Updated iCal Alarm Processor script

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Updated iCal Alarm Processor script

All,

A new version of the iCal Alarm Processor script is available in the file library, and is described in the iCal How-To wiki page. The major new feature is the optional ability to process directives to Indigo that you insert into the iCal Note field. If your insert formatted text that looks something like this:

Code: Select all
[Set Variable]
varname1goeshere=variable 1 value here
varname2goeshere=variable 2 value here

[Execute Actions]
group=Action Group 1 Name here
tdaction=Time/Date Action Name here
trigger=Trigger Name here

iCal will include that in the Alarm Email that it sends. The script will then instruct Indigo to perform those actions.

For those that are security conscious, you can enable/disable the Set Variable directive and the Execute Actions directive separately in the script since it's likely that performing random actions might cause more problems than setting a variable, but perhaps not. This IS potentially dangerous if someone knows your setup well enough: you've been warned.

So, why would you want to do this? I have this constant problem: I have a variable, houseMode, that represents various states of my house. One of the valid values is "company", which causes normalization of HVAC settings, hot water recirculation, voice reminders, etc. I want guests to be comfortable. I always put arrival and departure events on my iCal calendar, but often forget to set the houseMode variable. Now, I can have the houseMode set directly from within the iCal event. It's a cheap way of adding a custom alert to iCal (which you can't do like you can with Address Book, or we would definitely have an Indigo plug-in for iCal).

I'm sure you guys can come up with many more even better ideas. Let me know what you think by commenting in this thread. Have fun!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 am
cuhouse offline

Re: Updated iCal Alarm Processor script

Jay,

Great project! The wiki intructions were excellent. Love when you guys do instructions like this. Great for dummies like me :)

I found one minor error in the script in the following line...
[code]--set read status of theMessage to true/code]

I removed the "--" so it would mark the message as read, otherwise, it just keeps reading the first message in the inbox.

Thanks,
Jody

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Updated iCal Alarm Processor script

Doh. Yep, that line definitely shouldn't be commented out. I'll get it fixed - thanks for the heads up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1