Indigo-PhoneValet Integration

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

As for the Uninstall - simply delete any variables that are prefixed with "PhoneValet" and remove the 2 scripts that are in the Indigo Scripts folder.

jay

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 pm
Skiddy offline

(No subject)

jay wrote:
The last time I checked, Home Edition hadn't been updated to include the new required AppleScript functionality. I'd send Parilant support an email asking when Home will be updated.

They did tell me back during testing that Home Edition would have the same AppleScript functionality that Message Center has, but you'll need to verify with them.

jay

EDIT - I just checked the Parilant website and the Home Edition hasn't been updated since February - so it definitely doesn't have the new AppleScript support. They released Message Center 5.4.2 this month with the required additions.

That's strange as the version I have definitely has the Applescript functionality available to it. Check out this page from their site http://www.phonevalet.com/home/specs.html I have version 1.1.1

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

No, they made some significant additions to the AppleScript support to enable the scripting which is needed for this integration. This new functionality was released first in Message Center just a couple of weeks ago. As I said, if you look at the date of the 1.1.1 download it's February.

jay

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:22 pm
Skiddy offline

(No subject)

OK, thanks. I can hold off for now. I'm really just validating the usefulness of PhoneValet as an Answer Phone/ Message Center for the house. The Indigo integration would have been added value. It looks OK so far but there's just some UI features I would have expected OOTB that aren't there yet.

Thanks for the input! :D

Posted on
Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:14 pm
dnomode offline

Error

Hello,

I'm getting errors in my log file after I execute the new messages trigger. I copied the log text below. Any ideas? I'm running Indigo 4b1 PhoneValet 5.4.2 and OS 10.5.6

Thank You
Ed

Code: Select all
  Trigger Action     PhoneValet - Start Voicemail
  Action Group       PhoneValet - Start Voicemail
  Trigger Action     PhoneValet - New Messages
  Action Group       PhoneValet - New Messages
  Error              script error: in file "PhoneValet Attachments.scpt"
  Error              script error: The variable theCallerName is not defined. (-2753)
  Error              error dispatching event to attachment script (-1753)
  Error              script error: The variable theCallerName is not defined. (-1708)

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:22 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hmmm - it looks like one of the phonevalet audio files doesn't have the right data in the file's comments (that's set by the script you install in PhoneValet). Make sure that the PhoneValet scripts are installed correctly (follow that part of the install instructions again).

Also, in the PhoneValet Attachments.scpt, change this:

on listenToMessages(newSaved)
    try

to

set theCallerName to ""
    try

That may work around the problem. I think, though, that if you just go into PhoneValet and mark your messages read it will also solve the problem file.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

I double checked the locations copied the scripts to those locations again, replacing the old files, just in case the files became corrupt. The instruction tell us to go into Indigo 2 but Im going into Indigo 4. Everything is in the correct location. As for the PhoneValet Attachment script, The line you are asking me to edit looks different then yours

-- Handler to select either new messages or saved messages and to start the message playing
--
   tell application "IndigoServer"
      if (newSaved = "new") then
         set callListString to (value of variable pvNewCallListVarName)
         if (callListString ≠ "") then
            set enabled of time date action pvTimeDateActionTimeoutName to false
            set currentCallTree to newSaved
            set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ":"
            set callList to text items of callListString
            set currentCall to item 1 of callList

If I try to edit the code like your example I get an Syntax Error: Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier.

-- Handler to select either new messages or saved messages and to start the message playing
--
    set theCallerName to ""
    try
   tell application "IndigoServer"
      if (newSaved = "new") then
         set callListString to (value of variable pvNewCallListVarName)
         if (callListString ≠ "") then
            set enabled of time date action pvTimeDateActionTimeoutName to false
            set currentCallTree to newSaved
            set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ":"
            set callList to text items of callListString
            set currentCall to item 1 of callList

Im still having the same problem
How do you mark messages read in phonevalet?

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Sorry, leave out the line that says "try". I'll try to get an update out in the next couple of days that has some better error handling around ill mannered files. I have to admit, I haven't done any specific testing with the 4.0 beta yet, although it's been running for about 3 weeks at my house and I haven't found any specific errors.

To mark a message read in PhoneValet, just select the new message and either listen to them or, on the "Call" menu, select "Mark Call As" and on the submenu select "Normal".

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Cool that worked, However since I recopied all the scripts to the locations per instructions the ping no longer plays. The PhoneValet_shouldPlaySoundAlert variable is set to True.

Also when the machine says I have a phone call from "name of caller" it gives no name, it just skips to the date and time of the call. Why, PhoneValet knows who called?

Also how do I have the machine pause for a second between the date and time of the call?

And how can I setup the machine to only give me the time of the call without the seconds?

Sorry for all the questions, But this is a really cool feature and I'd like to set it up so it sounds good.

Thank you, great job.

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

dnomode wrote:
Cool that worked, However since I recopied all the scripts to the locations per instructions the ping no longer plays. The PhoneValet_shouldPlaySoundAlert variable is set to True.

Is the PhoneValet background script running? That's what causes the ping sound to play. Also, what is the value of the variable named "PhoneValet_NewCallCount"? If it's 0 and you know you have new messages, then one of the scripts isn't running correctly, probably the background script.

dnomode wrote:
Also when the machine says I have a phone call from "name of caller" it gives no name, it just skips to the date and time of the call. Why, PhoneValet knows who called?

Again, this is symptomatic of some part of the system not running correctly. Reinstall all the pieces in the various places. You might also want to restart you machine to make sure something else isn't interfering with operation.

dnomode wrote:
Also how do I have the machine pause for a second between the date and time of the call?

That's gonna require some extra coding. Find the line where thePrefixString is set and that's where you'd need to make your changes.

dnomode wrote:
And how can I setup the machine to only give me the time of the call without the seconds?

That one bugs me also - I'm using standard AppleScript dates, which include seconds. At some point I'll probably fix that, but I'm a little busy with the beta at the moment.

[quote="dnomode"]Sorry for all the questions, But this is a really cool feature and I'd like to set it up so it sounds good./quote]

One of the great things about Indigo is user's ability to extend it via AppleScript. This particular solution is rather complex with lots of moving parts (no way around it unfortunately), but it does illustrate what creative thinking can get you!

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:41 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Is the PhoneValet background script running? That's what causes the ping sound to play. Also, what is the value of the variable named "PhoneValet_NewCallCount"? If it's 0 and you know you have new messages, then one of the scripts isn't running correctly, probably the background script.

Yes its running and the NewCallCount shows correct and updates instantly just no Ping sound, however this morning I noticed that everytime the PhoneValet background script is executed, the system plays the Funk.aiff sound file about 20 seconds later. This has me thinking something is wrong.

Again, this is symptomatic of some part of the system not running correctly. Reinstall all the pieces in the various places. You might also want to restart you machine to make sure something else isn't interfering with operation.

I reinstalled all the pieces and restarted the computer, same problem

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:23 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Yes its running and the NewCallCount shows correct and updates instantly just no Ping sound, however this morning I noticed that everytime the PhoneValet background script is executed, the system plays the Funk.aiff sound file about 20 seconds later. This has me thinking something is wrong.

I figured this out. I made a change to the Backgroud Script at the following line
property unheardMessageCountActionGroup : "PhoneValet - has unheard voice mails"
I changed it to this and the Funk.aiff sound stopped playing
--property unheardMessageCountActionGroup : "PhoneValet - has unheard voice mails"
After that I changed it back to the original line and now my Ping sound is playing.

dnomode wrote:

This still is not working

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Jay wrote:
dnomode wrote:

Hello Jay,

You had me add the following to my script, isn't this telling the script to set the caller name to be blank? Is this possiably the reason the name is not spoken?
    set theCallerName to ""
I have reinstalled the files again and the last time I redownloaded the files before reinstalling and then restarted the computer.

Thanks
Ed

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

OK, this means that the "Indigo-PhoneValet Updater.scpt", which PhoneValet runs for each VoiceMail, isn't running correctly for some reason. In PhoneValet, are you sure the script is listed on the Voice Mail tab in the AppleScript Setup dialog and enabled? This section of code from that script:

-- since we can't get this data from the pvcall object in PhoneValet, we'll set it here
   -- as a set of properties that will be stored in the comment of the voicemail file
   -- itself - nice, because no matter how the voicemail is deleted it won't leave
   -- anything else laying around to clean up
   set theDetailsString to "caller:" & callerName & return
   set theDetailsString to theDetailsString & "number:" & domesticAreaCode & "-" & domesticNumber & return
   set theDetailsString to theDetailsString & "line:" & lineName & return
   set theDetailsString to theDetailsString & "mailbox:" & mailboxName
   -- Set the audio file's comment to theDetailsString
   tell application "Finder"
      try
         set comment of (file soundFilePath) to theDetailsString
      end try
   end tell

inserts some data into the audio file's comments (because we can't get to it through AppleScript directly to PhoneValet). The "PhoneValet Attachments.scpt" file then reads this data from the file's comments and uses it. The change I had you make keeps the attachment script from failing when there is no name data in that comments section. There should ALWAYS be data there, so something has failed.

Just to confirm that it's failing, you can look in:

/Library/Application Support/Parliant/Messages/Incoming Messages/

then look in the most recently dated folder, select a file in that folder, and do a Get Info to see the comments for the file. It should contain something like this:

caller: Cell Phone
number:XXX-XXXXXXX
line:XXX-XXX-XXXX
mailbox:Main

Let me know what you find.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

In PhoneValet, are you sure the script is listed on the Voice Mail tab in the AppleScript Setup dialog and enabled?
Yes, its listed and has a check mark.
inserts some data into the audio file's comments
I'm not sure where you want me to enter the data, sorry :oops:. Your code looks just like what I have on my computer.
Just to confirm that it's failing, you can look in:

/Library/Application Support/Parliant/Messages/Incoming Messages/

then look in the most recently dated folder, select a file in that folder, and do a Get Info to see the comments for the file.
Yes it looks like your example

Thank You
Ed