The front door is ajar warning

Posted on
Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:37 am
Shutter offline

The front door is ajar warning

I'm looking to set up a verbal notification when the front door has been left open for x seconds, to repeat if it hasn't been closed, and to end once it has. I'm currently using a wireless DSC door sensor and the DSC Alarm plugin to monitor the state of the door. That side of things is working just fine and receive a push notification when the door is opened. I realise I can also set u a push notification once it's closed, but would rather have a nearby speaker issue a verbal warning when the door has not been closed after x seconds.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this? I've created some steps myself using a timer, first time for me using a timer, but wondering if there's a better way to do this? Perhaps with Variables, nested Conditions?

What I've created so far. (Doing this from work so remains untested so far).

DEVICES
Type: Timers and Pesters
Model: Timer

Settings
Name: Front Door Open Timer
Configure Timer
Initial amount: 1
Amount type: Minutes

TRIGGERS
Name: Front Door Open Trigger

Trigger
Type: Device State Changed
Device: Alarm_Front Door
Zone State Changed to Open
Becomes True

Actions
Type: Start Timer (Timer Controls)
Device: Front Door Open Timer

TRIGGERS
Namer: Front Door Open Speak
Trigger
Type: Timers and Pesters Event
Event: Timer Expired
Edit Event Settings…
Timer: Front Door Open Timer

Actions
Speak: The front door is ajar. The front door is ajar.

TRIGGERS
Name: Front Door Closed Stop Timer
Trigger
Type: Device State Changed
Device: Alarm_Front Door
Zone State Changed to Closed
Becomes True

Actions
Type: Stop Time (Timer Controls)

TRIGGERS
Name: Front Door Open Restart Timer

Trigger
Typer: Timers and Pesters Event
Event: Timer Expired
Edit Event Settings…
Timer: Front Door Open Timer

Conditions
If conditions match rules:
"Any" "of the following rules are true"
"If device" "Alarm_Front Door" "State is Open (true or false)" "is true"

Actions
Type: Restart Timer (Timer Controls)

Posted on
Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:50 am
autolog offline

Re: The front door is ajar warning

I have done something similar for my Garage door.
I have a schedule that runs every 10 minutes to warn that the garage door is open.
I enable the schedule when the garage door is opened and disable it when it is closed.

The only downside is that you will get a warning every 10 minutes but the first warning can be anything from straight away to 10 minutes as the schedule runs on a 10 minute cycle from a specific time - not when the garage door was opened. so if the schedule starts on the hour and then every 10 minutes, if I opened the garage door at 8 minutes past the hour, the first warning would occur in two minutes time. :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:45 am
Vangelis offline

I have similar using pretty much the same logic - Think you can use Pesters to repeat the warning or via Schedules. You might want to increase the volume and include more audio zones on consecutive announcements if localised :)

Vangelis

Posted on
Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:33 pm
Shutter offline

Interesting ideas. I've since also added a push notification as well - we're never that far from our phones. Love how I'm still scratching the surface of Indigo.

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:54 am
durosity offline

I do this with a small Python script that starts a delayed action as soon as the door sensor is opened, then another one to clear delayed items for that device. Also means I get the prescribed 15 mins warning exactly after that time rather as per autologs schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 am
Shutter offline

I figured there would be a way to do exactly this using a Python script, but being a non-coder I needed to do this using stock Indigo. Been testing over the last couple of days and the method I've described works perfectly for me. Just added a Pushover notification and set of the other half's phone to also receive them.

My only wish is for Indigo to expose dependencies, in a tab perhaps. Like many others, I'm sure, their Devices, Triggers, Schedules, Action Groups, and Control Pages is getting rather long with items. And ones memory isn't what it used to be. :?

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:10 pm
durosity offline

Shutter wrote:
My only wish is for Indigo to expose dependencies, in a tab perhaps. Like many others, I'm sure, their Devices, Triggers, Schedules, Action Groups, and Control Pages is getting rather long with items. And ones memory isn't what it used to be. :?

Yeah i know exactly what you mean, at current count i have about 200 active devices (not to mention placeholders), about 100 different triggers many of which use mini python scripts (used to group multiple triggers together), 50ish control pages (screen shots coming soon for my latest revisions :) and i'm going to guess somewhere around 500-700 action groups (many of them being IR codes for all the different AV devices in the house) so every time i want to delete/modify something and replace it (like i just did with a couple of Z-wave dual relays) i end up spending hours trying to correct all of their dependancies.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Shutter wrote:

Done. Right click the object (device, etc) and select Show Dependencies from the popup menu.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:12 pm
Shutter offline

I'm familiar with that option, which is why I suggested a tab, so one could readily see the dependencies and jump to them easily.

Personally I would like to see something like a node tree, but that's from experience using some graphics software in the past.

jay (support) wrote:
Done. Right click the object (device, etc) and select Show Dependencies from the popup menu.

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, clicking on a tab is easier than right clicking on the object? :?:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:13 am
Shutter offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, clicking on a tab is easier than right clicking on the object? :?:

Absolutely :!:

Having dependencies displayed right where they would be of most use, when editing a bunch of items. Also acts as a reminder that an item has dependencies, via a tab that exposes them.

Now I'm not saying a tab is the best solution, but there are usability issues when an option is only available via a contextual menu. As I said before, I personally would like to see a tree node to see the relationships one item has with another.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:44 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Although it is faster/easier to get to a tab, we have to be careful about what we expose in the main dialog UI. There is an information overload factor when you have too much UI or too many options directly shown. I'm not sure that dependency views/trees rank high enough to get its own tab (or other less transient) UI option. We automatically show the dependencies when they are most needed I believe, which is when the user is trying to delete something that has a dependency.

Page 1 of 1