Temperature monitoring advice

Posted on
Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm
mundmc offline

Temperature monitoring advice

Hey brain trust,

I'm wondering what people use for monitoring temperature in various rooms of their home (and possibly outside).

I previously used a hacky way, IOBridge with temp/humidity sensor, and a script run from Indigo that grabbed and parsed the XML from a web site. It was laborious, and I would prefer not to re-learn how I did that.

I'm looking for inexpensive, ideally wireless, and dependable (hopefully integrated with Indigo/ Insteon).

Options I've seen so far:
1-wire: PRO: cheap CON: requires new adapter (RFXCOM), I believe updating other stuff on my server, um, wires
Netatmo: PRO: wireless, web interface independent of Indigo (spouse friendly), expandable, multiple sensors CON: not cheap, beta plugin made by a gracious user whom I assume has a life and should not be relied upon forever for functionality (berkinet, I believe, though Netatmo functionality is sweet and I appreciate the contribution that I might wind up using)
AeonTech Multi-sensor: PRO: cool multi-sensor CON: seems like a lot of people have had reliability issues with the hardware

So what are people using?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:20 am
Gusten offline

Re: Temperature monitoring advice

Hi i am using RFXrtx USB and the rfxcom plugi. Then i use simpel 433mhz temperatur transmitter. This is very costeffectiv. There are many different devices to use and its working realy well

/Martin

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:43 am
jalves offline

I rely on the Aeon multi-sensors. Got 5 of them on my system and will add more once the new version is supported by Indigo.

Have found them mostly reliable except for a couple that seem to get dropped regularly while the house is being cleaned. I really should have mounted them more securely. :(

These are often in a place where I also want to monitor movement and/or light levels for various other Indigo triggers so the "multi" part comes in very handy.

In addition, I've got a couple of remote temperature sensors that exist to support desk top devices (think atomic clocks and stand alone weather stations) that I also monitor through the RFX plugin. Those (Oregon Scientific) work just fine.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm
SHKnapp offline

Sen.se mother with the mother plugin to get data into indigo
It's my new fav HA toy... once you get past the creepy Russian nesting doll hub. It's $150 from their site and they are running a promotional 10% off code "MagicMother" because of a big IFTTT upgrade they implemented. That $150 gets you 4 motion cookies so youd get temps for 4 locations... but the cookies can do more then just temp.

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 pm
kw123 offline

i am using

1. oregon Scientific through RFXcom
2. Mother with cookies (also some are in the bed where I can measure temp and how well I sleep (movements)
3. no with rPi I have 13 more with all kinds of sensors (DHT, OneWire, a lot of i2c sensors they measure temp/humidity/pressure ) inside and outside and on my electronic equipment ..
as well as Light and proximity / movement sensors
4. in the pool I use oregon scientific, but they don't sell that one anymore (I bought the last one on eBay as backup)

I really know what the temperature right now is. :D

Karl
Last edited by kw123 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:00 am
mundmc offline

All advice appreciated.

I've decided to jump on the ESP8266 wagon, with the Sparkfun Thing. It was pretty easy to get up and running (at least, way easier than generic esp-01 boards, based on my reading up on the subject. Now I plan to add a DHT-22 sensor, and see if I can make the Thing run on battery for an extended period of time. In another post, i'll be asking how to make digest requests in C using the Arduino IDE.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:36 am
ckeyes888 offline

I use an Oregon Scientific weather station thru WeatherSnoop and OS remote temp sensors.
Has worked beautifully for many years.

Carl

Page 1 of 1