New Carrier Infinity Thermostat Control Plugin?

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm
skidblad offline

New Carrier Infinity Thermostat Control Plugin?

I've just learned about a new thermostat for Carrier's Infinity line of heating/cooling systems that allows for both web-based and iPhone/Android control, and I'm hopeful that this might mean there's finally a way to integrate Infinity control into Indigo. I have no experience writing plugins for Indigo but perhaps this is the sort of project that someone in the community would be interested in tackling? It's something that I would certainly support in whatever way I can!

You can read more about the online/smartphone control options at the following links:

http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/en/u ... txccitw01/

https://www.myinfinitytouch.carrier.com/Infinity/Demo

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myinfin ... 04406?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nity&hl=en

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm
bbruck offline

Re: New Carrier Infinity Thermostat Control Plugin?

ohmigod

today I just paid my HVAC company $209 to rewire my carrier infinity to get rid of the carrier thermostat and wire in a venstar.

sigh

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 pm
skidblad offline

bbruck – does your Carrier Infinity have 2 zones? If so and if the Venstar can control both, then I might consider going that route as opposed to buying the systxccitw01 control module...

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 am
bbruck offline

No - just one zone.

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:19 pm
hamw offline

Any update on this? We are considering a carrier infinity system but would like to continue to use our venstar thermostats. Ideally, however, we would integrate the carrier thermostats directly into the system.

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:48 am
Bollar offline

hamw wrote:
Any update on this? We are considering a carrier infinity system but would like to continue to use our venstar thermostats. Ideally, however, we would integrate the carrier thermostats directly into the system.

I don't know the feasibility of using another thermostat with the Carrier system. It runs four wires between the SAM controller and each thermostat, but it's not a standard communications signal.

As for solutions officially offering connections to the system for automation purposes, the only ones Carrier/Bryant list are:

Crestron (www.crestron.com), Home Logic (www.homelogic.com), and AMX (www.AMX.com),

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:57 am
bbruck offline

I successfully attached an Ecobee tstat to my carrier infinity. Here's what I learned:
- The infinity uses a proprietary digital signal using four wires to their proprietary tstat.
- This gives all sorts of fancy features that I can't remember right now, but variable fan speed is one of them.
- It IS possible to wire the tstat to the furnace using an analog wiring system; however, a lot of installers will tell you this isn't possible, and carrier goes back and forth on it, but certainly does not recommend it. You will hear hours of lectures on why do you want to by a harley davidson motorcycle and cripple it into a moped.
- I tried but was NOT able to wire it successfully.
- My HVAC company thankfully sent a senior technician who WAS able to wire it successfully. It also involved changing wire attachments on the compressor outside.

Personally I love the new system, because I have WIDE temperature variations in the various rooms of my house, and have sensors in many of these rooms. The Ecobee uses a great algorhythm that includes whether the room is occupied, and whether you declare that the temp in such room should be counted during a specific period (like Sleep). My house is much more comfortable, and the system only runs when needed. I do not care that I lost some of the fancier features like auto fan speed - the system now turns ON and OFF when needed based on room occupancy which I felt was MUCH more important.

Lessons learned:
- If you're handy but not an HVAC guy/gal, I wouldn't try and wire it yourself.
- When talking to your HVAC contractor, see if any specific technicians have wired analog TStats into a Carrier Infinity. I would not trust anyone who hasn't done this before.

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 am
Bollar offline

bbruck wrote:
I successfully attached an Ecobee tstat to my carrier infinity.

That's great news for a single zone system! Love the Ecobee thermostats.

On a multi-zone system, you need to be able to control the variable dampers via the Infinity Damper Control (SYSTXCC4ZC01). The smarts to that is in the Zone 1 Infinity thermostat, which I don't think anyone has figured out how to replace.

My script reads the variables and can send commands to the system via the System Access Module, which is an old-style serial interface. It works, but is slow.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Page 1 of 1