending time on PiBeacon and my control pages around media control ,as well as crack a plugin for DoorBird that I have 90% done. I would be happy to help either review or in some cases even write some stuff from perhaps a more basic "how to" perspective.
I do think it would help the new starters get going as figuring out what the plugins can do is sometimes a forensic exercise (not in any way a criticism to anyone as the authors are so responsive to requirements). I do know I missed a number of things that really should have been in the "bleeding obvious" category if I was more competent.
The quality of the people on these forums is a big reason why I am an advocate and I do think collectively we can enhance this. Maybe a starting point could be a thread or even moderated post per plugin that explains a representative use case that if considered useful could be made sticky.

Neil

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok guys, here's what we've decided to do: I've created a new wiki space called userwiki in our DokuWiki system (no, we don't use phpbb for the wiki, it's DokuWiki). I've already given bollar full access (you signed up for a wiki account a while back) and will grant full access to anyone who requests it (create a wiki account then send your wiki AND forum usernames to support@indigodomo.com) requesting full access to it.

We will only apply a simple filter to those requests in regards to granting access: you must have been at least somewhat active here on the forums or we should know you through email support. We probably won't grant access to someone who we've never heard of before through any of our support methods. I think this is a reasonable way of trying to protect against any mischievous activity. If you already have any other editing status (there are a few) then you also have full access to the userwiki.

This is an experiment to see how a completely user-driven wiki area works out, and it gives us the ability to identify users who we might feel comfortable giving further editing permissions.

Bollar wrote:
For your documentation, I get your concern, but I don't think it's as big a deal as you do - presumably you and your trusted editors would quickly revert anything that is incorrect.

Yes, well, monitoring all changes that come through on the documentation with a larger community of editors can quickly become a full-time job for which we have no employee. Given that this is the sole supported documentation for the product, I don't think anyone would expect it to be writable by someone outside of the company. I don't know of any other commercial software product that allows the sole source of their documentation to be edited directly by the user community.

So - good luck! It will be very interesting and informative to see how this new wiki area shapes up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:04 pm
Bollar offline

Cool. I accept the nomination and will get started tonight. I hope others join me!

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 pm
yassi offline

Good thing, jay! Thx in the name of the community!

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm
Bollar offline

jay (support) wrote:
I've already given bollar full access (you signed up for a wiki account a while back) and will grant full access to anyone who requests it (create a wiki account then send your username to support@indigodomo.com) requesting full access to it.

Looks like I only have read access. Can you confirm?

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Bollar wrote:

Nope - you have write access to the userwiki. Your username is bollar.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 pm
Bollar offline

jay (support) wrote:
Bollar wrote:

Nope - you have write access to the userwiki. Your username is bollar.

Okay.

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:39 pm
Bollar offline

I can edit the landing page, but I don't see how I can add a page. Am I missing something?

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Check out the DokiWiki docs, specifically the Create a page section. Pretty standard for wiki editing.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 pm
Bollar offline

jay (support) wrote:
Check out the DokiWiki docs, specifically the Create a page section. Pretty standard for wiki editing.

Thx. The wikis I currently work with are WYSIWYG, so I'm remembering how markup works.

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 am
Bollar offline

I added a start for three devices that I use and will keep at it. Looking for some company... :D

http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=userwiki:start

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:33 am
neilk offline

Hi,
I am happy to help as well.
Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 pm
mat offline

I'll have a think what I can do over the next two weeks, then have two weeks to contribute if family time allows

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:02 am
turtle offline

I'm not familiar with DokuWiki and I did not see this feature on their features page, however, the wikis I've used all had a "Comment" feature that enable any registered user to comment on any page. I've seen many pages that appear to be out of date (Feb 2015 - "... this feature might be in Indigo 7"). I'd like just to be able to easily draw attention to pages that might need updating, leaving the updates to the experts. Such a feature would make all of us proof-readers and the pages that need the most attention would probably be getting the most "comments".