Device Usage Report IWS Plugin

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Device Usage Report IWS Plugin

kpfriedberg wrote:
...true, but how often does it update? it doesn't poll hourly or something?
It doesn't poll, it is updated by Indigo as a device's status changes. Also, the on-time for a device must be > 1 minute. You should be seeing some entries fairly soon after installation - IF something gets turned on :wink:
Last edited by berkinet on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm
kpfriedberg offline

right, i specifically have turned on some devices, did a couple minutes ago when i read your post...its still blank. Does the device then have to be turned off to to complete the cycle for it to show up?

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm
eme jota ce offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
jay wrote:
That probably means you didn't turn on sql logging until today...

true, but how often does it update? it doesn't poll hourly or something?

kpfriedberg,

I had the exact same startup problems as you (see earlier in thread): extra folder, lower case in the URL, and enabling sql logging for the first time on the day I installed this plugin.

The usagereporter has been running smoothly since day two (meaning since the day after I enabled sql logging) Also, see berkinet's midnight applescript, supra.

Until someone with computer talent and knowledge offers something much better, I've been pulling the reports into a Numbers spreadsheet. Although rather tedious to manually import each day's report, then apply a filter to remove motion detectors and other devices, the cumulative data is very interesting and useful to me.

The spreadsheet includes a table with the actual, maximum wattage of each device along with my estimates of each device's typical (i.e. dimmed) wattage the reports include projected yearly costs to run each device / light. (The spreadsheet calculates actual kWh's used, then projects to 30 days and 1 year using my current electric rate). It's starting to show clear trends of usage, allowing me to identify high priority areas where I can cut electricity usage along with best solutions based upon location and usage patterns: (1) changing to CFL or LED, (2) adding auto-off triggers, or (3) changing default brightness levels.

mjc

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm
kpfriedberg offline

You and I think alike...i am hoping to do something similar, to be able to track light by light usage and make trigger/time adjustments to Indigo accordingly. If you don't mind and are willing, could you share your spreadsheet with me? I will leave this be until tomorrow and then i'll check it again. (Also good to know i'm not the only one with the folder and lowercase problems :D ).

I am now able to do this with my solar installation, whereby i can track daily production and total household usage...when combined with the output from this tool, i think it will be a very powerful means to further reduce our electrical usage and am excited to see the results. While I have been able to specifically track the impact of our solar generation in terms of total electricity used, i haven't been able to quantify the Indigo/Insteon benefit, and hopefully now i will.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

kpfriedberg wrote:
I am now able to do this with my solar installation

Off topic, but I'm curious -- were you able to get INSTEON working with your solar inverters okay?

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm
kpfriedberg offline

support wrote:
kpfriedberg wrote:
I am now able to do this with my solar installation

Off topic, but I'm curious -- were you able to get INSTEON working with your solar inverters okay?

Not a problem at all, i saw no difference in device failings before or after installation. The power generated is very 'clean'. I had all sorts of guys come out and test what kind of 'noise' was coming off the inverter, turned out almost none.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 pm
eme jota ce offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
... If you don't mind and are willing, could you share your spreadsheet with me?

Sure. Just remember ... I described the process as "tedious". :?

I'll send you a PM

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It logs immediately. By default, the page selects yesterday since that's the last full day of data - so you're probably looking at yesterday rather than today.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm
kpfriedberg offline

Doh! So I am. :oops:

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm
kpfriedberg offline

I am trying to exclude motion sensors and secondary and tertiary switches (each of which have 'motion' and '2' or '3' in their respective names). I used the text editor to create the file "usageReporter-filter_pattern.conf" which contains the following text..

.*Motion.*|.*2.*|.*3.*

but when i go back to the reporter, devices like "Motion Sensor - Playroom" are still there...

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:53 pm
berkinet offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
I am trying to exclude motion sensors and secondary and tertiary switches (each of which have 'motion' and '2' or '3' in their respective names). I used the text editor to create the file "usageReporter-filter_pattern.conf" which contains the following text..

.*Motion.*|.*2.*|.*3.*

but when i go back to the reporter, devices like "Motion Sensor - Playroom" are still there...
Do you see the checkbox labeled Filter devices based on your pattern file, on the web form, and is it checked?

The pattern you wrote should exclude a) any device with the string "Motion" or which contains a 2 or a 3. I think what you want is:
.*Motion.*[23].*

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 pm
kpfriedberg offline

berkinet wrote:
The pattern you wrote should exclude a) any device with the string "Motion" or which contains a 2 or a 3.

That's exactly what i want i believe as for example, my motion sensors are named:

Motion Sensor - Playroom
Motion Sensor - Kitchen
etc

and i name my secondary and tertiary switches as:

Hallway Light 2
Hallway Light 3

I did try your version but to no avail....interestingly when i uncheck the filter box and get the report, it checks it again, i guess that's the default?

here is a pic of the location and name of file just to be sure i'm doing it right

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm
berkinet offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
...That's exactly what i want i believe...
Sorry, your earlier post said each of which have 'motion' and '2' or '3'

If you see the checkbox, then the usageReporter has found the pattern file. You are correct, if a pattern file exists, the default is to use it.

If you used TextEdit to create the pattern file, make sure it was saved as plain text. Format -> Make Plain Text

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:35 pm
kpfriedberg offline

that was the problem, it was rich text...works perfect...this is really going to be very useful information. thanks to you and Jay for putting this together.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm
kpfriedberg offline

Guys, this is really great, can i submit a request? Rather than each output file be a daily file, and since i believe the data is just stored in a SQL database, could the output file simply be one big output file that has the devices listed across row one, with their daily minutes on be each subsequent row? this should provide enough columns for devices and more than enough for multiple years of data...this type of output file would be much easier to use for purposes of analyzing usage and I am guessing would be too difficult :D

so the output csv file when opened would look something like this....