Device Factory - Indigo 7 Changes

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am
autolog offline

Device Factory - Indigo 7 Changes

With the new facility in Indigo 7 to great and delete Factory devices without using the Device Factory UI, is it possible to disable the Define and Sync... button in the Edit Device Group dialogue?

I want to be able to create and delete factory devices without the user being able to add or delete them via that dialogue. I guess I could make the button do nothing?
I realise I would have to handle the user deleting a device normally. :)

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Device Factory - Indigo 7 Changes

I'm confused - if you have devices grouped then you still only get the single DnS button for the main device. Shouldn't there be something that the main device needs to get configured?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm
autolog offline

I am not sure it will work out but I was looking to use a device factory to set up groups of LIFX lamps. At the moment the plugin automatically discovers and creates LIFX lamp evices. If the LIFX lamp is determined to be in a group (something that can be set in the LIFX App), I was thinking of setting up a Device Factory based on the group name and the LIFX devices becoming members of that Factory or possibly a new device type (rather than the original device). LIFX lamps can only be in one group.

It would be nice to have the Group device show all the associated LIFX lamps that belong to that group. This can all be done automatically and doesn't need a DnS to set it up. :)

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Gotcha. Hiding or disabling the DnS button isn't currently possible. Typically for scenarios like this the DnS dialog would be where the user is given the option to delete (and maybe add) the devices to the group. How will the user specify to delete a device? I ask because:

One other issue though is that devices in a group cannot be deleted individually by Indigo's normal Delete button UI. If the user presses that they'll get the warning that the device is part of a group and they'll be asked if they want to proceed with deleting the entire group. So for example, with a motion multi-sensor it isn't possible for the user to delete just the temperature sensor of the group.

But maybe that is okay if your plugin always creates/deletes the devices... but note that (automatically deleting devices) will also delete Triggers that are using a device state changed type on that device, and it will delete Control Page controls that are tied to that device. So normally it is best to have the UI initiate the delete request in some fashion.

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 pm
autolog offline

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will discard this idea. I think I would end up using this feature in a way that it wasn't intended. :)

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You could look at how I did this with Hue bulbs in Device Extensions. Go to the Git repo and you can see it, it's not ready for the public yet but I'm pretty sure the Hue group is in the online build. The concept for mine was that I put multiple Hue's into a single group that could not only turn on and off the members but also change their colors in addition to having all bulbs slave from one of the other bulbs so that if that bulb went off/on/dim/color changed then the slaves would follow and then update the group device too. It came out pretty nice, needs a few tweaks but it sounds like it's sort of what you were wanting to do.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1