Jandy Aqualink Pool / Spa Control - AppleScripts updated

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:39 am
nlagaros offline

Re: Jandy Aqualink Pool / Spa Control - AppleScripts updated

hamw - I was just checking out the Autelis boards and think you have the PDA version of the device based on your postings. I'm not so sure that you can apply the TCP API firmware to that device. It may be scaled back to only support the PDA control interface. I'd check with them on this.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 am
hamw offline

I do have the RS controller, and the software link worked. The plugin hooked up:

Dec 29, 2011 7:16:09 AM
Enabling plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0"
Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 1471)
Plugin "Autelis Jandy" connected
Plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" started
Autelis Jandy Saved Plugin Configuration
Autelis Jandy Socket: 10.0.1.40:80 connected succesfully

but although the device I created has plenty of statuses listed, it does not have any actual values for air temp etc, which are always reported by the Jandy. Is the plugin not reading the controller, or how do I get the device to hook into the plugin?

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 am
nlagaros offline

Port 80 is the http interface - I have not implemented the restful request/response command set at this time. So, while it will connect to the device, there will be no messages coming in that the plugin will be able to interpret to populate the various statuses. You can try changing the port to 6000 and restarting the plugin. I'd actually be surprised if that works on the model of the device you have - unless any model can take any firmware.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:27 am
hamw offline

I have an RS 8 One Touch system. Was installed this summer. The Autelis unit I ordered was for the RS OneTouch system, not the PDA, so all should work.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 am
nlagaros offline

Great - so if you change to port 6000, and have the IP address set to the IP of the Autelis device, it should start working.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:33 am
hamw offline

Code: Select all
29Dec, 2011 11:26:07 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Room" humidity changed to 33.0
  Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0"
  Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 2212)
  Plugin "Autelis Jandy" disconnected
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 2279)
  Autelis Jandy                   Saved Plugin Configuration
  Autelis Jandy Error             Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 failed to connect. Please check the Russound configuration.

??

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:44 am
nlagaros offline

oops on the Russound comment - copied some code from another plugin. The error is still sound - it cannot connect to your Autelis on port 6000. What I would try is to telnet to the device from a command line -- simply type from a terminal window:

telnet 10.0.1.40 6000

It should say that it is connected. If you get an error like this:

zeus:~ nicholas$ telnet 192.168.0.101 6000
Trying 192.168.0.101...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.101: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

then I do not think you have the right firmware on the Autelis device.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:42 pm
hamw offline

I'll try that later but for now let's hold up -- just got a note from Autelis that they sent me an IR version instead of the RS One Touch. So you were right -- it is the wrong unit! They are sending me the correct version and we'll take it from there.

Appreciate the feedback and will let you know how it hooks up once I have the proper unit.

Also, re port 80, if that used for the HTTP communication, will I still be able to use the web browser app on the iPhone if the port is changed to 6000? The new One Touch panel emulation for programming is web based and looks pretty good.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:58 pm
nlagaros offline

Port 6000 is used exclusively for the TCP API - it will not interfere at all with the slick web interface. Let me know how you make out when you get the right unit.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm
hamw offline

Well, they sent me a new link for the v1.3.0 firmware for the IR unit, and it worked! The equipment and temp readings now appear in the list below the plugin and respond to changes in the web interface.

[code]Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0"
Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 3256)
Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 3260)
Autelis Jandy Saved Plugin Configuration
Autelis Jandy Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 connected succesfully/code]

The web control works from my home, but I can't get port 6000 when outside the network - states it can't connect to a restricted port. Any ideas?

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 pm
nlagaros offline

I'm not quite sure why you would need to connect to port 6000 from outside your network - perhaps I do not understand your implementation. You have two choices:

1. Use Indigo and build out a control page for it - this will allow you to access from outside your home as you would for any other Indigo control. This is what I am in the process of doing and one of the reasons I created the simple plugin. You can use prism or in my case, I create a VPN from my mobile device (paranoid about security).
  2. Re-direct your external IP address to the Autelis device. You would do this on your router - assuming you have nothing else already re-directed on port 80 and your ISP allows this.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 pm
hamw offline

Thanks for the suggestions re the ports. I'll give that a try.

Have set up a simple Indigo page which controls the lights, pump and temps so far. Tried to get the cleaner to come on; I though it should be Aux 1 based on its position on the Autelis web page, but it won't respond to the button presses, whether toggle or on/off, either on Indigo touch or in an Indigo web browser preview.

I looked at the states at the bottom of the Devices page for the Pool and saw that in addition to 15 AUX states there is a "Cleaner" state, and the telnet message when the cleaner is turned on is "!00 CLEAN=1". However, in the plugin's dropdown menus for pumps there is no Cleaner listed. Could a "Cleaner" be implemented since Aux 1 is not addressing the location?

Also got a couple of these when setting up the Aux buttons to try them all. I think I sent commands that were unsupported for my unit, e.g. Aux 8, which is not listed in the Autelis Equipment web page. Somehow this kills the plugin.

Autelis Jandy Error             Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 57, in actionAux
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 148, in actionGeneric
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 105, in sendMessage
<class 'socket.error'>: (32, 'Broken pipe')

and when reloading:

Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0"
  Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 4202)
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.0" (pid 4204)
  Autelis Jandy                   Saved Plugin Configuration
  Autelis Jandy Error             Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 failed to connect. Please check the Russound configuration.

I've had to force the Airport Express to reboot for the plugin to recover from the error.

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 am
nlagaros offline

Thanks so much for spending time testing the plugin. I added an action for the pool cleaner. I do not have one so get no response when I send the command - will rely on you to validate that command. The updated plugin is available on the download page.

As far as the crashing on invalid AUX commands - that is unusual and I cannot replicate it. In fact, the plugin currently queries all 15 AUX devices (whether they exist or not) on startup so I'm surprised that an individual action takes the thing down. You are getting a socket error in your test - this indicates that there is some real communications issue. Any invalid command should result in the following response: ?01 INVALID COMMAND.

Can you tell me what model number shows up for the Aqualink? It is in the MODEL state setting in the plugin. I have a 6524 - think it is an RS6.

Thanks again for putting the time in to this.

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:58 am
hamw offline

The new Cleaner control works like a charm. Unrelated to the plugin, my Autelis disconnected itself somehow from the Jandy. i've made a post on the Autelis forums. Would it be possible to add a "reboot" command as well to force a reconnect?

This plugin and the Autelis with standard WiFi bridging is great on its own and is a wonderful alternative to the Jandy box for those of us with far away controllers. It would have been very expensive to either run 4 conductor 250 feet (not to mention the possibility of link faiure from gardners etc) or to get a wireless serial bridge in addition to the serial box. Thank you so much for writing such a useful plugin!

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 am
nlagaros offline

Glad it is a workable solution hamw. As far as the reboot, if Autelis makes it available via the TCP API, I'm happy to create an action for this. Then a schedule or trigger could be implemented to deal with the issue you are having. I will say that I suspect some other issue. There should be no disconnects between the Aqualink and Autelis - perhaps a wiring issue?