Weather and News Headlines in Touch

Posted on
Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 pm
mark_anderson_us offline

Weather and News Headlines in Touch

Hi All

trying to convert from HomeSeer. On my home page in HSTouch, I had news headlines (US and International and 7 day weather). I can;t find a way to get this on a control page. Am i missing something?

More generally, I'd like the ability to display any RSS data

Regards

Mark

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Weather and News Headlines in Touch

You'll want to create a control on the Control Page that shows a variable value, then you'll set that variable's value to the headline, etc. As to how you get the RSS data into a variable value, I'm not sure. I'm sure it could be done via a python script, but I don't recall anyone doing this before.

The other gotcha is that variable values can currently only be a single line. So if you want to show multiple lines you have to use multiple controls, each showing a different variable value, then your script has to break up the lines and put each line into its own Indigo variable value.

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:38 am
FlyingDiver offline

Matt - can you clarify that? My experience is that variables can contain strings with multi-line text, but that when displayed on a control page you'll only get one line. When I use variables that contain multi-line text in a script, it works fine (creating an email message, for instance). So the restriction isn't really on the variable, but the control page display of the variable.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:11 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is correct. The limitation is in how the control page renders it.

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 am
mark_anderson_us offline

Matt

Just getting started with control pages. The designer is very limited and this one line per item is a surprise

I don't recall the last time I used and kind of designer that didn't have basic align and distribute tools. Am I missing something? If not, are there plans to improve things?

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We have lots of control page editor feature requests on the list.

Page 1 of 1