[ANSWERED]garage doors

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 9:57 pm
bworby offline

[ANSWERED]garage doors

There are a lot of new garage doors that are being made like : http://www.craftsman.com/garage-door/da ... 0000180763

is there any list of garage doors that work with indigo? do any that are already smart doors? I have been looking a lot to try to avoid any duplicate posts but I found nothing.

thanks
B

Posted on
Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 am
Swancoat offline

Re: garage doors

No idea how this would interface with Indigo, but it looks to be another cloud-based service that's going to require it's own app, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have my garage doors connected using the Insteon Garage door kit. Honestly, I can't believe how well it works. Almost all door openers can be activated with contact closures, so you just wire that to the I/O linc that's included. You plug it in to the same outlet that your garage door is plugged into, so it doesn't even require a long run of wire. As far as open/close status goes, the kit also includes a proximity sensor. You install the sensor to the floor or wall or something and wire it to the I/O linc, and then a magnet attaches to the door, and when it gets close it knows it's closed. One tip, I installed all of mine on the floor, because that seemed logical, but have since seen people install the sensor at the TOP of the garage door, which seems infinitely smarter (less obstrusive, less wiring, etc...).

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 am
bworby offline

Great info thanks! this may be the route i go. I just am in the position where I have to buy 2 new doors openers the while shibang. Thought it would make sense to get one ready to go if that existed.

thanks again!

Posted on
Thu May 29, 2014 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The supported devices list shows devices that Indigo supports. No garage doors directly, but as @Swancoat points out the INSTEON garage door kit works really well.

I believe there is a Zwave device that's similar but I don't have a reference to it at the moment.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm
NicholFD offline

Re: [ANSWERED]garage doors

I just purchased: http://www.lowes.com/pd_589237-78427-GD-00Z-1_0__?Ntt=iris+garage+door+controller&UserSearch=iris+garage+door+controller&productId=50213045&rpp=48

It's an "Iris Z-Wave Garage Door Controller" & open/closed indicator for $99, from Lowes. I haven't added it to Indigo yet, to see how it appears/works...

Posted on
Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Let us know if that one works. Once you define/sync it with Indigo be sure and submit the device profile for it (via the Device dialog). Please fill in the information on the Web form, especially the model number and manufacture name.

Posted on
Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 pm
kw123 offline

I have 2 sensors attached: one at fully open and one at fully closed. In total there are the following states - binary only would allow 4 different states, but with time included ..:

1. Open: sensor 1 closed, sensor 2 open
2. Closing: sensor 1 open, sensor 2 open, after sensor 1 was closed
3. Closed: sensor 1 open, sensor 2 closed
4. Opening: sensor 1 open, sensor 2 open, after sensor 2 was closed.
5. Stuck: in state closing or opening for > 15 seconds.
6. Undefined: sensor 1 closed , sensor 2 closed = sensor error, door can't be open AND closed

If anyone is interested in the little script to define the states, I can share.
This setup helps to see if the door is stuck, if the command actually gets executed, if its fully open or fully closed, etc
On the control page the state is indicated with a simple button with different colors and text on top of it. The same button also does the open/close action.

Karl

Posted on
Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm
NicholFD offline

garage doors

matt (support) wrote:
Let us know if that one works. Once you define/sync it with Indigo be sure and submit the device profile for it (via the Device dialog). Please fill in the information on the Web form, especially the model number and manufacture name.

I just sync'd the Iris Garage Door Controller with Indigo. It synced as an "Entry Controller". I submitted the device profile via the Device dialog. Indigo doesn't allow me to do anything with it. It should report the door status of open or close, and the battery level of the tilt/open/close sensor.

Since it's an "Entry Controller", might it require encryption like a door lock? If that was the case, would it still sync with Indigo? I'm going to remove it from Indigo and add it to the MyCassaVerda Light, that I use for my door locks. I'll report what I find (may be a few days - about to travel).

Posted on
Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:04 pm
Sharek326 offline

I just installed the Iris Garage Door from Lowes. As mentioned above it installed as Entry Device with this in the Log

Aug 24, 2014, 5:54:35 PM
Z-Wave Syncing - started for device "022 - Entry Control"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 1, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Z-Wave Syncing - requesting neighbor list update of "022 - Entry Control"
Z-Wave Syncing - neighbor list updated from 1, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 to 1, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "022 - Entry Control"
Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Unknown - 014F, Entry Control - 47443030
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Entry Control : -- (04 : 40 : 07, base 00)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 98v1 72v1
Z-Wave Syncing - created device "022 - Entry Control"
Z-Wave Syncing - complete

Is there a way to make this work?

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 am
NicholFD offline

I toyed with this on my Vera Light this weekend. From what I saw, I believe it uses security like a door deadbolt. I didn't get it working with Vera yet - range issue. I have a repeater to add to Vera and then I expect it to sync ok.

If I'm correct about it using security, then Indigo would be a no go. The cost to buy into the Z-Wave security stuff is too expensive for the Indigo developers. Look for the thread about deadbolts, etc.

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:41 am
Ramias offline

I can speak to this, having just come over from Vera.

There is a Vera plugin for the Chamberlain/Liftmaster (same company) MyQ smart garage door service. The Vera plugin represents the device as a lock ("on" means "locked" aka door close). But it's not a Z-Wave lock. So the Z-Wave security shouldn't be an issue,

The plugin was buggy at first but pretty good now. It logs in to the mychamberlain.com website using the user's credentials, and updates garage door status. I can open/close from the plugin.

I just got this working with the Indigo-Vera bridge. So from Indigo I can open/close my garage by the Vera connection.

The code for the Vera plugin is public. It should be doable for somebody to make a native Indigo plugin to interact with the Chamberlain web site similar to how Nest works today.

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:51 am
NicholFD offline

So, the "Chamberlain/Liftmaster" requires an online service? The plug-in talks to the service like Nest? If so, that's a no go for me and the Lowes garage door opener. :(

Besides, I don't want an external company involved in my doors or locks...

@ Indigo Dev's -> It sounds like this might not be a "security device". Any chance on getting the version from Lowes (linked above) working with Indigo?

Thanks,
Frank

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:55 pm
CelticWebs offline

Did anything happen with this? I'm deciding what to use to start my automated home. I have bought no hardware or software yet other than my garage is liftmaster MyQ. I'd certainly be interested in a system that can add the MyQ controller into its devices. Even if it is via a third party plugin.

Posted on
Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:08 pm
bighop offline

I found this YouTube tutorial. You purchase another garage door opener (I have a newer Sears model) set up one of the buttons, and then solder the I/0 wires to the board with the button. You can then trigger the remote. I did it last week, took only a few minutes and it works just fine.

Video: https://youtu.be/NBCdo0kANuM

Form Thread where I have a. few pics of how mine came out. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15194

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:22 am
bigrage offline

bighop wrote:
I found this YouTube tutorial. You purchase another garage door opener (I have a newer Sears model) set up one of the buttons, and then solder the I/0 wires to the board with the button. You can then trigger the remote. I did it last week, took only a few minutes and it works just fine.

Video: https://youtu.be/NBCdo0kANuM

Form Thread where I have a. few pics of how mine came out. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15194

Thanks for help!! :shock:

Page 1 of 1