My Provider switched me to IPV6- how to get reconnected?

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 am
six50joe offline

My Provider switched me to IPV6- how to get reconnected?

Last week, I suddenly was no longer able to connect to Indigo or other devices in my vacation home. On my Time Warner account page, it showed the modem as being connected.

I called them up to get my modem's IP so I could try to connect with it instead of my domain address, as in the past my DNS updater has failed. They gave me an IPV6 address,, which is what the rep said I was switched over to from IPV4..

I realize that my issue is not related to Indigo per se, but given that my remote monitoring will not work until I resolve it, I was hoping someone else here might be able to advise on a quick or temporary solution I can implement while I educate myself on IPV6, which I know almost nothing about right now. At the moment, I have no way of determining the health of my Indigo setup at all since I'm not at the location. If your Indigo server has an IPV6 address and you access it remotely, I sure would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 pm
jfeger offline

Re: My Provider switched me to IPV6- how to get reconnected?

They didn't provide an IPv4 and IPv6 connection? Im a little surprised if they simply shutoff the IPv4 connectivity. Have you tried going to a site like : http://ipv6-test.com and looking to see what type of connectivity you have? If they did "dual stack", you should have connectivity with both IPv4 and IPv6. If this is the case, you should still be able to reach your home via the public IPv4 address. Its possible the modem settings need to be verified and or changed to make this work after they pushed the IPv6 config. If you ONLY have IPv6 connectivity, which would be interesting, then you need to look into something like an IPv4 tunnel over IPv6.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 am
six50joe offline

@jfeger , thanks. I unfortunately won't be able to physically get to the home for another 3 weeks, I'll have to try it when I get there. The only thing I can confirm is that the IPV4 address I was using no longer connects, and my dyndns domain name hasn't been updated from the computer there since the IPV6 switch happened. I'm not sure if this means that the mac there isn't connecting to the internet, or that dyndns.org isn't compatible with the change.

I was hoping I'd at least be able to log into my modem remotely, which had worked over IPV4 but it doesn't seem to work with the IPV6 address TWC gave me. When I log into my TWC account it indicates the modem is connected.

I tried chrome with the URL: http://[ (IPV6 address ) ]:(http port number) but doesn't connect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:43 pm
jfeger offline

Interesting. Its quite possible the "upgrade" they did for you didnt go as well as it should have. Maybe a simple reboot when you get there clears some of the issues. Modems are tricky things when you do upgrades remotely, like they do.

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:58 am
six50joe offline

Over the weekend, I finally got to my vacation home. To get things working again, all it really needed was a power cycle of modem, router (Airport Extreme) and Mac Mini. I did enable IPV6 on the AEBS before power cycling.

Here's my concern though, being new to IPV6. After the reboot, the mac updated my domain name at dyndns.org, but with an IPV4 address. This address does route correctly (Indigo touch works over cellular),, presumably because while Time Warner is rolling out IPV6, they are, for now, providing a dual stack. If on the Mac Mini I check my IP address using whatismyip.com, it shows me an IPV6 address. I haven't been able to connect to Indigo using it. I'm hoping it's because I'm not entering the address correctly. I've tried it in Indigo Touch as just the 128 bit IPV6 address, and also within square brackets [<IPV6 Address>]. Anyone have an idea what's wrong? At some point TWC will be dropping IPV4 and I'm worried I'll be left in the dark when that happens.

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't have to worry about IPv4 being turned off anytime soon (like, say the next 5 years). There's just way too many things out there that still only support it.

We have done no testing with IPv6 on any of our software or services, so it's likely that it doesn't work fully (if at all).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:12 am
six50joe offline

Thanks Jay, I can live with the idea that it will be a long time before ISPs deprecate IPV4, assuming that support for IPV6 will come along before that happens.

Page 1 of 1