Update checking in Plugin base class

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 am
FlyingDiver offline

Update checking in Plugin base class

When M&J add update checking (against the plugin store) to the Indigo Plugin base class (class Plugin(indigo.PluginBase)), will the plugin need to have any code to support updating? Sure, we could code in calls to base class functions to do the check, but it would also be possible to put the check in a thread started by the base class init. That would also mean that any configurability of update check frequency would be at the Indigo client level.

Less boilerplate code, which is a good thing, IMO. :)

Thoughts?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Update checking in Plugin base class

It is my impression that the Plugin Store update checking will be built into the software and why it's such an undertaking for them to implement it (and why it's not making the next version). This is speculation based on what Jay has stated thus far but that is what I'm thinking it will be and why I'm not going to spend time putting code into my plugins unless I feel it really is important to do so since I'll yank it out at the time of implementation anyway.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
When M&J add update checking (against the plugin store) to the Indigo Plugin base class (class Plugin(indigo.PluginBase)), will the plugin need to have any code to support updating?

This is likely not how we'll be implementing it. Update checking for Indigo itself lives in the server (not in any plugin), and it's likely we'll piggyback on that and expand it to include plugins as well (so, Server and Mac Client changes). Not guaranteed of course, but I think that's our current thinking. It's also why it's going to take longer than implementing it in the plugin base class - because we want to make sure it's the best user experience.

And, completely invisible to the plugin so you won't have to do anything.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
And, completely invisible to the plugin so you won't have to do anything.

Other than rip out any existing updater code, that is. Right? :lol:

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:45 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Other than rip out any existing updater code, that is. Right?

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I'm not going to spend time putting code into my plugins unless I feel it really is important to do so since I'll yank it out at the time of implementation anyway.

:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
Other than rip out any existing updater code, that is. Right? :lol:

Any existing code has nothing to do with the built-in version checking, so, no, you don't have to do anything to get built-in version checking to work. :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1