iRule iPhone/iPod touch remote and Indigo...

Posted on
Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 am
rlust offline

Re: iRule iPhone/iPod touch remote and Indigo...

Got it! :)

The problem was that I added the device under network and not HTTP :(

Thanks for all of your help guys!!
Now I am on my way to designing my screens.
My Global Cache is due tomorrow, cannot wait to get that working!

Have you been able to control more than one device per emitter port?

Posted on
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 pm
rlust offline

Has any one figured out how to trigger a scene with a http put command?

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you looked over the RESTful API page on the Wiki?

The URL you'll need will be something like this:

Code: Select all
http://127.0.0.1:8176/actions/cooking_scene?_method=execute

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:57 pm
jguinn offline

All -
Thanks for posting all the incredible information. I've had an iPad for a few weeks now and already find myself gravitating toward device-specific remote apps (like DishNetwork, the DVPRemote app for my Roku, and the Apple Remote app for AppleTV) instead of my ProntoPro. Seems weird. Almost like I'm a traitor.

Anyway, before sinking money into licensing and hardware, I'm hoping some of you could help me just get a better "big picture" view of how you're integrating Indigo and iRule...

1. I'm envisioning building the control pages in iRule's desktop app. Some commands will generate IR from a Global Cache device. Others will send HTTP to Indigo running on my iMac. Correct?

2. If assumption #1 is correct, I shouldn't need an IR-to-Insteon device to take IR generated by iRule and convert to Insteon commands that Indigo is listening for to trigger some action. Correct?

3. (And I admittedly haven't done the research on iRule here, so please flame away...) I assume I can build device-specific control pages in iRule? In other words, I could have a full-featured set of pages for the iPad and then create some stripped-not-equipped smaller pages that would allow me to buy a gently-used iPod Touch that would be dedicated for very simple functions - like just executing a few power on commands and then giving me basic volume and channel control capabilities?

4. How fast is the IR signaling with the Global Cache devices? In other words, when I touch a button on a control page is there an obvious delay before the IR command is broadcast? How about "holding down" a button to scroll rapidly? Any issues with that?

Thanks in advance!
--Jason

Posted on
Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 pm
bcall offline

It looks like this thread hasn't been active for a while, but I'm curious about the experience of others in combining iRule and indigo. I've been using iRule for over a year and have been very happy. I just started using indigo and I'm (I think) about to convert my iRule panels to indigo control pages. If others have done this, or considered and rejected this, I'd be interested in hearing their pros/cons. Here ate mine (though I must admit that I'm not yet that familiar with indigo control pages).

Pros:
Indigo allows for persistent retention of device state information
Control pages allow better integration of feedback (so far iRule feedback is very limited)
Cons:
Control pages don't give audible feedback on button pushes. :)
Controlling IP devices in Indigo requires writing plugins

I originally thought I'd use indigo as a back end with iRule as the front end communicating through indigo. But I really like the ability of the control pages to tightly integrate feedback. Buttons actually change based on the current state. IRule feedback is limited to displaying state, not affecting the UI based on state. In exchange for getting that enhanced feedback integration, I'm willing to give up the audible button clicks (though I will definitely miss that and wish there was a way to do that on a control page :). I'm also willing to attempt to create the necessary plugins, assuming I can. :) I'm just wondering if there are other considerations I should take into account before I jump all the way in.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.