[ANSWERED]: Forum comments

Posted on
Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 pm
howartp offline

[ANSWERED]: Forum comments

Just a couple of things I've noticed tonight:

1) Is it a conscious decision not to allow PDF attachments to posts? I just had to turn a PDF into three single photos and post them - then shrink them down from huge and reattach them.
2) When you add photos, it displays them in reverse order, so they don't make sense if you've said "The first picture is.... then the second is.....". Is this changeable/fixable?

Peter

Posted on
Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Forum comments

Hi Peter,

1) PDFs are a bit less safe from a security exploit perspective than image files. But if there is enough demand (anyone else?) that thinks PDFs would be useful we'll consider enabling them. I thought there was another reason we didn't enable them, but I cannot remember what that was (Friday effect).

2) Sounds like a bug. We'll search the phpBB forum and see if anyone has a fix.

Posted on
Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:38 am
howartp offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Forum comments

matt (support) wrote:
Hi Peter,

1) PDFs are a bit less safe from a security exploit perspective than image files. But if there is enough demand (anyone else?) that thinks PDFs would be useful we'll consider enabling them. I thought there was another reason we didn't enable them, but I cannot remember what that was (Friday effect).

2) Sounds like a bug. We'll search the phpBB forum and see if anyone has a fix.

PDFs are less safe...? Working in IT, I don't think I've come across a situation where PDFs are scriptable/executable/macroable? I'd be open to hearing of examples - PM if you'd prefer - because I currently treat them as completely safe in this regard.

Thanks for looking at image bug.

Peter

Posted on
Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:46 am
howartp offline

Gulp, I retract my comments!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362356,00.asp

I need to review my security policies!

Posted on
Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

File size is the other reason. I don't believe our forums software allows us to set a file size limit and as you know PDF files can be very large.

You can explicitly put attachments inline thus allowing you to order them any way you want.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1