‘Failed to connect to Indigo Server. '

Posted on
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 pm
jasonw75 offline

‘Failed to connect to Indigo Server. '

Hi. I’ve had a problem over several versions and several years in which very often if I upgrade the OS, or simply reboot the Mac, instead of seeing my device list, etc., I get the following dialog:

Server Connection Status - ‘Establishing Connection with Indigo Server…’

This is followed by ‘Failed to connect to Indigo Server. The Indigo Server is either unreachable over the network or is not running.’

I’m not running Indigo Server on another device - it’s local. And, it’s clearly running, as shown in the activity monitor (see attached)

If I click ‘Start Local Server’ in the Server Connection Status dialog (which doesn’t make sense, as it’s clearly running), the only options are ‘Cancel’, or ’Stop Server’ (which implies it’s running, thereby contradicting the previous dialog). Repeated attempts to quit and relaunch, or reboot, or unplug and reconnect the 2413U Insteon PowerLinc Modem yield the same results. In the past, I haven’t been able to figure out what makes the difference and ultimately allows Indigo to launch normally.

Note: I’ve never had a software firewall running.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 9.05.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 9.05.39 PM.png (80.46 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:19 am
jasonw75 offline

Re: ‘Failed to connect to Indigo Server. '

I managed to fix the situation, but I do not understand why this worked, and I think this may have also worked in the past, at least sometimes.

I quit Indigo, compressed my database, deleted the original (to prevent Indigo from opening it) and relaunched Indigo. It launched a default database as hoped, and prompted me to create or select a database. While that dialog was open, I uncompressed my database and then selected it from that dialog. It took a moment, but Indigo opened it.

This suggests that there's potentially a problem with my database. If that's true, then I need a way to rebuild the database, as having to recreate it from scratch would be an absolute nightmare.

Any ideas? Is there a utility that could examine my db for corruption? Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: ‘Failed to connect to Indigo Server. '

I don't think anything is wrong with your database file (or it would never load).

The problem you describe happens when someone adds the Indigo client application as a startup user item to their system settings. We don't recommend doing that. Instead you should just start up the Indigo Server and that should be done via the option in the Indigo->Start Local Server dialog. I believe you already have that set. Only the Indigo Server needs to be auto launched on login. The client can then be launched the first time you need access to the UI. The issue is if you add the client as a startup item then the macOS can try to start up the client at almost the exact same time the Indigo Server is auto-starting (but before it has finished starting). The result is the client doesn't initially connect to the server (even though the server is running fine).

Page 1 of 1