Weird SupportURL behavior for actions

Posted on
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am
jon offline

Weird SupportURL behavior for actions

Since my plugin has a lot of action options, I wanted to break up the support info into sub-sections matching how the actions are divided.

I started with one "master" supportURL for actions as described in the example http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... actionsxml

That worked fine. I then added additional support URLs in the ConfigUI elements of actions that had extra configuration detail to them, as I found in some of the other indigodomo official plugins (don't remember which one I looked at). These new support URLs are also working fine.

The weird thing is, after adding the specific support URLs, the "?" button for actions that lack a specific support URL opens the supportURL from Info.plist rather than the top-level supportURL from actions.xml

The documentation says
As with <Event>, your <Action> elements can define a <SupportURL> element as well - the actions dialog now has a help button on it and if one of your actions is selected clicking on the help button will take your user to the specified URL. If you don’t specify one then the default help page for all trigger events will show.

I assumed that was a cut-and-paste error and intended to say "If you don’t specify one then the default help page for all actions will show." but actually neither of those things is happening.

DId I stumble across an Indigo bug, or am I using supportURLs incorrectly?

Posted on
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Weird SupportURL behavior for actions

Yes, there are actually a couple of bugs here: first, the some of the URLs that the client is opening are wrong so you always get to the top of the Indigo Overview page rather than the specific action (the anchors are broken) - this happened when we released Indigo 7 over a year ago. Guess that pretty much sums up how often people use the ? buttons...

The link that's used when a plugin action is selected is not only going to a broken URL, but it's also the incorrect URL. This apparently has been there since we introduced plugins in Indigo 5 and broke when we released Indigo 7. I don't believe at this point in the UI flow we actually have the URL specified in the Actions.xml, so it's likely it will never go to the specific help URL (so it's a doc bug as well) but rather would go to a more generic "Plugin Actions" section of the docs (which doesn't exist ATM).

The ? button in the config dialog for the action should be going to the right spot as configured in your plugin.

We'll look at getting this straightened out in an upcoming release.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 am
jon offline

Re: Weird SupportURL behavior for actions

Thanks for the quick reply! It's simple enough to work around by just putting my "default" supportURL in every action that doesn't have it's own URL, but I didn't want to do that without making sure I was using the options correctly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1